MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/11/2009 01:28 PM

Lyme Disease passed through Blood Transfusions?

marley

Doesn't anyone have any scientific information on this?

I think if more people looked into this aspect of the disease, which is possibly sitting in our blood banks, they may be surprised.

Is the blood even screened for lyme, if so, what type of screening and how acurate is it?

Let's hope and pray that it's more accurate than the testing that the IDSA follows.

02/11/2009 02:22 PM
dharma79
dharma79  
VIP Member

Sadly, I don't think they do screen for it...

Sad

02/11/2009 02:27 PM
Julie4848

When I first got lyme I was told "no to the above answer" until you are sympthom free for a year. Then you still have to let them know you had/have lyme.

I myself would not do it (except if someone in my family needed it, and they all know I have lyme)...I would not for anyone else...

02/11/2009 03:02 PM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'd offer Wormser my blood! lol. He insists that chronic lyme doesn't exist, I've had a year and a half of treatment, so in his eyes, I should really not have it anymore...want my blood???

Of course it's passed in blood transfusions. the scary thing is, I believe I've read somewhere that after so long of treatment, you're actually allowed to donate!!! Lyme doesn't just GO AWAY, you go into remission...which means that it can be triggered again from an illness, trauma, etc.... truth is, lyme can hide anywhere and everywhere in your body. I personally wouldn't donate blood ever again.

I feel aweful that I've donated in the past before I even knew I had lyme.

02/11/2009 03:16 PM
juremc

I actually work in the laboratory at a hospital...I'm going to ask them the next time I work if they do screen for Lyme and if they do, how tough the screening is...I would feel terrible if someone got this disease from a blood transfusion...

02/11/2009 03:17 PM
juremc

maybe if they don't screen I can help raise awareness for it...cuz it definately needs to be done

02/11/2009 04:01 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

One of the hospitals that I had gone to back in NJ had told me - cuz i did ask, that they would not accept the blood if the patient knew they had it - but the problem was was that not everyone knew that they had it...

Guess that cuts me out - and I am AB- which is VERY VERY rare...

And what about screening for co-infections?

It is such a mess -

Christine

02/11/2009 04:14 PM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

i really don't think thier screening is good if they do it at all...and there's so many different strains of it, and co infections and the laundry list goes on. Christine you're right, so many don't even know they have it...like me, 10 years ago, didn't know I had it, I've donated blood several times back then....it makes me sick to think that if they used my blood I could have infected someone.

02/11/2009 04:33 PM
marley

Wormser and all the others wouldn't touch our blood, because they know the truth about this disease.

I feel bad also, because after thinking that I had Fibro for almost 4 and a half years; I've found out that my blood is basically poison to anyone who recieves it.

When my son was 2, he needed a blood transfusion, thankfully they were screening the blood for HIV/AIDS, I feel for those whose children need blood transfusions, especially frequently.

These parents are being kept in the dark about what is being done to their children, who are already fighting severe illness, and now they may be in a whole other fight Chronic Lyme Disease.

It is the children who are affected most severly with Lyme, because of their weakened and undeveloped immune systems. Angry

02/12/2009 06:53 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

that was kinda my point, offering my blood to wormser...of course he wouldn't take it. I've even gone so far as to think about writting him and saying "if this isn't lyme disease and sinice I've been in treatment for so long, I'd be willing to put myself in your hands if you can PROVE you can make me well" of cousre he wouldn't take me up on the offer, OR he'd come up with 60 different things wrong with me, none of which would be the real culprit of lyme.

in the one lyme paper,...aaahhh, again the name escapes me, someone posted an add offering 25K to anyone who can prove to them that post lyme doesn't exist, of cousre they were never taken up on it.

come on, they know!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved