MDJunction - People Helping People
 
Ask a Question
05/25/2012 01:26 PM

knowlege of sepsis-help please(page 2)

beeincharge
Posts: 436
Member

I agree with others you should see a doctor if you are concerned. A simple CBC blood panel will tell instantly whether you have sepsis.

If there is an infection, white blood cell counts will be elevated. BUT **NOT** in the case of lyme and co-infections.

I think this is what I was trying to say earlier. Yes lyme and co-infections are serious and can cause lots of damage, but they do not usually put the person in IMMEDIATE danger. They will usually NOT cause your white blood cell counts to be elevated.

Here is a link to a bunch of patient experiences with sepsis.

http://www.medicinenet.com/sepsis/discussion-722.htm

Reply

05/25/2012 02:27 PM
doglick
doglickPosts: 682
Member

I love reading these.

Sepsis is whenever bacteria are found in the blood or major body tissues but generally blood.

Lyme and coinfections: by definition if you have these you are septic.

Sepsis can and often is life thretening but it also may not be. In the case of Lyme and coinfections it usually isn't.

Septic shock is another thing altogether. That is what people are talking about here. That is immediately life thretening. It causes organs to fail followed by death. It is very bad and usually deadly within 24 hours if not treated aggressively and if organ failure has alread occured the prognosis is grim indeed.

Lyme does not cause septic shock because it grows and dies so slowly. One needs a fast growing but invading everywhere to cause this. The massive flooding of toxins from bacteria does most of the damage. IE: poison.

What I am reading here is a reaction to Bart dieoff. IT can make a person extreemly panic ridden and feel horrible. The ER cannot help unfortunately. Reduce meds will help in a day or so. The panic must be endured even though it is truly hard to take. A doc might prescribe a med to calm the panic and so a call is in order for sure. That might get you through the wost of it. Bart dieoff is just plain horrible.


05/25/2012 04:06 PM
Bettyg
 
Posts: 32225
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

CORRECTION:

we didn't know it then, but husband went in with E COLI; shortly after in the HOSPITAL HE DEVELOPED SEPSIS!! that's where i feel the hallucinting came into place and how sick he was!!

dog, you've got many gret comments above, could you highlite or underline the most important points you are making my friend; HUGE thanks!!

bettyg


05/25/2012 04:59 PM
doglick
doglickPosts: 682
Member

Sorry, I was having a spell. It happens. I reread what I wrote and realized I didn't quite make sense. I try to not write when it happens but sometimes I don't recognize it until much later if at all.

The only point I was making that sepsis in itself is simply bacteria in the blood (and other areas) Septic shock is the deadly part when sepsis isn't treated and the body reacts by fighting for its life.

Since Bart and Lyme are both found in these places, we are all 'septic' by defintion.

Or am I missing something again?


05/25/2012 07:36 PM
gfm
gfm  
Posts: 117
Member

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad and so worried but it is extremely unlikely you have sepsis. I recently had surgery and have since developed a rash on the surgical side of my body (which is as yet unexplained.

.

I did a quick search online and searching for rash post-surgery also suggests sepsis. Mine is not making me more ill and I know it's not sepsis but coming across that information online is scary.

.

I did tell my doctor, jokingly, that Google said I had sepsis and I should go to the ER and he laughed but he said "no-one dies of sepsis slowly" - it is life threatening and basically means your blood is poisoned - "septic" and it will *usually* come from an infected wound where some sort of infection has the opportunity to get right into the bloodstream.

.

But the way you are feeling does sound like a toxic overload and diarrhea can be a sign of your body getting rid of toxins. Have you tried anything that's supposed to help with herx-ing? I use burbur from neutramedix and I find it quite helpful in getting rid of that really toxic feeling. I think chlorella is also supposed to be helpful and I am sure there are others.

.

Lots of probiotics would also be helpful.

.

I hope you feel a little better soon and definitely agree with the advice to see your doc, even if it's just to calm your fears. I always feel reassured after seeing my lyme doc - if he's not too worried about a strange symptom then I don't worry too much either!

.

Good luck. G

Post edited by: gfm, at: 05/25/2012 07:37 PM


05/25/2012 11:26 PM
Bettyg
 
Posts: 32225
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

g, sounds like you may have a STAPH INFECTION FROM BEING HOSPITALIZED!

it happened twice to me on 2 different surgeries!

1 was from gallbladder, cut on side of me got STAPH, spread to my entire butt, then entire back, and my chest. took 24 yrs. to get a dr. there to help me ... REASON, MOTHER'S DAY!!!

i could have strung up alot of people that day for NO ONE taking action on me when they had ER DOCS THERE that entire time!

***********************

quoting doglick; i saw many worthwhile things there, so i'm going to highlite/underline for NON-MEDICAL folks like myself. bettyg,

I love reading these.

Sepsis is whenever bacteria are found in the blood or major body tissues but generally blood.

Lyme and coinfections: by definition if you have these you are septic.

Sepsis can and often is life thretening but it also may not be. In the case of Lyme and coinfections it usually isn't.

Septic shock is another thing altogether. That is what people are talking about here. That is immediately life thretening.

It causes organs to fail followed by death.

It is very bad and usually deadly within 24 hours if not treated aggressively and if organ failure has alread occured the prognosis is grim indeed.

Lyme does not cause septic shock because it grows and dies so slowly. One needs a fast growing but invading everywhere to cause this.

The massive flooding of toxins from bacteria does most of the damage. IE: poison.

What I am reading here is a reaction to Bart dieoff. IT can make a person extreemly panic ridden and feel horrible.

The ER cannot help unfortunately.

Reduce meds will help in a day or so.

The panic must be endured even though it is truly hard to take. A doc might prescribe a med to calm the panic and so a call is in order for sure.

That might get you through the wost of it.

Bart dieoff is just plain horrible.

bettyg, iowa activist

Reply

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>


Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved