MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/11/2009 10:33 AM

leg CALF pain all the time magnesium/lyme??

VINTAGEBUG

Hi guys I've tried taking Magnesium suppliments to see if it helps with the constant calf muscle pain I have- my legs hurt and throb all the time. I bought the magnesium from the health food store and it is in food state (whole food) form which has a different dosage info than regular. How much should i be taking? How long does it take to restore or reverse magnesium deficiency? Could it be the lyme or bart causing the pain? It hurts to stand (throbs) and even sittin git always hurts- makes me wonder if there are vein issues- but it is both sides and sore to the touch- any ideas?

05/11/2009 11:57 AM
Snickers
Snickers  

I take 400mg of Magnesium Citrate daily. I started taking it for muscle cramps in my calves. It didn't really do anything for it unfortunately. I later found out that the calf cramps are due to my lyme etc. At the time I didn't know that I had lyme.

So you can try the magnesium to see if it helps. It is usually good to take magnesium anyways. But the pain could be due to your lyme or bart.

I am not sure about the dosage in whole food form?? What does it say on the package? I know that people take different dosages of magnesium depending on what they need. I have heard that too much would cause you to have the runs so some people figure out their dose based on that. They take just under what would cause bowel intolerance. Personally I am just taking the recommended dose that is on my magnesium bottle. Do you have an LLMD? Maybe they could tell you how much to take.

Take Care!

Pam

05/12/2009 05:34 AM
VINTAGEBUG

I do have a llmd and I'll ask him abou the whole food amount. The calf pain and muscle pain just seems worse or at least the same since I've started the new antibiotic round and I'm so frustrated- it makes me feel like it will always feel like this

05/12/2009 09:02 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

My LLMD had me taking a minimum of 1000mgs of mag a day...on bad days I did take more - but if I didnt take the 1000mgs - i was in tons of pain...

Talk with the doc - but with a whole food it is going to be a bit different - because you are taking it in a more natural form...so it may be a little less...

Slow-Mag was one of the better mag supplements for me...but I had to take quite a few to get my 1000mgs - and the stuff was a bit expensive at that rate...

See what the doc says...

What I also do, is take really hot showers - and i have one of those removable shower heads with a long hose...and i use the massager on my legs...it is such a relief...

05/12/2009 10:45 AM
VINTAGEBUG

thanks- so you think it's more of a magnesium issue?

05/12/2009 11:15 AM
Snickers
Snickers  

If the antibiotics make it worse that would make me think it is due to the lyme or bart. It could still be a magnesium issue though. I would try the magnesium. See what your doc says about the whole foods dosage since it would be different. It might help. Definitely let us know if it works or not.

Pam Smile

05/12/2009 11:23 AM
VINTAGEBUG

I will thanks! It's hard to tell if it was worse before or after starting the antibiotics- they have hurt for a long time now...I think I might need to be at a higher dose of magnesium- I had never taken it before and have had lyme for a year now- so I am not sure how long it takes before noticing improvement...

05/12/2009 11:30 AM
Snickers
Snickers  

Post edited by: Snickers, at: 05/13/2009 04:53 PM

05/12/2009 01:01 PM
smileanyway
smileanyway  

More then likely it is the lyme that is causing your pain. I'm sorry that your hurting. Mag can help with this even if it's lyme. Also my LLMD that I was seeing (until he died0 told me that most lyme patients are diffecient in mag and vit b. How long have you been taking it for? It does take a while to acumulate and start working. I hope this has helped.

05/12/2009 01:20 PM
VINTAGEBUG

I just started the magnesium a week so so ago- I hope that is the issue and not that it is Lyme...

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved