MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/19/2012 06:40 AM

Lyme from lice?

kimomile

I just read an article on this group's page that said you can get Lyme from head lice? Really?

01/19/2012 08:16 AM
mem6583

Can you post the link to the article you read? I've seen documentation that you can get co-infections from lice.

Here's one example: Bartonella quintana (aka trench fever) http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/230294-overview

There are theories that ticks are not the only vectors for borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme bacteria). The bacteria have been found in other insects (mosquitos, etc.) but whether or not other insects can/do transmit the bacteria to humans is up for debate.

I have seen people's stories (here and in articles) where the bite of a non-tick insect has triggered Lyme symptoms and rash. I have not seen controlled studies that demonstrated transmission (doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I have not seen them).

01/19/2012 10:24 AM
kimomile

It was on the "articles" tab on the top of this page.

01/19/2012 10:29 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

It was a Tom Grier, Brain article..good find kimomile!!!!Smile

peace-kim

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved