MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/13/2012 11:30 AM

Can Lyme Disease Cause Hives?

Nina777

I have had Lyme Disease and Anaplasmosis for nearly a year. I finished a four month course of doxycycline 3 weeks ago, and I have been on Samento, Resveratrol, and a few other herbals for a few weeks.

Yesterday my bottom lip and fingers puffed up, and this morning I woke up with hives on 60% of my body from my waist down. Can Lyme Disease cause hives? They are raised red patches like lots of cycles touching each other in a rash. It is very itchy and hot to the touch.

I have been taking Benadryl (antihistamine) since yesterday but with no effect. I do suffer with hayfever, but have never had a skin reaction to it before. However, we have had much higher temperatures since yesterday, and the pollen count is high, though I have no other hayfever symptoms.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Blessing,

Nina

05/13/2012 12:20 PM
purpleyogamat
purpleyogamat  
Group Leader

I would call your doctor ASAP, Nina.

It *could* be Lyme related, but could also be an allergic reaction.

Please call your doctor!

purple

05/13/2012 12:46 PM
mem4974

I've had a similar problem throughout my illness, I've had migrating hives similar to yours. Started on my chest, moved to my neck, and now my arms / legs. This was before I started antibiotics, so I know it's not an allergic relation.

I'm starting to wonder if it is because my liver is overtaxed.

05/13/2012 01:03 PM
Nina777

Hey Purpleyogamat, thank you for the reply. Typically new symptoms etc strike me on a weekend when my doctors aren't in the clinic. I'll go and see my M.D. tomorrow and call my N.D. for advice.

Blessings,

Nina

05/13/2012 01:06 PM
Nina777

Hi Renguin22, I've just done a little research this morning, and hives can be related to stress (we are moving house in 3 weeks), or an overactive thyroid. I hope you get relief from yours soon.

Blessings,

Nina

05/13/2012 01:23 PM
Seschelll

Hi- yes I have that flare up most of the time- all over- been the benadryl route- no answers- drs don't seem to know- other than nerves which I think my be possible considering what are bodies are dealing with- or is it a viral thing? Wish I had answer. Itching bad also. Hang in there - if you get any solutions please let me know I'm on a blackberry not easy to navigate-- hugs. SeSchell

05/13/2012 02:18 PM
bug50
bug50  

you can become allergic to any abx at any given time, even months after you have stopped it. I know this as I'm allergic to many abx's and have had many reaction, some 3 months after I stopped them. I would play safe and call the Dr and let him know...Never think its just from lyme.

Julie

05/13/2012 03:32 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

This is one of those things were it could be caused by multiple things...

I for one...did not get the bullseye rash...I got hives...and still to this day if I have a flare up I will have a hive on my bite site...between my eyelashes...

But that doesn't mean that it isn't a reaction...

Always best to get it checked out...

05/13/2012 03:33 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Seschelll

Where do you believe that you contracted this? I was in KY when it happened...and had talked to people over the years in more southern regions - and there have been some that had the same thing...hives rather then bullseye rashes...

01/16/2013 11:35 AM
1tiredperson

I have been breaking out with hives from head to feet once every 25 to 30 days for the last 6 months. I have 4 old tick bites that took several months to heal. Prior to hives breaking out the old bites swell up like marbles. When the hives are fully broken out the old bites are hard as rock and quite large.

The episodes of hives have nothing in common as far as a cause. Food, medicine, heat, cold, stress..........

I suspect lyme but it has not been confirmed.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved