MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/11/2009 08:33 PM

Sex drive is gone.... is it gone forever?

sosotired

While this is an embarrassing subject, perhaps it's easiest to speak with a bunch of strangers about it. I know there are so many worse symptoms but this is really bothering me because I never had much of one to begin with and was usually holding on to my relationships with a thread. Now that it is clearly, "not all in my head," I am kind of freaked out.

A few months ago I noticed I was really never had the desire to have sex anymore and it hurt if I did. This kept getting worse and worse until I realized I had no moisture in that area whatsoever. That is what made me realize something was actually wrong with me. I was in need of my annual checkup and figured I would mention it to my doctor when I saw her next month, but I got this Lyme diagnosis two weeks ago and figure that is why this has been occurring.

I have been on the antibiotics for two weeks and have found this issue to be worse than ever. The idea of my significant other touching me is making me cringe.

So while this is not the worst thing in the world, it is really bothering me. I am afraid of it never coming back because it feels like it is never coming back. The lyme symptoms come and go throughout the day. This is a constant thing, so it's kind of scarier because I can't remember what it feels like to not feel this way.

Plus like I said, my sex drive has always been low and that is something I always wished I could change about myself. Now it changed for the worse! I'm not married, but would like to be one day....

can anyone relate or give me some advise....I'm having a bad night. Sigh.

04/11/2009 10:54 PM
Canuck
Canuck  

Yes yes yes in the me too sort of way. Replying on cell will b on of shortly. Would you like me to reply with scientific reasons for sig other to learn too? That I can do and then I can delete this one.

04/12/2009 05:42 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Its a good idea to have your hormone levels checked and your adrenals...

I once watched a show and listened to a woman describe for her how things changed for her after having a hysterectomy. Well it was the same for me - except I had been chemically altered by my own body...

when I moved here to CO, 3yrs ago, I went to a holistic doc who did a biofeedback test on me...and my adrenals were nearly bone dry...

within a month of his hormonal therapy...my drive was returning, and got preggo! Since then, with my trusty Minerva IUC...which releases small amts of hormones...Life has never been better in that particular area...

So yes, it can come back...ya gotta fight for it...

And yes there were somethings that I did to help...

Christine

04/12/2009 06:13 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have to say, my sex drive was nearly non existant thru my 20's. I started lyme treatment at age 28, and while on omnicef the FIRST time, hubby was a happy man. It has since gone back to they way it "was" but I think it's because I have felt so bad for so long, the smallest stimultation to my nervous system, good or bad, is uproaring.

I still do my "wifely" duties, and I know it's difficult for many lyme relationships. So many of us have been so sick for so long, so many symptoms, it's everything we have just to get thru the neccisity of the days...the "extras" get dropped.

It can come back, YES , that's the good news as Christine shared with us. I would suggest too getting adrenals checks, many of us have issues with that....got my test sitting here from 2 months ago I still need to do. He didn't do the right one, so I am irritated, and didn't wan't to bother.

04/12/2009 06:20 AM
dharma79
dharma79  
VIP Member

I totally understand your problem. It is one for many of us.

If it isn't the zombie-like fatigue, or how tender every bit of our flesh is, it could also be side effects of the different drugs we are on.

The fact remains, that once you have exhausted the possibility that it is a medical issue, you can try some behavior modification.

What I mean by this, specifically, is that sex begets more sex.

If you make yourself do it whether you really want to or not...you usually wind up being happy you did.

Explain how you are feeling to your partner, reasssuring them it hasn't anything to do with your feelings about them, but is a physical symptom of your illness that you are going to need a little help with.

For example: I have asked my partner to please initiate when he pleases, but that it is going to take a little bit of extra work Wink on his part.

I also explained how my body hurts in different place at different times and mostly all over. LOL He is gentle and considerate and we are always trying to find the most comfortable positioning for me.

It has actually even become a bit of a game of sorts...Silly

The more you do it, the more you'll want to!

And if the situation calls for help from products, there are so many to choose from...

You are not alone here. I hope this helped!

Sideways

Post edited by: dharma79, at: 04/12/2009 06:27

04/12/2009 06:46 AM
ACajunBabe4U
ACajunBabe4U  

Wow, I guess I should ask more questions so I know the full disadvantages of this disease. I always thought it was just me...lol Guess it's not!! And speaking of soreness, I have wayyyyy to much soreness EVERYWHERE in my body to say...nooooo not tonight. But when you live with someone who is obsessed with sex, it causes problems. So I try to enjoy it as much as possible. I'll have to tell him that the disease is causing this. He has thought for over 7 years that it was him. Boy will he be a happy camper now to know it's not him...it's me...

04/12/2009 06:48 AM
ACajunBabe4U
ACajunBabe4U  

And as sosotired said....I think it's easier to talk about here with strangers. Let me know of anything that can help in this area. I'm sure my Mikey would appreciate it greatly...lol

04/12/2009 09:02 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Like Dharma said - it does become like a game...

And there are things and products that can really help too...

Fortunately for me, we have found ways to use my hypersensitive nerves to an advantage...but sometimes I do pay for it after...but what I also do is take an extra dose of vit c before - and I crave it after...

sometimes I will eat some oranges, or other fruits...its sweet - but healthy...it really helps...and i dont feel so bad in the morning.

Learn to be creative with your partner...

And yes, the more you do it - it can help a lot...getting the good chemicals flowing can make improvements...an ob/gyn explained to me that by getting your body in a rhythm can help your body to start producing the right hormones and such...

But it takes time...dont loose hope...this is a BIG Lyme issue

Christine

04/12/2009 03:39 PM
MamboMick
MamboMickPosts: 269

I thought this thread was going to be about Anti-depressants, since the said topic is one of the major complaints about Anti-Depressant side effects

04/12/2009 04:33 PM
sciteacher
sciteacher  

I'm sure there have to be some natural products to stimulate the drive...some of us can't take hormones..even after hysterectomy due to estrogen receptive cancers that are genetic in our families....vitamins help especially folic acid that can cross the barrier into the nervous system..it helps release endorphins...which make you have more drive....it really helped when I took it....how do you say......happy.......LOL

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved