I have a strange question....

krystle2

Where do lice come from. I have read that lice can also transmit

lyme. Just curious not that i have it, but it does go around at

my kids school....

03/16/2012 09:44 AM
Kyrenora
Kyrenora  

Lice are kind of like fleas that only infect humans. Don't worry, they don't just spontaneously evolve on your head. However, it is very easy for them to spread from one person to another.

The eggs attach close to the root of the hair, withing the first couple inches. They're white and very small, about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Also, they're shaped like a teardrop.

They can occur anywhere on the head, but are most frequent around the hairline, especially the warmer areas behind the ears and at the nape of the neck.

Tea Tree Oil is said to help prevent lice infection. A lot of shampoos are made with it. A common one is Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree line, which is great. If you prefer a sulfate-free option, I have one by Mill Creek Botanicals. Sometimes you have to wash 2 or 3 times with that one to get it to sud, though.

Post edited by: Kyrenora, at: 03/16/2012 09:44 AM

03/16/2012 05:56 PM
nank59
nank59  

My daughter had lice several times in elementary school.

I learned that she had shared her hairband with someone...stopped wearing those after that.

Haven't heard of them carrying Lyme...haven't researched that.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved