MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/03/2009 10:43 PM

WE THANK YOU KATHY FOWLER SILVERSTEIN

Canuck
Canuck  

I want to take a minute to thank Kathy from the bottom of my heart, and on behalf of ALL of the people who suffer with Lyme..

Wikipedia:

Kathy Fowler is a medical reporter at Washington, D.C.'s ABC affiliate WJLA-TV.[1]

She has been reporting on medical breakthroughs, the healthcare system and everyday health issues affecting American's lives for more than 10 years.

Fowler's ability to simplify complicated medical topics and tell compelling human interest stories has earned her a National Emmy Award.

She has also earned a regional Edward R. Murrow Award for her reports on the black market sales of human organs in the Philippines.

Fowler has also been nominated for several Emmys, one of which was for telling her own personal story about being a passenger in a fatal car crash when she was a teenager.

For the past two years, she has spoken to more than 10,000 students in the D.C. Metro area about the life long impact of reckless driving.

Fowler also traveled to South Korea to follow the first American paralysis patient through a stem cell transplant.

Before joining ABC-7 News in June 2001, Kathy reported at WJZ-TV in Baltimore, Maryland at NBC-17 in Raleigh, North Carolina and at WBNS in Columbus, Ohio.

Kathy is married and has a son and a daughter.

Canuck Wiki:

(what I remember so if anything is incorrect, Kathy let me know)

Kathy was in a horrifying car accident when she was around the age of 19.

She wasn't found for 8 hrs and fought for her life while stranded in a field with life threatening injuries..

During this time, she was probably bitten/infected with Lyme and Co.

She did have a bullseye rash on her knee, and when she was in the hospital, her injuries were more 'important' of course, and they did see this rash, said it's 'probably Lyme' and gave her a short course of antibiotics..

It was ten years later that Kathy started to have problems prompting her to seek the truth.

Neurological aspects of Lyme had started to tell her she wasn't okay.

I believe she had been given a diagnosis of legionnaires at the age of 25 and when she really started having so many neurological problems along with immune system deficiency (which we all seem to suffer from) she was told to pursue the possibility of Lyme.

People had mentioned it from time to time, it struck a cord and she started researching.

Much like the rest of us, she soon learned about this illness and how detrimental it can be as she too suffered with Chronic Lyme..

Much like me, she knew to pursue a story when she was told to leave well enough alone. There was something THERE.. A truth that had to be discovered and told..

So, Kathy soon helped shed the Lyme light on an acquaintance- Dr. Oz.

She prompted him to do a show on the film Under Our Skin, and about Lyme Disease...

Thanks to her, we now have a chance at this illness finally getting some recognition by mainstream, the media, the general public, the world..

Sometimes it takes Oprah and her platforms to better us as human beings. So be it!

I am ever so thankful for all you have done for us Kathy..

This without a doubt- should win the Nobel Prize for the most controversial diseases of this century..

You have brought about change and have been recognized for your former achievements..

With this we give great recognition, and I know you will be remembered as one of the key players here.

Bless you and may you be healthy for years to come

used quotes to enlarge text, broke up longer paragraphs; canuck did the bolding; i underlined certain things. bettyg, iowa leader Smile

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 10/21/2010 12:50 AM

03/03/2009 11:01 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Kathy,

My heartfelt gratitude for helping ALL OF US CHRONIC LYME/CO-INFECTON PATIENTS by speaking to Dr. Oz on behalf of yourself, and thousands of internationally!

You opened the door with Dr. Oz on our HUGE PROMOTION OF FLOODING OPRAH'S COMMUNITY PAGE WITH OUR STORIES!!

God bless you for pursuing your illness, and thank God you were found after your terrible accident.

Bless you too for educating teens on driving. 2 teens died yesterday in my area!

Keep up the good work Kathy! WE ALL APPLAUD YOU in helping make LYME become a houshold every day word!

BettyG

Iowa lyme activist

03/04/2009 02:58 AM
Smiffy
Smiffy  

what a wonderful lady

03/04/2009 08:43 AM
Canuck
Canuck  

Oh she sure is.. Truly an inspiration... Going through this , we all are too. Everyone who has the will to keep going and seek the answers. So kudos to all of you!

03/05/2009 10:30 AM
Canuck
Canuck  

And we are moving right along!

03/05/2009 12:21 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Cool! Fortunately, there's always someone out there able to be the activists with the power that us little folk just can't weild! Great job, Kathy!! Laughing Anyone know what the numbers are up to with reporting stories to Dr. Oz/Oprah? I haven't seen anything in a couple days!

*hugs*

jen Smile

03/05/2009 12:43 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

...1 0 5 9 ... and counting!! 1500 is within reach easy!!

now back to kathy; we just can NOT thank you enough from the bottom of our hearts for all you've done for us/YOU since you have lyme also!!

KUDOS TO KATHY!! KOK Wink

03/05/2009 02:46 PM
Canuck
Canuck  

1068- I put my poem back up there and its HUGE- oh well what's done is done! Keep it up guys! It only took 30 seconds to show up on the board this time---Kathy is our hero, as are all of you guys here there and everywhere suffering

Post edited by: Canuck, at: 03/05/2009 14:47

03/07/2009 04:35 PM
Canuck
Canuck  

1172...We're not done yet..

03/08/2009 11:52 PM
marley

Thank you Kathy for helping so many people who are struggling with this horrible disease.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved