MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/02/2012 09:09 PM

I can't stop itching - suggestions?

menuff
menuffPosts: 54

I have been having full body itching (mostly at nights) for the last week. There is no rash or sign of skin issues. I've tried tropical creams and Benadryl - any other helpful suggestions?

01/02/2012 09:39 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

Take a warm/hot bath with Cumin &/or Ginger (both is better). Soak entire body (including head) for at least 30 mins. & rinse off afterwards. Works wonders every time!!!

01/02/2012 09:57 PM
ontong
ontongPosts: 269

hi, my experience with the whole body itching is that it is a form of neuropathy, not literally my skin itching. I have lorazepam for restless leg syndrome and that will stop the itching quickly.

Though I have never tried it for the itching, valerian root might help since it is an herbal relaxant. You could even try ibuprofen to see if that just shuts down the pain signal and relaxes you a bit, an over the counter sleeping med might help and who knows, perhaps aspirin could work also.

Im not dismissing other folks' suggestions either.

I hope you get some relief! I remember when I got my first attack of that, it felt like I was being stung by wasps all over. I was screaming from the pain and itching, and I have no idea why I thought to try it, but I took a lorazepam and it stopped almost immediately.

John

01/02/2012 10:15 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

ontong - I also have peripheral neuropathy & the cumin/ginger is the only thing that helped me. Ginger will relieve the inflamation & the cumin will pull the toxin, build up out of the body.

01/02/2012 10:59 PM
ontong
ontongPosts: 269

Thanks Raven. I will try that! what form do you take them in?

John

01/03/2012 03:36 AM
threeofus

Thought I'd share just in case.....I had horrible itching that went away when I cut out gluten.

01/03/2012 07:53 PM
menuff
menuffPosts: 54

Thank you all! I am going to try a gluten free diet (I am a big pasta and bread lover so it won't be easy - any suggestions on cookbooks or whatnot?)

And I will also try the various herbal treatments too...it is wonderful to have support

01/03/2012 08:45 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

ontong - I just buy the 2 in bulk & put about 1 cup each in the bath. (I have a soaker tub)

01/25/2012 09:18 AM
Max999

I also had full body itching. I felt like I had rolled in fiberglass. I had no rashes or visible symptoms just itching. This was a head to toe itch; all day, all night. After about 2 weeks it got to the point where I could no longer sleep so I went to the Dr. After blood tests, ultra sound and CT scans it was found that I had a tumor on my pancreas. The tumor was pushing on my gall bladder which in turn cause an excess of bile to be produced. My body couldn't process the bile which caused the itch. Not to freak you out but I wanted to relay my story. I'm only 34 and my dr had not seen anything like this before. Get checked out and look at all the possibilities. If it is pancreatic cancer catching it in the early stages is the most important thing.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved