MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/28/2012 09:50 AM

what makes a LL Doc

mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

If they are not on anyone's lists, does that mean they don't know what they are doing?

I have a ND who seems to/ claims to know about treating LDC. He also believes in chronic LD.

But he's not an ILADS ND.

04/28/2012 01:08 PM
nank59
nank59  

A doctor who is knowledgeable of Lyme disease and coinfections.

Also, some would say one that more closely follows ILADS guidelines, not IDSA guidelines.

My ND is Lyme Literate, but doesn't exactly follow ILADS guidelines.

Post edited by: nank59, at: 04/28/2012 01:11 PM

04/28/2012 07:54 PM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

I would ask how he/she became trained in chronic Lyme. Also would ask if he/she follows IDSA guidelines. If he/she does, RUN.

If this doc knows about ILADS, etc., but is not a member, I would ask WHY NOT? If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me who you are seeing, to see if they show up on my list? Name, city, state would suffice. I'm interested to know who it is. Smile Thanks.

Lauren

04/29/2012 02:58 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

one who will treat you LONGER THAN 4 WKS; who treats CYST lyme, plus above.

attends ILADS LYME/VB conferences.

a friend of mine has excellent post on this; tried to find it quickly with NO luck from another board.

bettyg, leader

04/29/2012 08:40 AM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

Thank you all for your thoughts. I PM'd you Wisc.

I have to ask him where he learned about treating LD and co's. And I also need to ask why he's not a member of ILADS. I think I will also email ILADS and ask them if they know about him.

04/30/2012 12:37 PM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

FYI, I contacted ILADS. They have training for doctors. Some of their members have gone through it some have not.

ILADS does not claim that their docs are the only ones that can treat but that their docs keep up with the latest and may provide some added value.

ILADS member doctors get access to a chat line where they can confer with each other about cases.

Post edited by: mysticthecat, at: 04/30/2012 12:38 PM

04/30/2012 01:08 PM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

Yes, ILADS isn't the "only" place to be trained... HOWEVER, they are the most trusted and if a doc is ILADS trained/member, they are more likely to be reliable and up on current treatment modalities.

If a doc is not ILADS trained and/or member, that doesn't mean the worst. Just be careful (like you would with any doc, regardless!) Smile and ne your own advocate. That's always the best policy with any illness, ESPECIALLY Lyme.

I hope this is a good fit for you and thanks for the update. Smile

Lauren

04/30/2012 01:45 PM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

Lauren,

I'm actually taking him elsewhere. Not getting rid of the ND I mentioned above, but he was someone we were going to BEFORE I figured out my son has lyme.

Now I want an ILADS trained doc too. We are sooo fortunate to have choices!

So, we're going to our first "official" LL doc tomorrow. This one is ILADS member, but not trained. Gosh, wouldn't it be great if he says No, your son doesn't have LD. He has (fill in the blank with something really easy to figure out and treat).

04/30/2012 06:51 PM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

haha Mystic... I would LOVE to hear one of those outcomes!!

Well keep us posted on the sitch. Will be good to hear either way... 1. he doesn't have it (woo-hoo!!) 2. he does and has begun treating. Smile

Lauren

04/30/2012 07:47 PM
bbl2011

This is a really great question. I remember trying to find an answer to as well before i went searching for a LLMD.

I would say that they should have had training through ILADs. Anything that shows they've completed training (through ILADs) so they can navigate the very complex world of antibiotics and herbs required for lymies I would say what you should look for.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved