MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/06/2012 07:52 AM

Lyme Fatigue

mowgli
mowgli  

Many or most Lyme symptoms can be difficult to fully understand, but the sudden onset of extreme fatigue and exhaustion I have a very difficult time comprehending.

It just takes over my body and I HAVE to go to bed, period, no fighting it what so ever. I live with general fatigue daily, but then once a week or so now, I experience the extreme fatigue, which lands me in bed for 24 - 48 hours.

Can anyone explain the mechanism of this fatigue. Again like other Lyme symptom's, standard blood tests do not reveal anything, so I am wondering what is the mechanism that causes the fatigue.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

03/06/2012 08:44 AM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

Hi Mowgli,

I wonder if you have any co-infections as well. Has your LLMD dx you for anything besides Lyme?

I ask that because Lyme has a long cycle, 28-30 days. (Like their reproductive cycle, etc.)

Some co-infections have much shorter cycles and could explain the fatigue that really hits hard about once a week or so. Parasites especially! Babesia is a blood-borne parasite. (I currently am fighting this one.)

Also, intestinal parasites are extremely common with Lymies. It could be something to check out if you haven't yet.

A good parasite herbal like Paragone, or taking Black Walnut, Wormwood, Grapefruit Seed Extract are a few ideas. Check out this website for more info.

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/conditionsitoq/a/ Parasites.htm

Hope this helps!

Lauren

03/06/2012 11:00 AM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

kba, check with your llmd. No doubt some co-infx are having a heyday in there (my personal opinion only).

Bart can cause the rashes/skin issues, and babs can cause the flushing... anything to do with blood pressure, heart palps, frontal headaches, etc.

Lauren

Post edited by: WiscLamLymie, at: 03/06/2012 11:00 AM

03/06/2012 11:34 AM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

Ahh. I hate the wait! But it won't be long. Hang in there!!!

Lauren

Post edited by: WiscLamLymie, at: 03/06/2012 11:35 AM

03/06/2012 12:05 PM
mowgli
mowgli  

I tested negative for just about everything, but my LLMD doesn't use a specialized lab and basically doesn't think it's worth the cost, so he treats based on clinical presentation.

I was just put on mepron for babesia. I am sure I have other co-infections and intestinal stuff too.

I would like to have my stool tested, but not sure about where to go and what tests. I even thought about having a vet test it, since that would be cheaper I bet.

03/06/2012 01:59 PM
Avs1823

You can also request to be tested for EBV and mycroplysma. both are standard tests and can be done thru your reg dr and if you have insurance they are covered.

Both make you extremely tired. I have both. waiting for dr to start treating them. They are next on the list.

03/06/2012 02:13 PM
nank59
nank59  

That's been a mystery to me, too! I've just accepted it as part of the illness.

Sometimes it appears gradually, but other times just zappo! Suddenly it hits!

The sudden onset is most puzzling to me. It is often accompanied by extreme weakness and muscle fatigue.

Hope answers can be found - or at least that something within our treatment protocol will latch on to the cause and eliminate it!

03/06/2012 02:25 PM
mowgli
mowgli  

I tested negative for EBV (although I have had mononucleosis).

I will ask my LLMD about mycoplasma and testing for it.

My GP regularly tests her patients for human parvo virus now and says many of her patients test positive. When I did, she said that it explained my fatigue. She also said it usually resolves quickly, although a few of her patients have had it last a year or longer!!!

I have read about human parvo virus and it has as sordid a story as Lyme My LLMD said if you ever had it, you will always test positive and did not think much of it (especially since there is no treatment). I will have to confirm this with him.

I think may fatigue is clearly Lyme and co-infections such as babesia, bartonella and other parasites.

I am just very curious about the acute extreme fatigue I experience and wanted to hear if others also do.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I always learn something new each day!

Post edited by: mowgli, at: 03/06/2012 02:28 PM

03/07/2012 09:34 PM
breakaway

For those of you who get fatigued, does it happen shortly after meals? Or does it happen regardless of eating meals?

03/07/2012 10:24 PM
Avs1823

I am exhausted all the time. it's not uncommon for me to sleep 15 - 18 hrs at a time and wake up and be as tired as I was before I sleep. If I could get this under control, I think I would feel some better.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved