MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/18/2012 10:41 AM

Questions for all of you, please...

Avs1823

I am looking for insight and info for all who want to respond. I value and respect your info that's why I'm asking.

I'm also asking for everyone to respect the comments given and realize we all have different opinions.

As most of you know I'm not really a prescription person. I much prefer to do what I can naturally.

Saying that, this is my issue:

All 3 of my dr's, GP, Lyme friendly dr, and chiro, have decided that I need to be on an antidepressant. They have communicated w each other and all agree.

As I've posted over the last couple of months, I'm not doing so well. I've been sick for years and though have made progress, I'm still not a functioning person.

I've basically given up.

I'm not suicidal but really don't see the point of going on if this is all there is to life.

I can't work, am depending on kids and friends to keep me going. Still fighting w disability.

Drs took my dr lic away 3 weeks ago, not that I was driving much, but 1 more thing.

right now I can't even buy a loaf of bread without having to have someone do it for me (not that I could eat it anyway, just an example!) and pay for it.

So, do I go on something for awhile to try to help? the drs say that in the state I'm in, nothing is going to do much good as bad as I am mentally.

I've been fighting it, but can't live like this. Prozac is what they want to use. say it's not addictive,

doesn't have the issues like Cymbalta, and if it doesn't work I can come right off w out any issues.

Any thoughts will be helpful! I know we're not drs but I value your experience and knowledge.

Thanks!!

G

emphasized questions she has, bettyg, leader

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 02/19/2012 12:50 AM

02/18/2012 10:56 AM
sebnova81
sebnova81  

I am weary of SSRI's. I was on paxil for a while years ago and I tappered off very slowly, but had horrible withdrawal symptoms. Up until all this lyme stuff, it was the worst moment of my life. I don't understand how dr's can prescribe SSRI's so frequently and not discuss withdrawal. A dr. told me that it can be like heroin withdrawal basically. I lost my job and was a mess for a while coming off of the drug.

That is just my experience with it and everyone IS different. I have to take xanax right now in order to work and function and I hate having to take it, but if it will help me cope right now, I will do it. I think it could be very beneficial to be on an anti-depressant to help deal with all of this, I just wish that I hadn't had such a horrible experience when I was younger!

02/18/2012 11:40 AM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

Hey G. I think that with the current state of your situation, taking an anti-depressant for a season wouldn't be horrible. I am not at all a huge promoter of them, either. But I do know that in extreme cases, sometimes we just need to concede and do it for a while.

I would just ask that whichever one is chosen, that it have the lowest possibility of addiction, you know? Maybe people can weigh in on which type of anti-depressant is best?

I will be praying for peace of mind in whatever you decide, dear one.

Lots of love,

L

02/18/2012 12:46 PM
kimomile

I went on sertraline around the holidays(zoloft). I was not happy about it, but I could not function or take care of my kids. It was quite horrible. It has helped tremendously.

I did have side effects, but they were mild in comparison to the Lyme symptoms I was feeling. My ND said that the Lyme made me very sensitive to it. My anxiety has greatly diminished and at some point, when thongs are mote stable, we will work to get me off of them.

As far as addiction goes, I can only speak from experience when I was on Paxil 10 years ago. If you taper off of it very slowly, you should be okay. It slowly cut back my dose every other day for abou 2 months until I was done.

I know some say that Lyme patients have bad reactions to ssri's, but I can't say that I had that experience. For me it helped me get back to work by stabilizing my mood.

And like you, I hate prescription drugs. But for now, this one is helping me through a very difficult time.

Good luck! Ther is life after Lyme, keep plugging!

02/18/2012 01:03 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

KIMOMILE-

SSRIS have been proven to cause "DRUG INDUCED NEUTROPENIA" which will lower your WBC & immune system response even more so than it is due to LD & Co.

SSRI's do nothing but mask your symptoms. You need to be looking into Heavy Metal Detoxing, proper diet & nutrients. The symptoms will eventually start to go away over time.

02/18/2012 01:21 PM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

Hi G-

I know exactly how you're feeling and went through the same suggestions by everyone but my llmd...he told me it was the infections and that detoxing would help.

I was unable to drive for months, and it leaves you totally dependent on others.. it's not an easy thing to accept. I have been very independent my whole life and it was really life altering to have these limitations..it tends to force you to either gain a new perspective of the situation, or it can crush you.

I have two ideas for you if you choose...one is that your lungs are the organ holding the grief/sadness..and trying to detox and or treat what is affecting them would help.

Also, I have a link for homeopathic remedies that you could consider..I used homeopathy to get through my PTSD of losing my dog at the beginning of treatment..and I had to use it for the year anniversary of it.

Here's the link..

http://treatingdepressionhelp.com/homeopathic-remedies-for- depression

When I was engaged to a doctor years ago, he put me on 5 different antidepressants and none of them worked, they made me worse. It was only when I left him that things changed for me. It was situational..and antidepressants won't work on that.

This was my experience with them..I know everyone has different ones.

I'm sorry you're feeling like there's no solution to your situation..my heart goes out to you. There's a spiritual solution to every problem..Wayne Dyer wrote a book about it. I feel you will find your solutions in time..you are strong, you've come this far..please keep going.

You're in my thoughts and prayers G..my love and many blessings to you in this tough time.

peace love and light-kim

02/18/2012 03:05 PM
kimomile

Raven,

What is drug induced neutropenia? That doesn't sound very good.

02/18/2012 04:12 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

We have several different WBCs, Neutrophils being the most abundant. When you take SSRIs, the drugs attack the blood cells & kill them. This is known as "Drug Induced Neutropenia.

I have been on my fair share of SSRIs so I am well aware of what they do & how you feel when you come off them. Effexor XR, 300mg. for over 10 years, among others.

02/18/2012 06:05 PM
kimomile

Wow! Well, that's another reminder to make this stint with ssri's short like the last time.

I was on a low dose of Paxil for 10 months and weaned slowly. My zoloft dosage is relatively low too. But I don't plan to use it long term.

It did mess with me quite a bit at first. My Lyme symptoms were more intense.

Anyway, it is not a pill I like to take, but it has helped. It will no doubt be a short bandaid.

And yes it does mask symptoms, which actually complicates treatment a bit.

02/18/2012 06:16 PM
Avs1823

Thanks for the input you've given me. I'm not familiar w these types of meds. I was on Cymbalta for 9 months for "pain" they said, but didn't do anything so quit taking them.

Prozac is what my dr wants me to take. what is the difference between it and Paxil? I see several comments on Paxil.

Thanks!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved