MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/14/2012 08:49 AM

are abx putting a hole in my stomach?

tizmo
tizmo  

How does everyone else take so many antibiotics and not have stomach issues? What are some of the things to take to prevent stomach problems?

Ex: antacids, etc.

01/14/2012 08:54 AM
JoJoMa830
JoJoMa830  

I had many stomach issues - got sick all the time. The only thing that helped me was to eat something before I took them.

For me I take them after I eat lunch and before I got to bed. I just make sure I have some oatmeal or a couple pieces of toast before I took them at night. I also drank warm tea with lemon. It didn't make the stomach problems go away but it definitely helped. Good luck!

01/14/2012 08:55 AM
JoJoMa830
JoJoMa830  

Oh and my doctor also gave me zantac to calm my stomach acid and zofran to keep me from getting sick so often. I don't take them all the time, but they helped as well. Maybe ask your doctor about them Smile

01/14/2012 09:07 AM
tizmo
tizmo  

My doctor prescribed tagamet but it says it can increase your chances of catching a virus that causes pneumonia and I get viruses all the time so I don't want to take it. Do all antacids do that?

01/14/2012 09:35 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

Blessings all-

Antacids can do more damage than good when taking..this link will tell you what each ingredient can do..

http://www.healthyrevelations.com/articles/Health/ antaciddangers.aspx

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR602357/ DSECTION=side-effects

http://refluxdefense.com/heartburn_GERD_articles/side- effects-antacids-and-acid-blockers.html

They also interfere with antibiotic absorption and should not be used together unless taken at least four hours apart, and there's still no guarantee of full absorption..you'd be wasting your money on antibiotics.

peace-kim

Post edited by: fabajenna, at: 01/14/2012 09:39 AM

01/14/2012 09:39 AM
tizmo
tizmo  

So what helps. I don't really want to take antacids because I am already taking antibiotics and that was a hard thing for me to do in the first place.

01/14/2012 09:49 AM
sebnova81
sebnova81  

There must be some natural things to help? I know ginger is supposed to help with upset stomachs, but our issue is more to do with taking antibiotics and the damage they do too...I wish I knew! I take probiotics and an herbal yeast defense, but I feel like I should find something to help with stomach pain/diarrhea, but I don't want to take more meds either...

Post edited by: sebnova81, at: 01/14/2012 09:51 AM

01/14/2012 09:58 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

Blessings all-

Naturals that will help with stomach issues are ACV, aloe juice, ginger, peppermint, and chamomile ..swedish bitters or bitters also help tremendously.

peace-kim

01/14/2012 10:07 AM
waxby
waxbyPosts: 4818
VIP Member

~~~Hello tizmo,

~~~I take my abx, mino, azith, and rifampin, on an empty stomach with 12oz+/- of water to clear my stomach and digestive tract quickly so that I can quickly get on with reconstituting my intestinal flora.

~~~If acid is one of your problems take 3/4+/- teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 4oz of water to knock it out!

``` Mitchell ```

Post edited by: waxby, at: 01/14/2012 10:10 AM

01/14/2012 10:24 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

Just make sure you wait 2 hours before taking other meds and it comes with side effects as it's sodium bicarbonate..

http://www.drugs-web.com/drugs/b/baking-soda.htm

peace-kim

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved