MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/21/2009 07:33 AM

high cortisol levels?

rjp0508

Hi,

Anyone here have experience with high cortisol levels? If so, how did you treat it? I just got my lab (NeuroScience) report and cortisol is elevated; epinephrine, norepinephrine and seratonin are all low.

Thanks!

Randy

02/21/2009 08:57 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Randy....it is fairly common with lyme to have high cortisol levels, did u do the spit test? where you do it thru different times of the day to see when it's elevated most? does it coinside with pain?

I've never been tested, but I'm quite sure mine is off the charts. Hopefully someone will come along and offer some tips, as I really don't know much on this part of it all.

warmest regards,

jaime

02/21/2009 09:53 AM
rjp0508

Yes, I did the spit test at four different times of the day. I do not really have much pain, it's extreme weakness and fatigue..

Thanks for replying.

Best,

Randy

02/21/2009 01:59 PM
BuckeyeLyme

Hi, I have cortisol levels that are thru the roof! It's your body's natural stress hormone, so I'm betting most of us lymies suffer. My llmd has me do magnesium injections every other day. Magnesium is a natural sedative type nutrient that most people, Lyme or not, lack. Magnesium also can raise seratonin and regulate your gastrointestinal system. It is most effective in injection form, so if u think u can handle giving urself a shot , I would ask ur doc about it. After all, with all the pain we already have, what's a lil needle pinch? LOL

Good luck!! And make sure they checked your cholesterol, cortisol binds to cholesterol to male it's way thru ur system, so it can cause elevated cholesterol. I hope this helps!

02/21/2009 03:10 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

AH mag injections...I remember those...they sure did help...

I just did some reading on this...some sort of adreanal support is something that you may want to look into...

here is something that I read:

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/lyme-disease-article/why- treating-the-adrenals-matters-in-lyme-disease/53223

There are a couple of references in it...

Christine

02/22/2009 09:01 AM
rjp0508

Thank you!

I'm having a hard time finding a 'conventional medicine' approach to slowing down cortisol production.

Randy

02/22/2009 11:39 AM
Canuck
Canuck  

Darn I typed a big one here and lost it. Anyways, Randy there are a myriad of meds that they do use for this case- proscar/propecia/aldactone , can give info if you need it, for females a first line of meds is oral contraceptives sometimes with an added anti androgenic

Many herbals apparently decrease it as well, the L theanine, L tyrosine, L arginine, L carnitine, don't have experience with those and probably a ton of info out there

High cortisol is liked to pretty much everything immunosuppressive or that the immunosuppressed 'get'.. Sometimes they say the high cort can predispose us to this that and the other and/ or vice versa.. Heck it even impacts the NK cells (CD57) and is linked to alzheimer,ms---SOUND FAMILIAR? In my own mind-it's all Lyme

good luck, talk with the doc.

Oh and one more thing-- those of us who have been on steroids in the past -even topical or nasal (screwed me up and if you have Lyme say NO) then the cortisol levels can be elevated with those too, and with the abrupt stopping of steroid use. We all probably have it and I am really interested in how to get it down. Females-Yaz is supposed to be a good BC pill for that

Post edited by: Canuck, at: 02/22/2009 11:41

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved