MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/26/2012 07:21 PM

Would you move to escape ticks? NY/NJ/CTers?

camillamacaulay

And I know I can't REALLY get away from them...but I can vastly reduce our exposure...

Here's our story.

We moved from LA to NY (Westchester Co.) 6 months ago to be closer to family. We knew there would be more ticks here, but we were not prepared for the sheer number of them we have encountered since arriving. Other than the ticks, I love it here. I grew up here, it's beautiful, I have family to help with the kids, I love the weather, etc.

But I HATE the ticks. In 6 mos my 4 year old has been bit 3x and I have been bit twice.

When my kids ask to go outside now, I cringe. I don't even like sitting on the ground when I'm outside with them. Forget hiking, tree climbing, camping, etc. The amount of energy I devote to avoiding, checking for, and worrying about the ticks seems insane.

People in this area think I am crazy for the most part. They say they don't have a problem with them. I don't understand how this could be true given our recent history.

I miss the days of letting my kids come and go without a total strip down/tick search. We are considering moving back to CA. The thought makes me want to cry, but I also want to keep my family safe.

Is this insane? Would you move away from family you love dearly to get away from ticks?

04/26/2012 07:25 PM
dvlsfan30

i live in dutchess county. i wish i could take all my family and friends and move them to a tick free place Smile but thats life, i still like it here, grew up here, finishing school here. all that good stuff

04/26/2012 07:29 PM
littlegirlbigdream
littlegirlbigdream  

I personally would not move. For me I am still putting my self at risk, and really I am going to live my life the way I want, with the things I love to do.

I kid you not the day after I got my postive Igenex results, I went camping.

I personally think there are things you can do to reduce the risks, and avoid bites.

But really if I loved where I lived, and had my family I would not move.

But I know others would say yes, I guess that is just my opinion though

04/26/2012 07:33 PM
dancingd

I live in Ocean County NJ and can totally relate. We are covered head to toe in ticks. I have been bitten and infected 2x in the last year and just diagnosed. I get the whole strip/search thing as my kids have already had ticks on them this year. But move? No way.

Spray your kids and do the best you can. We DO live in great areas...

04/26/2012 07:36 PM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

I'm new to this devastating lyme and co infections. But, yes, I would move. I wish I had never moved back east.

We moved from San francisco back to Maine (closer to family and friends) when my boy was 20 months old. By the time he was 3 he was showing LDC symptoms. Took till now to get dx.

I'd say move back while your kids are still young. It'll be much harder to move when they are in high school.

04/26/2012 07:43 PM
dvlsfan30

i forgot to mention, think how many other people are at risk. i think the dutchess county area in ny is beautiful. yes its a smart idea to check children for ticks but theres alot these areas have to offer.

04/26/2012 08:50 PM
JJ351
JJ351  

Yup, I'd consider moving if there was a guaranteed tick-free lactaion to move to...any ideas?????

04/27/2012 12:36 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

welcome dancing to our board,

i agree with your answer also about spraying for ticks, etc.

to all, i posted a 30 min. radio show of TOM GRIER in lyme facts forum. he talks extensively about how we can protect ourselves going outside so we can ENJOY ourselves too.

he also talks about MS/LYME dementia autopsies his project his started but that's later on in there.

ou learn alot from his talks; he's a user-friendly guy explaining things in detail.

good luck.

ALL PLACES HAVE TICKS! we can't get away from them NOR other vector-borne carrying insects/animals/birds, etc.

so we take that sour lime and make LYME AID Wink

bettyg, leader

04/27/2012 04:44 AM
camillamacaulay

Wow! I'm surprised how many people are saying you'd stay.

I guess maybe the difference is that we did like where we lived before, we just didn't love it as much as here, and we didn't have family nearby. I really miss the days of not worrying about my kids 24/7 though Sad

04/27/2012 05:45 AM
Teeb

I'm another Dutchess County person. And no, I wouldn't move just because of the ticks. You just learn to be aware and check for them....and really, there's something to worry about everywhere you go. No place is completely safe.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved