MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/23/2012 02:40 AM

Lyme and cough?

lymedout
lymedout  

Hi friends,

Can anyone out there tell me something to make the cough go away!!!!

My ears are all stopped up and I'm coughing like crazy. I can't sleep because I cough all night. It's a croopy loud dry cough. I have a history of getting bronchitis every time I catch a cold but this doesn't feel like that. It seriously feels like I'm going to cough up a lung!

I've been taking vitamins and started eating 'the Lyme diet' about 2 weeks ago. Is it possible that it could be a herx reaction .... Maybe I 'ticked off' the bugs with my sugar depravation? Smile

Please help. I need some sleep... Are there cough drops that are Lyme friendly??!

Thanks!

Lymedout

--- The discussion has been locked ---

01/23/2012 02:54 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

out,

just lost what i typed, so will try again; you sound like me!

do you have any of PURPLE RX MED with codine in it? that really works good for me/hubby.

MENTHOL cough drops help us both also.

i think also WARM HONEY IN WATER for gargling/soothing the throat.

salt in WARM WATER GARGLING

best wishes, hugs/prayers,

bettyg, leader

01/23/2012 03:20 AM
lymedout
lymedout  

Hi Betty,

Thanks for replying so quickly. The only thing that's ever helped my cough is the cough syrup with codeine in it. Haven't heard of te one you mentioned though.

I had about 2 tbspoons of it left in my med cab but it didn't help either.

Those cough drops you mentioned...are they sugar free? I will try the honey and the salt water.

It's definitely worse at night and when I lie down. Im actually getting sore from coughing so

hard.

Thanks for your help! Hugs to you!

Lymedout

01/23/2012 04:12 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

cough medicine; sounds like we are talking of the SAME thing; both have codine in it. ours is purple colored.

cough drops sugar free; I DOUBT IT; was just out to kitchen but have my 4 frozen ice packs/pillow behind my head where i need them so not going to look now.

please send me a PM, and i'll look later on when i'm up. trying to finish up and go to bed; kept falling asleep at pc on last post! uffda.

i know what you mean about non-stop coughing.

worst i was non-stop coughing and I COULDN'T BREATH AT ALL; sinus completely plugged up; i thought i was going to die at that time.

hugs,

bettg

01/23/2012 06:19 AM
purpleyogamat
purpleyogamat  
Group Leader

lymedout,

Have you been to the doctor to get this checked out?

I know whenever I start coughing my doc wants to see me to make sure it isn't another infection on top of everything else. remember: it is FLU and RSV season!

So maybe getting checked out would be a good idea?

01/23/2012 07:17 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

HI lymedout-

It is very possible that you are having die off from the yeast...the diet and foods we eat are very important in our treatments, and this could simply be the yeast from the sugar deprivation.

Have you been tested for Babesia? Or are you treating for it? Just one more possibility..or a mycoplasma/chlamydia pneumonia type infection..

How long have you had the cough? Was it before or after you started the diet?

Blessings to you, feel better soon..

peace-kim

01/23/2012 07:33 AM
lymedout
lymedout  

Thanks for the helpful feedback The cough started after the diet. My ears became very full and popped and crackled alot.

Then I woke up one morning and I could barely talk...but my voice went back to normal within a couple hours. Then the cough started and seems to come and go.

One day I'll be fine ad the next I'm coughing my lungs up...ALL NIGHT! My doc is testing me for babesia and said at our first appointment that she suspects I have it.

Can you tell me more about the other infection you mentioned Kim? The mycoplasma/chlamydia pneumonia one??

Best,

Ashley

01/23/2012 07:52 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

HI Ashley-

I can tell you more about Babesia and yeast, those are what I dealt with.. I don't have first hand experience with Mycoplasma and Chlamydia pneumonia..I'll find some information for you to look at though.

I know that my Babesia gave me a dry cough that hurt, and the yeast will produce a wet cough..

Here is a link to a symptoms chart that will show you that Babesia and Mycoplasma are cough producers..

http://www.lyme-symptoms.com/LymeCoinfectionChart.html

You're starving the yeast off and that will ultimately upset what balance was in your system for the infections' previous habitat, so it will bring out the infections one by one as you start eliminating and detoxing..

My personal opinion is Babesia, mine hit me at night also..with yeast..

Here's a link for Mycoplasma Pneumonia..

http://www.lymediseaseblog.com/mycoplasma-overlooked-lyme- co-infection/

peace-kim

Post edited by: fabajenna, at: 01/23/2012 08:05 AM

01/23/2012 08:22 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

Hi Ashley-

I found you a link on Chlamydia pneumonia..I hope this will help explain it further for you..

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm? libid=12763

peace-kim

01/23/2012 09:27 AM
mem6583

Hi Ashley -

I have a chronic cough also. It's usually dry, but every once in a while gets a bit mucky. For a while in 2010 I had no voice, either. Here are things that help me:

- Ricola cough drops - they have a sugar free version of the original. Ricola are the best, most effective cough drops around in my opinion. I suck on one to fall asleep when the cough is bad. They carry them in the grocery store here.

- Elevate your head and chest with pillows when you sleep. Not great for your posture, but you need sleep! Important: you need to elevate the upper torso as well as your head for this to help.

- Mug of warm water with 2-3 tsp apple cider vinegar, sipped about 30-40 minutes before bed. You can add a little honey, but that will defeat the anti-candida diet, so try some stevia instead.

- If the cough is bad, humidifier is a possibility - depends on whether you have mold issues or live in a humid climate. It's very dry here, so it helps me a lot.

- Vick's vapo-rub around the nostrils. Nasty, but helpful.

- Instead of a humidifier, you can boil water with herbs like mint, mullein, eucalyptus. Remove from stove & let cool a little. Make a tent over your head with a towel or blanket and inhale the steam.

I hope that some of those ideas help. Feel better!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved