MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/21/2012 01:37 PM

Extreme hip pain

vickgould
vickgould  

Hi everyone,

I just joined this group today. Been battling lyme for 2.5 years, though really longer - they just didn't know what it was.

I've had achy joints, but reacently I've had a big problem with my hip and tailbone. They tell me my tailbone is crooked, maybe it was broken at some time (I used to be an ice skater) and my last vertebrae is fused to my tailbone. I've done google searches about it and it says that lyme is rarely in the hip. My doc says he thinks it is unrelated to lyme. I did physical therapy for 2 months and I go to the chiro regularly. It's extremely painful. I haven't really been driving much for over a year. But now it's super super bad. I want it fixed, but don't know what do to. I am doing more of a natural approach to fixing this lyme and I don't like taking a lot of pharmaceuticals, but I'm really ready for a high dose of something! Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?

05/21/2012 01:41 PM
krystle2

My hips burned like crazy. I do think it is lyme related. The pain has subsided since I have been in treatment.

05/21/2012 01:45 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hi vicki,

please edit and break up your post using my posting guidelines below so we neuro lyme folks can read it all; we can't as is.

thanks for helping us help you Wink

I HAD MY HIP REPLACED; once i can read your post, i'll reply to what i red after my much needed nap! WELCOME!

bettyg, iowa activist forever

Welcome to MD JUNCTION! I'm so glad you found us! You've come to the right place for education and support!

Private messages DELETED in 30 days!

ARCHIVE, upper right!

My WELCOME LETTER is posted at the top of SUPPORT FORUM in sticky pin full of good info and HYPERLINKS ready to be read.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/general-support/2356916-bettygs-welcome-letter-wgood- beginner-links-

The most important things are at the top; MUST READ and print off as mentioned there already to start your lyme/co-infection journey with us all.

The 1st things to do are:

• JOIN LYME BOARD;

• Post in LLMD REQUEST FORUM for a LYME LITERATE md; see my welcome letter and the INSTRUCTIONS there if you are SPECIALLY FROM CALIF. Where it's broken down into 8 NAMED AREAS.

• You'll need to give me my calif. NAMED area where you live in the areas shown there in SUBJECT LINE plus if it's for ADULT or a child; we need age of CHILD; some llmds have AGE restrictions.

• OTHER STATES will show the SPECIFIC NAME OF THEIR STATE and Qclosest, largest city to them in SUBJECT line plus adult or child; UNDER 21; we need their age!.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/llmd-info/Itemid=217/func=post/do=reply

• Also, we'll need the following info in your request post:

in your llmd request, please EDIT and add more info ok.

Are you UNDER AGE 21;; if yes, I need your age shown as some of our llmds have AGE RESTRICTIONS; thanks!

how long you've been sick

if you've tested for lyme/co-infections;

which labs doing work for which specific test, etc.

did you have western blot igm/igg done by igenex?

if yes, what were the POSITIVE & INDETERMINDED numbers; NOT negatives.

thanks for understanding; just EDIT your post. you can find all by going to left MY DISCUSSIONS, click on it.

after you add more, a LEADER will send you names ok.

I RECENTLY RETIRED AFTER 6 LONG YRS. OF DOING THIS!

Betty's suggested posting guidelines:

NO ALL CAPS POSTS; they are illegible to me/other neuro folks!

Many of members have neuro lyme, and it is hard to read long solid block text and be able to comprehend; example, me, 42 yrs. neuro chronic lyme, so we are UNABLE to comprehend and read. Thank you for helping us help YOU 

Please post in short paragraphs like you see below or look at a few other posts, but we neuro folks need them short.

1-2 sentences MAX per paragraph and hit ENTER TWICE to double space between each paragraph. We've lost our comprehension skills to read solid block text.

We neuros lose our train of thought if the sentence is broken up in the middle; so please keep an ENTIRE sentence together as ONE. hugs

For easier reading, please edit your post. You can break up your longer paragraphs into smaller paragraphs. Please hit

ENTER key twice after each paragraph.

Go to left hand corner; click edit send. Then go to bottom and click SUBSCRIBE TO THIS DISCUSSION.

Thank you for posting in a manner that makes it easier for all to read and help others.

Bettyg, Iowa activist FOREVER Wink

YES, be prepared to PAY UPFRONT!

i've heard of some requiring down payments; i wasn't aware of that one at all!!

very FEW accept insurance; why?

insurance co. allow 7 min. per patient; we can hardly say hello in that time!

you also have to follow INSURANCE'S GUIDELINES ON TREATMENTS, IDSA/infectious disease drs. socieity guidelines... BAD NEWS FOR US!

by NOT accepting insurance, they can practice ILADS/intl. lyme and associated disease lyme guidelines ... treating you longer than 4 wks. of antibiotics, herbals, and alternative therapeis.

they allow 30-60 min. appt; longer 1st time; you pay accordinatelly for those appts.

ACCEPTING INSURANCE; they get very little $$ to pay the staff/overhead of building/utilities, etc.

many call patients day before to make sure they will be there; MANY DO NOT SHOW UP NOR HAVE THE DECENCY TO CALL SAYING THEY ARE NOT COMING!!

they could get those close by to come in but NOT being called; they are OUT THE MONEY and having one hell of a time meeting the bills.

our LLMDS are NOT RICH by any means!!

i hope this answers your questions so you understand what THEY are going thru too.

hugs/prayers,

bettyg, iowa activist forever

05/21/2012 02:18 PM
vickgould
vickgould  

I'm so sorry.

Do you mean I should repost it in a new thread or repost right here like this?

I've had achy joints, but reacently I've had a big problem with my hip and tailbone.

They tell me my tailbone is crooked, maybe it was broken at some time (I used to be an ice skater) and my last vertebrae is fused to my tailbone. I've done google searches about it and it says that lyme is rarely in the hip.

My doc says he thinks it is unrelated to lyme. I did physical therapy for 2 months and I go to the chiro regularly. It's extremely painful.

I haven't really been driving much for over a year. But now it's super super bad. I want it fixed, but don't know what do to.

I am doing more of a natural approach to fixing this lyme and I don't like taking a lot of pharmaceuticals, but I'm really ready for a high dose of something!

Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?

05/21/2012 02:19 PM
vickgould
vickgould  

Thanks for your replies.

I thought my lyme was getting better and this is one thing that seems to have gotten worse. Very discouraged with it.

It seems my other symptoms are getting better and this one is taking me downhill.

05/21/2012 02:21 PM
jileha

I've had hip pain over the last couple of years that comes and goes for no reason. Mostly in my right hip. After I had a big flare up where every movement was very painful in both hips

as part of a herx reaction without having done anything that might have aggravated my hips, I concluded that my hips have also been yet another of my many lyme symptoms.

I'm actually quite glad about it as I've already seen me needing a hip replacement not too far down the road. Now I know this symptom will also dissappear once lyme has been battled down. Wink

05/21/2012 03:09 PM
vickgould
vickgould  

So really, my doc is wrong.

05/21/2012 04:27 PM
vickgould
vickgould  

Yes, he is LLMD. But he says the hip is nothing to do with lyme.

I will have to press him for it since nothing has worked. I thought the lyme was getting better.

My brain started to work again this year. And I was so thrilled with that. But other things are now coming back. Sad

05/21/2012 04:49 PM
vickgould
vickgould  

That really frustrates me!

There is another LLMD I went to and I didn't like him, and he was over an hour away. I can't do the drive.

I think there's another one about the same distance. I feel stuck.

But I need to know what to do about the problem.

05/21/2012 06:17 PM
jileha

Maybe do an Internet search on lyme and its effects on knees and hips like this one:

What Happens When Lyme Disease Is Not Treated?

An infection that goes untreated for longer periods of time has many manifestations, including persistent pain and swelling of one or more joints. The joints primarily affected are the knees and hips.

(quote end)

http://www.cwcfp.com/lyme-disease-symptoms-and- treatment.php

or

My muscles were stiff, my knees and hips ached. And I was almost too tired to care anymore.

Amy Tan, http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues/2007-07/features/ lymecountry/amytan

Just what a quick search brought up. I'm sure you can find a couple of good, reliable source to show your LLMD.

You just have to come up with a strategy that doesn't make him look bad. Smile

Maybe: "Thank you for putting the idea in my head that my hip problems might also be lyme related.

I didn't want to believe it at first, but here are some sources that confirm it."

BTW, why is it that my quotes always look fine in the preview, but contain only one section here? Sad

Post edited by: jileha, at: 05/21/2012 06:19 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved