MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/18/2009 07:07 AM

Help - arm wet under Picc dressing

Betsy

Any advice is greatly appreciated! My daughter has been doing so well since mid November with her PICC line and antibiotics. About 2 weeks ago, it started weeping and dressing would not adhere. She is loaded with benedryl and it's still a challenge. She sleeps with me so I can prevent her from moving or itching the arm. The nurse is ready to pull it out. It gets better for a day and completely dries, then overnight the wetness comes back and it's soaked underneath.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is happening? We stopped all antibiotics over a week ago, she is taking extra diflucan and lots of Vitamin C.

Thanks.

Betsy

01/18/2009 07:34 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

definately get with the doc and the nurse on that. no point in taking chances that could cause her to splip backwards because of infections and such....

01/18/2009 08:41 AM
synergyman
synergyman  

How old is your daughter? My husband had that problem in his 6th month of IV's. His skin was sensitive to the adhesive cleaner and then the adhesive. We cleaned the area with Betadine Solution, let it dry and then placed tape (that was easy to remover) over the line to hold it in place and then put a 4X4 gauze over it. It allowed the skin to repair itself.

Good luck

Suzie

01/18/2009 09:39 AM
Betsy

She is 14 years old. It is going on 2 weeks. How long can we keep trying to control this situation? I'm worried about what else could happen if we don't pull the line.

01/18/2009 10:02 AM
pammie

You really need to get to a doctor right of way on it. Don't mean to panic you but Christine is right, there can be other infections that can arise from it. You just want to be totally sure that it is all ok. I've had the picc line and was extremely cautious and paranoid with it because it was a new thing to me.

Please have a doctor look at it and confirm it's ok.

Take care,

01/18/2009 10:21 AM
synergyman
synergyman  

I agree with the others, have a doctor check it out ASAP. My husband was a surgical tech in the Navy many moons ago so he was comfortable with his situation. Plus we had a home nurse every other or every 3rd day to check in on him while this problem was going on. Hope you get answers soon.

I am so sorry your daughter is going through all this.....With her young age, and better immune system than older folks,hopefully her ability to heal will prevail

This might sound crazy to you, but is your daughter on a gluten free diet? Per our LLMD, my husband and I (both battling late stage nuerologic lyme) are gluten free, dairy free and very minimal sugar (i.e.only sugar we get is in gluten free crackers, breads,rice chex plain, and pretzels). We have followed this protocol since Feb 2007 and what a difference it has made!!!

Best of luck with your daughter

Suzie

01/18/2009 10:21 AM
Betsy

dr looked at it a week ago...said it was skin irritation to tegaderm. Infusion Nurse saw it yesterday...she's on top of it. Unless she is under 50mg of benedryl every 6 hours it is weeping and no adhesion. She is leaning towards pulling it out, but wanted to know if anyone else had this and if it turned around at some point. thanks.

01/18/2009 10:26 AM
synergyman
synergyman  

That is exactly the problem my husband had! Like I said before, we cleaned the area around the site with betadine liquid and sterile gauze, let it dry, and used the medical tape that is easy to remove to hold the line in place. Then covered the dried area with 4x4 sterile gauze and again used the med tape that was easy to remove. He did this for a 2-3 weeks but then it was time to take his picc line out.

I wish her well

Suzie

01/18/2009 10:45 AM
hardball
hardball  

Hi Betsy

I had my PICC line put in place the day before Thanksgiving. For the first week, it would weep a clear to slightly yellowish fluid. My home care nurse came and changed it almost daily. Each day he would look at the color, look for swelling and smell for odor. Although none of these complicating factors were present, after a week, they ordered it out! I had the line moved to my other arm where I thnkfully have had no problem. Remember that the line is placed in the vena cava which is a direct line to the heart. I would not play around with this but would have it looked at as soon as you are able. While the seeping in my case was not in the final analysis a danger, it was certainly a breeding ground for infection and that is a nightmare that you can live without.

Take care and keep us posted as to how she is doing

Susan

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved