MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/03/2009 01:54 AM

Natural/Alternative Help For POTS Syndrome?

KelloggsM
KelloggsM  

Does anyone know any natural or alternative ways to help with POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia) syndrome/hypotension?

It's become so bad that I keep nearly passing out, and it's getting worse. Originally beta blockers were recommended, but I don't want to take them unless I absolutely have to.

Anything even remotely worthy of mentioning would be a great help. Even if it just makes showering the tiniest bit easier. Thanks =)

02/03/2009 05:39 PM
mem6072

Post edited by: mdcmorris, at: 06/11/2013 07:01 PM

02/03/2009 05:44 PM
KelloggsM
KelloggsM  

Thanks. I'll check into those. Any recommendations for something to help regulate my pulse/help keep me from passing out?

02/03/2009 08:59 PM
mem6072

Post edited by: mdcmorris, at: 06/11/2013 07:00 PM

02/03/2009 09:07 PM
mem6072

Post edited by: mdcmorris, at: 06/11/2013 06:59 PM

02/03/2009 09:13 PM
KelloggsM
KelloggsM  

Thank you so much. I already do some of those, but the others are worth a shot. My stomach seems to swell sometimes also, and nausea has always been a problem for me. I'm not sure if it has to do with the POTS or Lyme, but either way, it sucks. I'm only 17, so it does make things difficult. Half the time if I were to try to ride a cart at the store, they'd tell me I couldn't, thinking I'm just a teenager messing around or something. Once again because I "look" healthy. It took a lot of testing for me to be diagnosed also. And it definitely is tough. Thanks for your help, and good luck to you too =)

02/03/2009 09:24 PM
Snickers
Snickers  

I know someone in a CFS support group with Orthostatic Intolerance which I believe is the same or similar to POTS. She has had fantastic results by salt loading with sea salt. In addition to that she has also got her doctor to prescribe her physical therapy for it which helped as well. Apparently there are exercises that help with this.

I am not sure how much sea salt she is doing now. I think you can look this up online though. She did a lot of research on it. She puts sea salt in water and drinks it throughout the day. I think she started with 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt in water and built up from there. She went slower with it which is a good idea. I think she is up to 2,500 or 3,000 mg a day now. Mind you she eats a really healthy diet of fresh whole foods so she doesn't get much salt at all from her diet. She started drinking the salt water and she also started salting her food more.

Anyhow...you can look into this and see if it is something that might help you. You could maybe work with your doctor on this as well. I know her doctor was helping her with all this. I would go slow though. You don't want to increase it faster than your body can handle.

I keep meaning to do this myself. I sometimes do the 1/4 tsp of sea salt but can't remember to keep up with it. I do feel even that small amount helps me a bit though. I have OI as well but not as severe as yours.

I hope you find something to help you with this. What Lyme treatment are you currently doing? I have actually read that Orthostatic Intolerance is very common with lyme disease. If you find a successful treatment for lyme disease it should help your POTS as well if it is indeed being caused by the lyme.

OH and if you do this make sure to use sea salt and not regular table salt. They are very different. I use celtic sea salt. I believe my friend uses himalayan sea salt. I think she has used celtic as well but felt that the himalayan sea salt dissolved better.

Take Care!

Pam Smile

Post edited by: Snickers, at: 02/03/2009 21:34

02/03/2009 09:32 PM
KelloggsM
KelloggsM  

Mdcmorris, I'm sorry, but what do you mean by FD?

Snickers, thank you for sharing that. I'll have to try adding some to my water, little by little, and see if it helps.

Right now, I'm trying to find a doctor/treatment for my Lyme. In limbo, I guess you could say. I'm not sure where to go from here. Nothing I've tried yet has worked, and I don't particularly trust my doctors.

Thanks again for all the help =) Hopefully the salt and all the tips from mdcmorris will help.

02/03/2009 09:41 PM
Snickers
Snickers  

I was editing my post while you were posting...just wanted to say to make sure to use sea salt and not regular table salt since they are different.

I hope you can find a good Lyme Doctor. I am sure the group leaders here could give you the names of some LLMD's in your area if you send them a message. It is so important to have a good doctor that knows how to treat lyme. Your POTS could very well be due to the lyme so an LLMD might be able to help you with that as well.

Good luck with all these recommendations and your search for a doctor. I hope something works for you!

Pam Smile

02/03/2009 09:43 PM
mem6072

Post edited by: mdcmorris, at: 06/11/2013 06:58 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved