MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/26/2012 04:21 PM

Lyme and depression

Lindy1998
Lindy1998Posts: 21

I am really struggling with some depression right now. Is this normal for people with Lyme's to have times of depression? My fiance told me the other night that I won't get better because I don't know how to think positively and I only focus on the leg pain or the fevers. I told him I have tried to "think" the pain away, but it doesn't work. The truth is the only thing that works is the Vicodin-I'm not getting a buzz from it, but it allows me to feel like I used to before I got sick. I feel normal again and I can function. I end up running out before I'm supposed to and I know the nurses and pharmacists think I should be pain free by now. I know they think the worst. I am now out again and my legs are hurting. Once again I'm sad and bitter. I'm certain I got the tick bite from my fiance's land and I want to scream at him. I'm so tired of this up and down ride. I hate the pathetic pattern of my life the past year or more. When does this all end? Thanks for listening or any advice you may have. I really need something...

01/26/2012 04:30 PM
novoice
novoice  

I understand completely. I feel the same way. There are days I just want to cry the day away. Talk to you dr. See if he can prescribe something to help. Many Lyme patients I know have bouts of depression and are on anxiety or mood stablizing medecines. I think it come with this dreaded disease.

01/26/2012 04:39 PM
angelaw
angelaw  

Lindy,

First off, I hope it's not, but if your depression is bad enough that you are contemplating suicide, please call the US National Suicide hotline. 1800-SUICIDE. Had to include this just.in.case.

Im so sorry you are struggling! I understand it's really hard not to get depressed when you're in so much pain all the time, life is not as is should be (able to do the things you enjoy with energy, free of pain), and you just don't know when it's going to end. I get it!

I have a husband that has also told me I can make it better with a 'mind over matter' thinking. We ALL know here that you just can't. Nor can you push yourself to do things that your body just simply won't allow you to do.

I, too, and I'm sure MANY in this group, can relate to suffering from depression due to this illness from time to time.

Have you tried anti-depressants? I know they didn't help me (they only exaggerated certain symptoms I have- dizziness, fatigue, and I'd black out a lot on them). But, a combination of ST. JOHNS WART and 5-HTP really helped. It did take a couple of weeks to get them into my system, but they really did help me!

Sound like you know what you're dealing with, besides being depressed about it... Lyme. Are you treating? How long have you been treating?

Hang in there hon! We're here to ride out this roller coaster ride of a journey with you. Here's to better days ahead, right?!

Angie =D

01/26/2012 07:48 PM
GlitchyMomma
GlitchyMomma  

Lindy,

Hang in there. Quoting Ronda before, you've gotten through this pain before and you will get through it again. You are tough! I'm sending strength your way ~ ~ ~ ~

Hugs

01/26/2012 09:03 PM
JoJoMa830
JoJoMa830  

Hey Lindy,

I've been feeling the same ups and downs lately. Some days my mood is awesome and I feel more positive than ever, and other days I find it so hard to think positive at all, especially when I'm feeling sick.

I'm still trying to find my way out of these slumps, but know that you're not alone! You can PM anytime, just to ramble or complain or chat. I know how it feels, as I'm sure most of us do, and it always makes it better to have shoulders to lean on and understand along the way Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved