MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/04/2011 11:41 AM

Needing help with the lyme diet?

tizmo
tizmo  

My one LLMD has never given me a diet to follow, my other lLMD says I should do the Paleo diet, and now I'm hearing on hear about the GAP diet. So what do I follow? And are fruits a big no no since they have sugar?

Or are natural sugars ok? I'm also hearing Brown rice flour and oatmaeal are not ok? What the heck does a person eat? Lettuce, Lettuce and more Lettuce? I'm confused and hungry.

12/04/2011 11:51 AM
Weasy
Weasy  
VIP Member

This is the problem with the internet. There is so much information, it becomes endless research and people become confused.

The foundation of your Lyme diet, based on the general Lyme community, is to avoid gluten, sugar and dairy. Everything else is based off of personal preference and what your body can tolerate.

Fruits low in sugar are recommended such as blueberries, granny smith apples, grapefruit, raspberries, blackberries and avocados. These fruit may not agree with your body as well so listen to your body!

What do you eat Tizmo? It might be a little hard considering we've been at the mercy of corporations our entire lives.

You need think instinctively. What would you eat if you were out in the forest? Whole and raw foods.

Some people can't tolerate oatmeal, I can. Oatmeal is actually great for repairing nerves damaged from Lyme.

12/04/2011 12:42 PM
purpleyogamat
purpleyogamat  
Group Leader

Hi Tizmo,

It can be overwhelming, right?

There are a lot of different "diets" you can try. Like Weasy said, it depends on the person and what helps them feel better.

It is recommended you avoid sugar and yeast while on antibiotics since they can encourage yeast overgrowth.

I think the most important thing about diet is: Consume as many whole foods as possible. Avoid as many processed foods as possible. Drink lots of water.

purple

12/04/2011 02:44 PM
DannetteWrites
DannetteWrites  

I had to go sugar free and gluten free. I found that that really helped a lot. My LLMD says Lyme loves sugar and gluten and gave me whole books to read about it. My former LLMD - a Dr. J (Wash DC) PA - says Dr. J agreed with this and trys to get all his patients sugar and gluten free.

12/04/2011 02:57 PM
szeck
szeck  

Avoid fruits like bananas, grapes, and raisins, as these fruits have the highest sugar content. You should look into purchasing the book Recipes for Repair, it goes into detail about a lyme diet. Also Singleton's book The Lyme Disease Solution has a whole chapter dedicated to the lyme inflammation diet, it is very specific

http://www.recipesforrepair.com/diet.html

12/04/2011 10:10 PM
JJ351
JJ351  

Weasy,

Wow - I didn't know oatmeal is good for repairing nerve damage!! I could use as much help as possible with nerves damaged by Lyme Smile

I have trouble with the oatmeal - my LLNP tells me I should try it with protein and then I should be okay...

I always learn so much on this site Smile Thanks to you all and HUGS,

JJ

12/05/2011 02:55 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

doc with MS gets cured with diet

i've NOT read/watched video here, but extensive discussion about it all here!!

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=113095;p=0

Interesting link - doc with MS gets cured with diet

Haley

Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)

Member # 22008

posted 12-01-2011 09:06 PM

This is a 17 minute talk, but I thought it was worth it.

This is an MD that got MS and decided to treat with diet. She says that they will be presenting research about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc&feature=share

You'll be out shopping for veggies tomorrow.

[ 12-02-2011, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Haley ]

Posts: 1415 | From California | Registered: Aug 2009 | IP: Logged |

seekhelp

Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)

Member # 15067

posted 12-02-2011 12:17 AM

Wow, this was really enlightening. Made me think real hard about the choices I've made to date. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 7059 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008 | IP: Logged |

/////////////

Keebler

Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)

Member # 12673

posted 12-02-2011 01:11 AM

-

Haley,

Thanks so much for that link. I loved seeing the amounts of food we should eat each day. She's an amazing role model.

The regular TED Talks site does not have this. So, that TEDxIowaCity link just came out of nowhere - I never would have found that.

From her talk, for those new to lyme, it's important to know that like MS (regardless of the cause) lyme frequently attacks:

Myelin sheath (nerve "coating" for protective); and Mitochondria

Here's are a few more links to complement:

http://www.amazon.com/Minding-Mitochondria-2nd-progressive- wheelchair/dp/0982175086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322805441& sr=8-1

BOOK:

Minding My Mitochondria 2nd Edition: How I overcame secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (MS) and got out of my wheelchair.

Terry L. Wahls, M.D.

$38.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Publication Date: April 1, 2010

You can look inside this book - and read 23 reader reviews, each 5 stars.

You might check your local library or inter-library loan, too, or buddy up to share this book.

http://www.terrywahls.com/

Terry Wahls, M.D. official website

http://www.mindingmymitochondria.com/

Book home page

http://terrywahls.blogspot.com/

Author's web BLOG for 2008-2010

-

[ 12-02-2011, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

noodlydoo

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 3273

posted 12-02-2011 01:31 AM

I have read quite a bit about diet and MS. I didn't watch your link, but I suspect it is similar to what I am familiar with. I have seen quite a few videos, and read quite a bit of research that suggests diet plays a huge role.

The theory that two physicians came up with (and I'm over simplifying it here) is that MS is an allergy. Because of several pre-conditioned factors, the patient experiences leaky gut.

When this happens, un-digested proteins are passed directly into the blood stream. these proteins have a very similar structure to the mylan sheath protein structure. The body leaps into action against these un-digested proteins, and since the spinal chord is so similar, the immune system attacks that as well.

When these foods are removed 100% from the diet (not 99%), then further development of symptoms is arrested. Amazing stuff. Again, I have over simplified a complex cascade of events, but you get the jist of it.

It requires total commitment, and it follows the paleo diet.

Heres the kicker. People with Lymes often have the same MRI scans as those with MS. And for some, development of symptoms become difficult to distinguish between a Lyme and an MS patient.

--------------------

http://www.InTheGut.com

Offering my opinion, not medical advice.

Posts: 260 | From Washington | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged |

Keebler

Member # 12673

posted 12-02-2011 01:39 AM

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

-

noodlydoo,

From what I've read about the Paleo Diet, I don't think that she's advocating a total Paleo diet (but, then, there may be variations of that or she may use that just as a reference point).

At her website, she shows cooked meat and onions. The strict Paleo diet suggests raw. The kale appeared to have been steamed in the video. So, at least there, she would differ.

Looking at the Table of Contents to the book, Paleo diet is not mentioned.

The index lists references to the Paleolithic Diet on just two separate pages.

Now, I've not looked at the rest of the book yet but in the 17 minute TED TALK,

she mentions food sensitivities and allergies to gluten and dairy but she goes far beyond that to food that feeds our cells, particularly or mitochondria - and food that supports, even helps repair the damage to the myelin sheath around the nerves.

She SHOWS us how much to eat; shows people what kale looks like. She discusses nutrients and what starvation does on a cellular level.

So, far beyond suggesting avoiding certain foods, she leads us to what our bodies have been craving all along, specific NUTRIENTS to feed our cells - nutrients that are missing on most dinner plates.

========================

At the Amazon link, you can do a word search inside the book. Using “Paleolithic”,

Page 28 . . . just a brief mention of the Paleolithic diet.

Page 154: In 2003, she did start some version of the Paleo Diet. . . . then other variations . . .

. . . November 2007, she started a different food protocol and variations from that point.

In the video, she said it was not until 2007 when she began to see real progress 3 months after starting her intense produce and clean protein approach.

As she has many recipes in the book, you can get a sense of the foods she recommends by reading through the index. Legumes, and brown rice recipes are there. Lamb, too.

Many supplements are also listed and, looking up glutamate, she does suggest avoiding it as it can cause neuro-excitability. I've sure experienced that with it.

She suggest magnesium to calm down neuro-excitability from toxins. It's good to see her include that.

I can't wait to get this. I've heard that we should have 8-10 servings of produce a day but not 9 cups. Seeing her before and current self is amazing.

Glad there are so many kinds of leafy greens. I've been waiting for this, I think. Been close regarding the choices, but not nearly so in the volume.

So glad to have seen the video. Thanks, again, Haley.

-

[ 12-02-2011, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Posts: 20928 | From Tranquil Tree House in my dreams | Registered: Jul 2007 | IP: Logged |

glm1111

Member # 16556

posted 12-02-2011 04:12 AM

The recipes in the book look yummy. I have googled about 5 of them so far and they are on line for free.

P. S. If anyone cures their Lyme disease strictly following this diet, I would be shocked.

Not to be a Negative Nellie, But I have eaten very similar foods for yrs, including going on a strict 4 mos green juice fast, using cartfuls of greens and eating salmon, brown rice and more greens etc. (Dr Youngs PH Miracle Diet)Used lots of their supplements as well.

I also had a macrobiotic cook back in the 80's when i was deathly ill for a year. NOTHING worked until I went after these infections.

The diet sounds wonderful, and should definitely help with healing. I am interested in trying some of these recipes myself. I also sent her info to a friend who was dx with MS.

Gael

--------------------

All truth passes through three stages.

First It Is Ridiculed

Second It is Violently opposed

Third It Is Accepted As Self

Evident

Arthur Schopenhauer

Posts: 3850 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008 | IP: Logged |

Dave6002

Member # 9064

posted 12-02-2011 04:28 AM

Food is the best medicine especially for Lyme as Lyme is a GI disease(a hypothesis)

Posts: 1013 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006 | IP: Logged |

noodlydoo

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 3273

posted 12-02-2011 12:13 PM

Couple of things.

Paleo is not raw....its Paleo...or caveman diet. Which, is basically Meat (cooked is fine), Vegetables, fruit and some nuts. It's a back to basics diet. Corn chips are out, as are 95% of modern day convenience foods.

The diet isn't about what you can eat, it's about what you CAN'T eat. If the theory holds true, (and I believe in it 100%), then eating Legumes, Dairy, Gluten, Tomatoes (a veggie exception), nightshades (another exception) and a few others will set your immune system into action.

I think that most people fail with this approach simply because in todays society, there are so many failure points with holidays, friends, fast food, convenience foods etc. It takes a particularly strong will. However, there are some people that think walking and bladder control is more important than dairy.

And it only takes a sip of dairy. Your body doesn't measure your intake. You either have these proteins present.......or you don't.

Again, I have not looked at her website, but I can guarantee you that its a Paleo diet.

Personally, I don't think it's a curative diet. Although I have read several times of people eliminating many symptoms, or improving greatly......I tend to think that it is an arresting diet. Simply, start eating right and MS will stop progressing.

GLM - Although I think many Lyme patients would do wonderfully on this diet, it has nothing to do with curing Lyme. Lyme is from a bacterium and probably other co-contributing factors. This theory around MS is presented as an Allergy (over - simplifying this of course).

The reason people with lyme should consider a Paleo diet, is simply because it's an anti-inflammatory diet. So many of the foods that are NOT Paleo make your C reactive protein skyrocket. It puts your internal system under great stress. If you read about these types of diets, you'll see that so many people clear themselves of so many issues with a proper diet.

It amazes me each and every day how little importance the public puts on what they ingest. It can have such a profound impact, both positive and negative. But few people will ever fully realize this simple fact.

Cheers.

--------------------

http://www.InTheGut.com

Offering my opinion, not medical advice.

Posts: 260 | From Washington | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged |

Keebler

Member # 12673

posted 12-02-2011 12:44 PM

-

I'm still not so sure that her diet is Paleo. As she started Paleo in 2003 but it was not until 2007, still wheelchair and zero-gravity chair bound that she began what she details in the book.

Within 3 months, see saw great improvement. She did not see that improvement in 2003 with Paleo, per se.

I just ordered the book so I'll let you know more after I can read it.

I'm most interested in reading what she has to say about nourishing the myelin sheath and mitochondria, specifically, as just one aspect of an overall treatment plan.

Until her book is read, we just can't know all that she says in it. While I've been eating similarly for 20 years, its the amount that I've skimped on, trying to save money or thinking that I could do with just a 1/2 cup of greens, etc.

Again, the detail about the myelin sheath and mitochondria is what attracts me most to her work - and her study of what exact nutrients can be obtained from what exact foods, lessening processed supplements.

Even if this diet (or any diet) is not the one single end-all, be-all for lyme, my guess is that she has more to say than what was in the 17 minute video.

-

Posts: 20928 | From Tranquil Tree House in my dreams | Registered: Jul 2007 | IP: Logged |

Marnie

Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)

Member # 773

posted 12-02-2011 12:46 PM

Boy with non-stop seizures was cured via "ketogenic diet" (Johns Hopkins) too.

True story (DVD) called "First Do No Harm" starring Meryl Streep. It is a FANTASTIC TRUE story. Many of the "extras" in the movie were cured too via that diet.

We are what we eat.

Hippocrates said "Let food be thy medicine."

The medicinal food for Alzheimers is called Axona.

It contains an "active ingredient" - caprylic acid (Capryl) along with a lot of other nutrients. It, of course, is costly.

The pharm. website says caprylic acid goes to the liver and converts to a special ketone called BHB which can cross the blood brain barrier where it goes into the cells' citric acid cycle and this -> more ATP.

Infected cells are following the "glycolysis route" and making only 2 ATP instead of the "oxidative phosphorylation route" and making 36 ATP.

Caprylic acid happens to be a known anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal.

It is in virgin coconut oil.

There is another diet that years ago I read (in our local paper) cured a man who had bowel cancer.

That diet is called the Halleluiah diet. There is a book...

P.S.

My sis' CRP dropped with OmegaBrite = very high EPA to counter inflammation, a tad of DHA which is structurally important, and a little vitamin E to prevent oxidation of the other 2).

IMO...getting inflammation down is very helpful, but isn't the entire picture. We have to get the inflammation down AND hit the pathogen.

Posts: 8170 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001 | IP: Logged |

Keebler

Member # 12673

posted 12-02-2011 12:50 PM

-

Echo to Gael & to Marnie's: "We have to get the inflammation down AND hit the pathogen." (end quote)

And I'll add: nourish our cells every minute. Not just eat but NOURISH. There is a difference.

Looking beyond the lyme community, like Gael, I know others who may not have lyme but might benefit greatly from this.

-

outerspace1226

Member # 34274

posted 12-02-2011 02:12 PM

My dad reversed prostate cancer with the fire engine 2 diet ALONE because he's old and won't take drugs or go to the hospital. It is similar to this one. Very strict and incredibly gassy but better than the alternative.

Posts: 38 | From Cleveland, Pittsburgh | Registered: Oct 2011 | IP: Logged |

Keebler

Member # 12673

posted 12-02-2011 02:22 PM

-

outerspace,

Funny, I have visions of 5-Alarm Chili on the Fire Engine 2 diet. I'll have to look that up just out of curiosity - how grand it worked for him.

[editing for clarity, I now realize you were referring to the Fire 2 diet as strict, no Wahls']

[however] I did not think what I saw on Dr. Wahls' plates was a strict diet at all.

Nine cups of good food a day seems like Christmas to me. So many here say they can't find enough foods to eat or that they feel starved. This diet is very generous to my eyes and offers good culinary complexity.

The recipes in the book sound delicious.

So, I don't think of it as strict, just precise.

-

[ 12-02-2011, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler

Member # 12673

posted 12-02-2011 02:25 PM

-

[outerspace mentioned this plan as saving her/his dad's life]

On first glance, this looks interesting [and that guy is pretty cute to my eyes, too].

http://engine2diet.com/

Engine 2 Diet

-

[ 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

mbdq

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 26277

posted 12-02-2011 03:54 PM

That was an awesome video. Thanks for posting and boy am I gonna try it!

Posts: 163 | From Hudson Valley | Registered: Jun 2010 | IP: Logged |

willbeatthis

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 31111

posted 12-03-2011 11:12 PM

I just began seeing a chiropractor that is a natural trained doc and she is working with me on diet and I am better than I have been in three years. There is a book called GAPS.... it is amazing. I am following the protocol. I encourage you all to read it as I believe with everything in me, we have to build our immune system to fight and because the main part of the immune system is in the gut... diet is key... Contact me if you want more info. I am beyond encouraged... I have hesitated to post here until I see how well I am doing a little further down the road... Blessings-

Posts: 168 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011 | IP: Logged |

willbeatthis

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 31111

posted 12-03-2011 11:13 PM

Thanks Haley for this as well... amazing...

Posts: 168 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011 | IP: Logged |

hadlyme

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 6364

posted 12-04-2011 10:38 PM

I haven't watched the video yet, but if this is a veggie type of whole food diet, then it makes sense with what my llmd is saying for us to go on a no fat, veggie diet to fight our disease. His theory is that it breaks down the biofilm. Google FL1953 and diet in here and you'll find lots on diet and 'lyme' or it's co infections.

Posts: 593 | From Arizona | Registered: Oct 2004 | IP: Logged |

Quick Reply

HTML is not enabled.

UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Printer-friendly view of this topic Hop To: Select a Forum: Category: Questions and Discussion -------------------- Seeking a Doctor Activism Medical Questions General Support Off Topic Computer Questions Category: News and Information -------------------- Press Releases / News Lyme Disease Association

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1994-2011 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.

All Rights Reserved.

12/05/2011 05:23 AM
Weasy
Weasy  
VIP Member

@JJ.. That's pretty cool, huh? I actually found that out the other day. I've been eating oats since I can remember.

St John's Wort is another route for repairing nerve damage.

You don't hear much about repairing nerves from the damaged caused by Lyme.

04/30/2012 09:38 AM
redridersp

I just found this forum and am glad I did. I'm not a fan of oatmeal but will eat more for sure. I'm just beginning to explore a diet. I've been vegetarian since my 20's due to gallbladder issues and have learned to listen to my body when it comes to eating. This is the first place/ person to mention a specific diet for Lyme but it certainly makes sense.

I've seen a lot of books and programs for Lyme in the last few days, aside for recipes for repair, can anyone recommend any others that stand out?

04/30/2012 10:12 AM
greenespace
greenespace  

I will just post this regarding the importance of adhering to the Lyme diet- just do it.

I recently went to a Lyme meeting and there were people eating cookies, soft drinks, and other sugary snacks. All of them were complaining about how poorly their treatment was coming along. Small wonder.

Also, I recently had a birthday and my girlfriend made me a cake. It was really nice of her to do, and I thought well, it's my birthday, why not have a little cake some wine with that. Normally, one or the other wouldn't be so bad, but the combo sent me for a loop.

Don't be sent for a loop- stick as much as you can to a good diet and you will feel much better as a result.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved