MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/12/2012 02:15 PM

Question about exercise

JoJoMa830
JoJoMa830  

Does anyone know if it is okay to exercise while going through treatment? I read somewhere that you shouldn't, but I don't know how reliable my source was.

It said that since exercise causes tiny muscle tears that the Lyme would thrive off of the injury. Any ideas?

02/12/2012 02:31 PM
sebnova81
sebnova81  

From what I've read, people should be doing strengthening exercises, but not cardio.

02/12/2012 02:46 PM
doglick
doglickPosts: 682

Exercise is the best 'detox' there is. Increases the metabolic elimination of toxins that are the end product of lyme. Cardio and strength need to be done in moderation. I've have a regular workout at least once a week with walks once a day. It has kept me from being bed bound. It hurts, it is very hard to get going sometimes, but when I am done I feel far better. Often if I over do the workout I end up sleeping for a couple hours.

The key is to exercise enough but not too much. Too heavy weight damage the joints. You will know because the pain is quite strong. Too much cardio and you will have difficulty staying awake long enough to get home.

That's my experience.

02/12/2012 02:56 PM
zew1616
zew1616  

it seems to help me a great deal. i exercise every day, have read that even though it hurts, do it anyway. good luck

02/12/2012 03:44 PM
Crayfish
Crayfish  

Everytime I exercised I became much worse. I do very light yoga for now and use two lb. hand weights for arms.

I used to love exercise but now it scares me. I really miss riding my bike. It's tempting for me but I am sticking with what works for me for now.

02/12/2012 04:39 PM
JJ351
JJ351  

My LLNP advised against exercise except yoga while being treated. Not sure if it is specific to my Lyme treatment or a general rule.

I do have a tendency to "over-do" and have been learning over these past 11 months how to do just 50% of what I would normally do when I am feeling well or having a "good day".

When I am too active I "crash" and tend to "lose ground" in my treatment...

02/14/2012 09:15 AM
GlitchyMomma
GlitchyMomma  

I've also read that yoga and other movement type therapies are good. I think the trick is to listen to what your body is telling you.

Along with everything else in life, there are you more conservative or more liberal approaches to treating this disease.

My LLMD has seen 7,000+ patients and is a "slow and steady wins the race" kind of guy. That approach makes sense to me because I want to BUILD UP my body to help fight the infection.

Working out too hard, or pushing through Herx's that are too severe, seem like they would break my body down and delay my progress in my battle against Lyme.

I guess the old adage may say it best, everything in moderation.

02/14/2012 11:17 AM
nank59
nank59  

My ND advised me to continue exercise in moderation - that is is helpful. Also, I've read that it is beneficial.

It does sometimes hurt and I can't do too much - other times it makes me feel better while exercising, but I begin hurting again shortly afterwards.

02/14/2012 11:33 AM
Weasy
Weasy  
VIP Member

I have recently started cardio again along side push ups and sit ups.

If you can't exercise, don't force yourself but our bodies were undoubtedly designed to be physically active. It's all about balance!

Exercise when you can but know your limits!! Physically exertion on the body just gets things moving.

If exercise for you constitutes scratching your head, so be it. That is your limit. It's still physical exertion but with balance taken into consideration.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved