MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/08/2009 12:54 PM

Lyme Disease passing to your unborn baby.

KatiB
KatiB  

I am only 18 and not ready to have kids yet. I know that we are not sure whether it can be passed sexually and I have talked to my doctor about transmission to an unborn child. She said that it can be passed to your child but if you are put on the right antibiotics then the baby will not have it when it is born. Is this true for chronic lyme as well?

When I am ready to have children I dont want to put them in the same pain that I have had to go through.

04/08/2009 05:21 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

In utero and breastmilk can pass it...

I have 4 kids...and may have passed it because I was either not in treatment or had to stop...

But yes with proper care - and getting the disease under control...the chances are better for you to not pass it...

04/08/2009 07:00 PM
krissy
krissy  

Getting the right care now is the key. My son is 5 and i passed it on 2 him. He was positive thru IGeneX. I contracted Lyme in 1999 and dx in June of 2008. I had a son on Nov 8th 2005 and he was stillborn at 39 weeks. He died 1 day b4 i was due to deliver. I know in my heart that if we exhumed him, which i would never do, he would be infected also.

I have a 2 year old daughter that shows no signs and symptoms so i only pray that the good Lord has sparred her.

You r young so just focus on getting well and worry about the children when that time come.

Blesses 2 u,

Krissy

04/08/2009 08:02 PM
KatiB
KatiB  

Thank you so much krissy. Im sorry to hear about the child you lost that takes a lot of strength. The support you gave me as well as the others on here are giving me are amazing and really helping.

04/09/2009 04:43 AM
dharma79
dharma79  
VIP Member

Hi Kati and welcome here.

This is a really great group and I hope you find it as helpful as my family has.

I have had Lyme since 1994, diagnosed in 1999. My mom was just dx in Jan and my youngest sis in March. We are all on here...(mom = Toothfairy, sis = Korrinesays)

My sister Korrine is about your age, she's 19.

We all just found out this Monday that my daughter, she's almost 2, is also positive, presumably from me either in utero or via breastmilk...either way, she got it from me.

So my suggestion is to remain safe, becuase we don't know for sure the true reach of this disease.

Traditional docs told be repeatedly that I needn't worry for the safety of my child where Lyme is concerned...they were all wrong.

So have safe sex or safer still, don't have sex! LOL

And when you are ready to have a family, make sure you have doctors caring for you that are just as concerned about your Lyme as you are. There are tx options for pregnant women with Lyme.

I know this is all very overwhelming but just don't get too ahead of yourself. Just take care of you right now. Cool

Again, welcome! If you need anything, please feel free to ask...Smile

04/11/2009 07:12 PM
ACajunBabe4U
ACajunBabe4U  

Hi everyone,

As some of you already know, both my children have symptoms and one tested positive through IGeneX and one tested negative but has many bands present. There are enough that our LLMD thinks she needs treatment as well. It is not active right now. My mom is the same as my daughter who tested negative with bands present but not active right now. My brother and I both tested positive on both IGM and IGG tests My daughter, my brother and myself have been turned in to the CDC for positive results. There is a possibility that my mom passed it to me and him during pregnancy, but I was bitten as a small child, so we are not sure. I passed it on to my children who have never had ticks on them. If I had known I had this disease, I would never had my girls until after it was gone or safely under control with no chance of passing it on....

04/12/2009 07:47 AM
dharma79
dharma79  
VIP Member

That's what makes me so mad!

We aren't being given all the info we need as patients/parents to be able to make informed decisions about our own healthcare or our children's for that matter!

I hope they all feel terrible when they finally learn the true ramifications and consequences of their malpractice!

Pinch Ooooooh! I get so frustrated. LOL Sideways

05/14/2012 06:11 PM
mem2416

What is the percent chance of passing it though utero and breast milk, and how long would it take to find out?

05/14/2012 06:27 PM
littlegirlbigdream
littlegirlbigdream  

I have been told 50% through breast milk and 50% in utero, but then again I could be wrong.

Post edited by: littlegirlbigdream, at: 05/14/2012 06:27 PM

05/14/2012 07:43 PM
Ettrick
Ettrick  

Hanna, we lost our first, like Krissy. Both our boys now have it. No proof on the first, of course, but 2 for 2.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved