MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/19/2011 05:51 AM

Starting Cefuroxime Today

RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

So I had an LLMD appt. yesterday & even after 5 months of pulsing Doxy/Bactrim DS, my MP levels were off the chart. My LLMD said it was time to pull the big guns out & start attacking it with Cefuroxime because it is known to cross the BBB.

I'm sitting here, just having eaten brown, rice cakes w/ almond butter, because it needs to be taken on a full stomach & I'm just staring at the RX bottle. Afraid to take that 1st. pill. The point of no return, I guess? LOL

I know this is going to cause a "MOTHER" of a herx for me. I have everything set up for my detoxing (I hope) Any suggestions while taking this RX? Anything that can help me get through this nightmare I'm about to experience?

For some reason, I don't think my family & I are going to have a great Thanksgiving this year because I know I'm not going to be cooking it, let alone eating it!!! Although, hopefully, I'll be on my way to recovery & for that, I am grateful!!!

11/19/2011 09:26 AM
Kramberry
KramberryPosts: 116

Is this ceftin? No other abx combined? What are you treating?

11/19/2011 09:50 AM
ontong
ontongPosts: 269

hi, Raven. Im on IV rocephin, which is cef. It does hammer me pretty good. I have been on it for 4 months. Obviously, we are all different so no teeling what you will experience. Some of my friends have immediately started feeling better, with no herx. Others are smashed by it. As soon as it hits my bloodstream, I start feeling crummy. Takes few hours for me to regain myself. I'm also on rifampin. There is no doubt that I feel more depressed while on Rocephin. I have taken a few breaks and my mood lifts within a day.

In addition to detox formulas that my LLMD gives me, I take 1000 mg of glutathione which is supposed to help with herxing. Does it? I don't know. Have you thought of easing onto the Cef slowly over the next few days? And maybe laying of for Tday? My LLMD does tell me to take breaks if I have something really critical going on. and even has me take breaks just to give my body a rest.

I hope it goes well for you and most of all maes a difference. Please feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions or just want to vent about it.

John

11/19/2011 12:37 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

Yes Ceftin is the same thing. Started it right after I posted. LLMD said make sure I take it on a full stomach.

I started herxing about 1/2 after I took it & have been in bed all day, since.

Migrane from hell, shaky, weak/heavy limbs, sick to my stomach.... you name it, it's happening!!! I can hardly use my hands & feet due to the pain, which is kinda crumby when you have to get to the bathroom. =0{

Don't worry or feel bad for me. In a way, I'm happy!!! Something is finally working... YEAH!!! I'd rather feel like crap & know the RX is working, than be wasting my time & money on something & not getting any results. It has to get worse before it gets better!!!

11/19/2011 04:52 PM
shorelinelyme
shorelinelymePosts: 1252

Raven,

I'm on this..just worked up to the full dosage this past week. Ceftin has a very quick 1/2 life... 1.2 hours- so it is in our systems quickly- but also out fairly quickly. (Although the herx from dying bacteria can be felt for hours/days...)

I haven't had as intense reactions to it- I think just because I was on minocycline for so long - which also has good bbb penetration.

So...it does get better- hang in there! I hope you enjoy your weekend- and feel well enough to enjoy Thanksgiving, too...

Hugs,

Jackie

11/19/2011 06:19 PM
deeskittykat
deeskittykat  

i took the cefuroxime for 2 months....then stopped...took vit D (presvription....and as soon as i stopped the abx my sore/weak wrists and ankles quit hurting. i herxed in the beginning, but overall was a good abx. Candida seems to be my only hurdle now.

11/19/2011 07:54 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

Dee - That's what my LLMD wants to do with me too, pulse for 2 months then Minocycline next. She doesn't want me on any ABX for longer than 2 months.

I'm herxing right now but I know it can be worse. I think because of all the ABXs before & all the detoxing I've done up until now it's not as bad as it should be.

Lots of epsom salt baths, bee's pollen & zyrtex is helping but I'm still not functioning. Oh well, one day at a time, I guess?

11/20/2011 12:43 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

raven, be sure to read this newest article on morgellon's...

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/general-support/1631114-morgellons-disease-a- possible-cure#3224901

please private message me your home email; i got/sent out 2 things tonight on morgellon's/biofilm if you'd like to be on this type of mailing ok. it went to 4-5 other folks w/morgellon's that i'm aware of.

hugs/prayers, BETTER THINGS ARE COMING; this is a slight detour on your newest herx to getting BETTER!! what precious words they are.

bettyg, leader

11/20/2011 07:19 AM
Sigita

Raven,

I have been on Ceftin too for the last 4 days. The first 2 days were pretty bad - I felt like going down with a bad flu: very tired, achy, low grade fever. Then it all got better. The brain fog is much better that what I had on Zithro.

The new problem is diarhea. I have read that Ceftin is more likely to cause intestinal problems and C-diff.

Yesterday I took only one dose of Ceftin and 4 pills of probiotics, 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Still this morning I had diarhea. Don't know what to do.

11/20/2011 08:45 AM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

So even if the herxing symptoms start to lesson, the ceftin is still working? Today isn't as bad as yesterday. Thank God!!! Again, I have been treating/detoxing for quite some time now. Maybe it's just jump starting some cyst form & brain bacteria? Who knows?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved