MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/19/2012 09:49 AM

pos ELISA and neg WB... and doubt

mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

My teenage son has pos ELISA IgM and neg WB (all bands neg) using Labcorp. And labcorp only looked at the bands that are part of the CDC criteria.

Diagnostically he fits LD, big time. He has been bit and lots of exposure. I suspect he's had it for 12 years.

While we are waiting for our first LLMD appt, all the "other docs" are beating me down with the "growing pains" and "arthritis" and "adrenal fatigue" and "allergy" and "sleep disorder" ideas.

They are making me doubt myself. I'm not dealing with the doubt very well. I'm a scientist and I like things proven.

While we are waiting to see the LLMD, I've tried to research the pos ELISA and neg WB scenario, and I can't find answers.

Are there alot of false positive ELISA tests?? Have any of you been in this situation?

I was thinking of just getting his blood drawn and sent to IGENEX while we wait for the LLMD appt. But he's on antibiotics. Would they interfere with the testing?

I wish I had more patience. I think I need to meditate or something... to much anxiety.

Thanks!

04/19/2012 02:36 PM
lymeinmich

I have not heard of false + on the Elisa.

It is hard to get a + on the Elisa.

I know a woman who did, and that probably saved her life. She was very ill and in the hospital.

I was given abx to induce a die off, before doing the Igenex urine testing.

Not sure how it would effect the blood testing, someone will chime in.

You could call Igenex, and ask. They are on California time. They answered my questions by phone.

04/19/2012 04:15 PM
lmedler
lmedler  

I had a positive ELISA and negative WB. Only had band 23 IGM positive from Quest labs I think.

I was diagnosed clinically based on symptoms. From what I understand it is hard to get a positive ELISA test, I am glad I did because that caused me to pursue this avenue and after treating for a year I am starting to see some improvement.

04/19/2012 05:01 PM
sebnova81
sebnova81  

omg I am SO thankful that I got a + on my ELISA! Are you going to do Igenex testing?

04/20/2012 08:28 AM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

I just talked to Igenex. They said that the fact that someone is taking antibiotics does not interfere with WB testing.

The only lyme testing that abx interferes with is the PCR test.

Maybe I'll just have it done now so I can stop obsessing with this.

04/20/2012 09:42 AM
lymeinmich

If it saves you second guessing and anxiety and stress, do it.

04/21/2012 11:10 PM
wildcondor
wildcondor  

ELISA and western blot are both inaccurate tests, Lyme is a clinical diagnosis.

04/22/2012 08:27 AM
mysticthecat
mysticthecat  
Group Leader

Yes. Indeed. And anyone with his exposure/ symptoms would get a dx of lyme from a LLMD.

I just wondered if people had experience with + ELISA and neg WB. Or if they know of publications that discuss this issue.

I'm so pissed that the blood tests are such crap.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved