MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/26/2012 01:27 PM

pain and school

mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

Where was it that I was reading about lyme and that the pain can be equal or greater than cancer?

My son looks great. He's tall and handsome and sick. He suffers in silence. His teachers don't see it.

He's like that young woman in "under our skin" who worked the U2 concerts. She looks great but pushes herself and gets sicker.

I wanted something to give his teachers something to them to help them understand.

I already gave them the "how to treat someone with chronic disease" paper.

I really don't want him to be homebound. But it's looking like its heading that way.

Maybe I should just give up the lyme treatment so he can finish his freshman year in high school.

And restart his lyme treatment in the summer.

04/26/2012 02:14 PM
lifewithlyme

Hi,

I know how hard it is dealing with such a debilitating disease and going to school. Nobody ever knew the pain I was in when I went to school, and the people I told never believed me. I'm supposed to be a sophomore in high school this year. Freshman year was the last year I was able to attend. I really should have stopped a long time ago (I've been sick basically my whole life) but I'm someone who likes to push myself and go above and beyond.

I can relate a lot to your son and how teachers don't see or get it. Where I use to go to school they didn't treat me the way they should of. Let's face it I'm not normal, and with all my brain problems I couldn't keep up with any of the work (use to be a high honor student), and being in pain is confusing and hard and you just don't understand when you're sitting in class looking around wondering why am I the only one suffering?

I'm taking the year off because things have been quite crazy for me and in treatment you get sicker before you get better. You're sons treatment really shouldn't wait, and that's just my thought. Just knowing this disease gets worse with time, it's crucial to treat it while you can.

Health is more important and without health there is nothing. If you're son is ever interested in talking to other teens going through what he's going through I created a site with weekly live chats, blogs, forums, polls, comments, etc.

Link to more info: http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/general-support/3662369-teen-lyme-weekly-live-chat- group

04/26/2012 02:38 PM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

Life,

You write really well for a teenager! Do you get homeschooled? Or tutors come in to teach you at home? I'll bet you miss your friends. How is your treatment and recovery going?

My son has also been sick all his life. He has always had cognitive issues. But its all suddenly gotten alot worse.

He will feel good one day and go run around with his friends for three hours and then he will be sick in bed for four days.

Then he goes back to school and does pretty well but always has to take a nap afterwards, and can't do his homework.

Thanks for the invite. I told him about the online teen support group. Sofar he's said he's not interested. He doesn't want to think about lyme all the time.

Mystic

04/26/2012 04:11 PM
littlegirlbigdream
littlegirlbigdream  

I am also in highschool. I am from Canada, so we don't go by that name thing that you do in the states. So I am in grade 11 what ever that makes me.( I am 16 years old)

I understand how hard it is to try and attend school. Like I thought I was doing good. I would make it to most of my classes, but then sleep the whole night then do it again.

But in this past month everything has gone down hill really fast. I can barely walk now. I probably should be using like a walker or a wheel chair, but I am to terrified that if I do that,because then maybe I will not get back out and walk again.

No one in my school really gets it. When I have told my teachers what I have, they give me this look and are like have you ever talked to Mrs.C, who is a teacher that had Chronic lyme very very bad. I finally went and talked to her but it was not much help.

I would not give up your sons treatment. I know this is hard for us teens to understand but your health is more important then school.

There is also many other options if he is no longer able to attend. I know next year I will be doing online classes. What a way to spend your senior year right?

I understand that he does not really want to think about it, I bet because he is still mostly in denial it takes time to come around.

I am the leader of the teens with yme group on here, so we would gladly welcome him, if he eventually would like to join.

04/26/2012 04:43 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hi,

i either have a sticky on SCHOOL ISSUES here in support or in TIPS forum; many good links about homeschooling kids.

best wishes, hugs/prayers,

bettyg, leader

04/26/2012 06:52 PM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

Thanks Betty. I did read some of your links on school issues. I can't homeschool. I'm a single mom, work full time, and commute an hour each way.

Thanks Little. How in the world do you even pass your classes? If my son doesn't spend 3 hours after school on homework he get's in troubles with his grades.

My son can't type like you guys do. He might be up for a chat though sometime. I'll let him know. I'll tell him my friends on MDjunction want to meet him. He will like that.

When this hits kids and teens it is the worst!

04/26/2012 07:03 PM
littlegirlbigdream
littlegirlbigdream  

Truthfully I am barely passing my classes. I once got honour roll (in the 90's)

And now my lowest mark is in the 50's.

So I am just trying to make it through this year, because I really want to graduate next year.

But it is very hard. I really should spend time on homework but if I make it through a full day which would be very good for me, I just crash.

Also I am not taking a full course load, because by 2 I am just done and can not sit through another class.

But really I would like it if your son would talk to us. There is a guy on the group so it is not all girls, but really I don't think it matters to us.

We just like people to talk to that are going through the same things.

04/26/2012 07:30 PM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

Well you are really brave to stick it out. I'm glad you're not taking a full course load and you're just not doing the homework. If you need to rest, rest!

I'll let him know there's another guy in the group.

Oh no! I was typing you this message and a tick was crawling on my hand. ( I had just taken my dog out for a quick walk) They are everywhere this year.

04/26/2012 07:34 PM
littlegirlbigdream
littlegirlbigdream  

Yeah that is right, unless I have a test or a big hand in assignment I do not do my homework. Because truthfully I just cant.

That is acctually horrible. Remember to check for ticks everytime you come inside if they are that bad.

I know where I live I do not think they are that bad, or maybe I just never noticed.

04/26/2012 07:58 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Speak to his doctor and have a meeting with his school councelors. The student disabilities act applies to him and special allowences need to be made. I did it for a college age daughter.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved