MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/27/2012 12:29 PM

New symptom- bugs crawling on my skin

greenespace
greenespace  

Well, I see that I managed to come up with an entirely NEW Lyme symptom- the sensation that bugs are crawling on me- ants to be specific- but of course, when I look down, there aren't any ants, just my skin playing tricks on me yet again.

Does anyone have any idea what might trigger this? What's happening to make the skin feel something that's not there?

Any suggestions on treatment? I notice it happens primarily in the evening, not much in the day.

Thanks for any insight/help-

03/27/2012 12:42 PM
mem2062

Your comment concerns me because "bug crawling" is usually a symptom you have before you are diagnosed. When you are on effective treatment you should not have this sensation.

May I ask what meds you are on?

03/27/2012 01:51 PM
walkersraven
walkersravenPosts: 552

the medical term for crawling bug sensation is formication............when not psych related it is generally put in a neuropathy catagory...........neuropathies have different causes one of which can be infectious disease affecting the nervous system

03/27/2012 02:17 PM
mowgli
mowgli  

I have always had weird skin sensations: systemic itch, burning and nerve zaps. Since starting treatment it feels like bugs are crawling on various places, feet, legs but mostly my face! It can be very disturbing!

03/27/2012 03:08 PM
greenespace
greenespace  

Thanks for the responses- I generally feel OK, with the exception of heel pain and muscle stiffness. Needless to say, this is a LOT better than I felt when I was initially diagnosed, when I had most if not all of the symptoms of Lyme.

I'm currently on the Klinghardt cocktail, but will admit to drinking and having some sugar recently. I'd been pretty good for about six months, but finally broke down and had a few glasses of wine, along with a chocolate bar.

I started noticing symptoms coming back around then, but have been back on the wagon since.

I'm also a little surprised by the crawling sensations- they've since subsided, but were pretty strong for about two days. Neuropathy makes sense- I did have some nerve issues initially, but after treatment, they got a lot better.

Hopefully just a blip and they will not return. Thanks again for the heads up-

04/02/2012 03:40 PM
paulieinct

The crawling sensations you describe seem to be fairly common with Lyme patients. My sister has an extreme case of the crawlies. She says it feels like worms under the skin, and sometimes feels like SNAKES crawling around inside her abdomen.

She was convinced there were actual critters doing this. I took her to my LLMD and she tested IGENEX positive for Lyme. She can't afford an LLMD, but she did at least get her PCP to Rx doxy.

I believe I have been able to persuade her that the crawlies are LYME, not actual critters, except of course for the spirochetes, and that it is NERVE DAMAGE (neuropathy) that is causing the crawling sensation.

I have had the crawlies myself, but only occasionally. Once or twice it did feel like an actual worm wiggling under the skin.

Interesting that the crawling sensation is the primary complaint of people with Morgellons, some of whom have also been diagnosed with Lyme. Then there is the matter of the "fibers". My sister has not noticed any fibers, neither have I. Thank GOD.

Morgellons patients are even more abandoned than we are.

04/02/2012 04:48 PM
nank59
nank59  

What I experience - as in at this very moment - is the sensation of crawly things beneath my skin.

It happens mostly in my hands, arms, feet and ankle area.

04/02/2012 07:04 PM
mowgli
mowgli  

Formication is the medical term for and one form of sensations referred to as persthesia. Morgellons is a distinct condition recently being cited with this symptom along with fatigue and neuropathy.

I think it's all neurological symptoms of Lymes and coinfections.

04/02/2012 11:28 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

paulie,

you are most certainly right that MORGELLON'S patients are treated even worse than us and especially the it's all in your head crap!

i feel for everyone of them.

hugs, bettyg

05/05/2012 01:16 PM
kimlovescats
kimlovescats  

THANK YOU for the reminder .... never though that being off meds for 2 years that I would forget all the crazy symptoms I had from Lyme but I am DEFINITELY having the creepy crawlies again this time!

Post edited by: kimlovescats, at: 05/05/2012 01:17 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved