MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/07/2009 07:07 AM

May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month!!!!!!

jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Make a point to educate someone this month about Lyme Disease! I have compiled a list you can print and give to anyone with links they can visit or you can print for them. Pass it through email and anyway you can - lets get people educated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAY IS LYME DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH!

12 Lyme Disease Facts

1). You are more than 10 times more likely to get Lyme Disease than West Nile Virus. Ticks are everywhere and you are most likely to be bitten in your own yard.

2). Lyme Disease has surpassed AIDS as the #1 infectious disease in the U.S.

3). Testing for Lyme Disease is UNRELIABLE. To be tested correctly you must have your blood tested through a tick borne specialty labe such as Igenex Lab in Palo Alto.

4). Lyme Disease is passed many ways, ticks, all biting blood-sucking insects can be carriers.

5). The average primary Md knows NOTHING about Lyme Disease even though they believe they do.

6). Lyme Disease, if not caught right after the bite can become chronic with multiple systemic (body-wide) symptoms that is extremely hard to treat and patients only hope is long term antibiotics, sometimes YEARS and hope for remission.

7). You know someone with Lyme Disease and they likely don't know it. It is the "great imitator" If you know someone with pain, back problems, knee problems, Fibro, anxiety, migraines - you know someone with Lyme. There are 100 symptoms of Lyme Disease.

8). Only Lyme literate Md's treat Lyme Disease effectively, not found in your local phone book either. Contact The Lyme Disease Association for more information Lyme doctor referral.

9). Lyme Disease enters the central nervous system almost immediately and even if "cured" you can relapse many years later.

10). The symptoms of LD are so devastating it can be completely disabling with symptoms similar to Parkinsons, Alzheimer's, MS or minor as migraines and insomnia and may be the cause of these diseases!

11). Lyme Disease may be responsible for all psychiatric illness and the number one cause of LD death is suicide.

12). Lyme Disease can kill.

Links to educate the misinformed or uneducated:

http://www.thehumansideoflyme.net/

www.mdjunction.com

http://www.ei-resource.org/illness-info ... e-disease/

www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

www.lymefighters.org

http://www.ilads.org/PRBrochure.pdf

http://www.ilads.org/PsychiatristBrochure.pdf

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/Prima ... _08_08.pdf

05/07/2009 07:11 AM
Bethy

Thank you Miss Jaime! I'll do exactly that! I have a facebook account and have reconnected with my high school buddies and there are Lyme Support Groups that I have linked to and posted as my "Causes". Just about all my former classmates still reside in the Southern Maryland and Northern Virginia area so most of them have been "touched" in some way with Lyme Disease and are so very supportive! I encourage everyone I meet to have their yards sprayed for ticks and fleas to protect themselves and their pets from Lyme Diseae!

Thanks for all you do!

Beth

05/07/2009 07:12 AM
Bethy

P.S. I just posted a discussion about 1st Annual 5K Run for Lyme Disease in Springfield VA.

05/07/2009 07:18 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Excellent Beth! Way to spread the word and get people educated Smile

05/07/2009 07:26 AM
Julie4848

Jaime: Funny you said this...I was at the Garden Center yesterday and I overheard this woman talking about LYME...So I asked her about it. Her dad got it last year and is having a hard time. I did tell her about MD and I am going to meet her and bring her all I have on lyme on Sat.

Then this other woman overheard the converation and said to us "WHY DO THEY TREAT LYME LIKE ITS THE FLU" I asked her what she meant. She said "All you hear is take 30 days worth of abx's and all will be AOK" she knew better... she knew about lyme and what effects it has on us...I thought that was pretty cool...

Hope you are doing well

Julie

05/07/2009 07:29 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Cool Jules, way to get out there and educate! that's great you're going to meet her on sat!

HERE"S A COOL IDEA I"M DOING!!!!

I just copied and pasted the info from above and put it into an email to local news stations. I just said "hey my name is jaime I suffer from late stage chronic lyme disease and may is lyme awareness month, I have here a great fact sheet that would make for a wonderful story and help educate the people in our town, thank you for your time" and then pasted the fact sheet in the email...

it would be great if we could get everyone to do this in their towns, even better if the news stations get several emails in the same town, then it might wake them up!

05/07/2009 07:33 AM
Bethy

Excellent Idea Jaime!!!! I'll do just that!

05/18/2009 08:21 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

well I've sent this on to papers in my area, sadly haven't heard back from news stations, apparently sports are more important in this country!

I did print this out though and passed out about 20 copies or so, some at sams club, some at the craft store when I went to buy lime green ribbon, and some at the hospital when I did blood work...people have been pretty receptive. I really want to get more out , I wish the news would do something...maybe the paper will...

don't forget to tie the green ribbons on your trees!!!

05/27/2009 09:08 AM
mjbrox

you know there are some groups that are going to more likly to get LD like MTBIkers.

You might contact www.imba.com/

They are an unbelievable MTB advocacy group that practically every mountain biker is a member of.

Almost every time I go biking, I pull ticks off me and my dog

04/01/2010 06:35 AM
Dancingwinde

I had an idea yesterday, and hadn't even read this yet.....funny how great minds think alike...I thought I would share and see how you all feel about it.

Given that Lyme Disease Awareness month is coming up, I thought it would be great if we could make it big news.

If we all took our personal stories, along with Jaime's top 12 and links, and sent them to every doctor that misdiagnosed us, every congressman (not just our own), the White House, every local newspaper, news station, and radio station, informing them that it is Lyme Disease Awareness month, it may bring it to light, if even for a brief moment.

Even if your local news station simply said, "Politicians and local news affiliates are being flooded with letters from Lyme Disease sufferers this week for Lyme Awareness Month...." at least it would get people thinking.

Perhaps we could pick a week in May to all do this. That way, it is big on activism, and education, without draining ourselves. If everyone did their part, it could be huge.

Now, I have thought of the fact that a lucky few of us are receiving treatment using our insurance, and there is the possibility of backlash from the insurance companies. I figure, if that is the case, those people could simply write at the bottom of the letter that they would be more than happy to include their name, except for the fear that their insurance will cut them off from treatment.

I would still suggest using your name to your doctor's, however, so they can clue in.

Feedback, ideas?

Blessings,

Dancingwinde

Post edited by: Dancingwinde, at: 04/01/2010 06:37 AM

Post edited by: Dancingwinde, at: 04/01/2010 08:04 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved