Thoughts?

05/03/2012 08:18 PM
purpleyogamat
purpleyogamat  
Group Leader

Thoughts about what?

05/03/2012 08:29 PM
beeincharge

My doctor recommends florastor 4x per day along with acidophilus. I am posting a link to an interesting article about this.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-03-10/health/ healthmag.probiotics.stomach_1_boulardii-probiotic- saccharomyces?_s=PM:HEALTH

05/03/2012 08:34 PM
GWB

The more the better. Healing is in the gut. Probiotics are great for healing your gut and replenishing the flora and good bacteria that abx kill off. Probiotics help to build up your immune system as well.

You can't go wrong with taking probiotics, and if you're on abx, you absolutely don't want to be without them. I'm not on abx and I take billions of probiotics daily.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/health- benefits-of-probiotics/

Gary

05/03/2012 08:42 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

There is also a probiotic shot you can take...called Yakult...I love them...and use them on my kids after stomach bugs...helps to get them back on track quick...

There is a knock off brand...and it is filled with sugar...Yakult is the only one that I have seen that is acceptable...you can find it by the yogurt...

05/03/2012 09:01 PM
GlitchyMomma
GlitchyMomma  

There are opposing views that exist about taking probiotics while on antibiotics. Abx can't tell the difference between the good and bad.

So abx would be less effective because there would just be a larger population, even when the dosage is spaced away from one another.

05/03/2012 09:18 PM
purpleyogamat
purpleyogamat  
Group Leader

Ah... okay.

Well, imo, if we don't replace the good bacteria it will lead to serious yeast issues. So even though there may be some validity in the "antibiotics won't work as well" (not sure there is validity) I'd rather have that then a systemic yeast infection.

Smile

05/03/2012 09:22 PM
GWB

Agree with you purple! I think there's plenty of evidence that probiotics are beneficial while on abxand not taking them is, in my opinion, taking a big risk.

Gary

05/04/2012 07:21 AM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

There is one well known LLdoc I know of that says to get off ALL supplements, even pro-biotics. Because they feed the bacteria. Using that logic, I guess we should even stop eating?!

The LL doc we just went to said to use pro-biotics, use vit D (cuz he's low) and the rest of his sups are up to us. I kinda hate that... when they don't give their opinion.

I have my kid on sups and probiotics.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved