MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/09/2012 09:34 PM

Sugar and Lyme

KristinW

I had always heard that eating sugar is horrible for lyme. I'm wondering if anyone understands why.

A quick background will clarify where I'm coming from. I had undiagnosed lyme for 3 1/2 years and was incapacitated on and off with terrible muscle problems and extreme fatigue...among all the other typical lyme symptoms.

I was diagnosed in the Fall of 2011 and was on 9 mo. of antibiotics and supplements (which I still take). I've also followed a strict diet since the time of my diagnosis including giving up sugar. I've been off of sugar for nearly a year now.

My lyme is much better. I am off of the antibiotic. I'm getting a handle on the fatigue and my muscle dystonia, tremors and weakness are under control. My lyme may be gone, but the other day when I treated myself to some sugar, I started getting a tremor, muscle spasms and my knees went out from under me.

Why am I getting such a reaction to the sugar? Could it be that my body can't handle the breaking down of the sugar because of the effects of lyme on my system? Maybe someone has a better idea about what is happening.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long question.Smile I'd love to glean from some of your experiences.

08/09/2012 10:05 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

Kristin- Most bacterial infections feed off of sugar, that is one of the reasons LD & Co. Pts should not eat any.

The other reason is most of us (if not all) suffer from systemic yeast infections, regardless if we test positive or not. IMO, the yeast infection is the longest & hardest infection to get rid off.

If you are having such a bad reaction to eating sugar, I would chalk it up to yeast (& possible bacterial infections) & just stay away from it. Your body will thank you in the long run. I know it sucks but it is what it is. Best wishes!!!

Post edited by: RavenLunatic, at: 08/09/2012 10:06 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved