MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/13/2011 10:06 AM

Longer Periods than usual...lasting over 10 days

amberm1180
amberm1180  

Hi, does anyone else have this problem? I am still bleeding several days after my period was supposed to be "over" and I don't know if it's the 300 mg of Doxy I'm taking, or the Diflucan for yeast, or what! I was diagnosed with Lymes about a month ago. Does lymes affect your periods, in the fact that it can prolong the bleeding? Any info might help! Thanks!

11/14/2011 05:36 AM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

Amberm - Many thing can cause a woman to have the issues that you are having, including LD & Co. Here is a link that might help you.....

http://www.mdguidelines.com/menstrual-disorders

Menstrual disorders are irregularities or abnormalities of the menstrual cycle, including the absence of menstrual periods (amenorrhea), discomfort associated with the menstrual period (dysmenorrhea), excessive menstrual blood loss (menorrhagia), and abnormal bleeding (metrorrhagia).

Amenorrhea, or the absence of a menstrual period, may occur as a result of many conditions. Failure to start menstruating by the age of sixteen is called primary amenorrhea; it is associated with a delay of puberty and the absence of breast development and pubic hair by age 13.5 to 14 years. Secondary amenorrhea, the absence of periods for 3 consecutive months in a woman who previously had regular menstrual cycles, is more common.

Pregnancy, menopause, and anovulation (associated with dysfunction of hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis or discontinuing birth control medications) are the most common cause of amenorrhea in reproductive-age women. Although this temporary amenorrhea usually only lasts 6 to 8 weeks, it can persist for a year or more.

Other causes of secondary amenorrhea include hormonal imbalances; ovarian disorders; polycystic ovarian disease; endocrine disorders (e.g., diabetes, thyroid abnormality, and Cushing's syndrome); genetic abnormalities; excessive exercise; emotional stress; depression; obesity; excessive or rapid weight loss; reduced caloric intake, including self-starvation (anorexia nervosa); systemic diseases (e.g., syphilis, tuberculosis, nephritis); or drugs, including chemotherapeutic agents.

Dysmenorrhea refers to crampy abdominal and/or pelvic pain (pelvic pathology) not associated with typical discomfort that may occur just before or during a menstrual period. Although the exact cause is uncertain, dysmenorrhea has been associated with the hormone prostaglandin, which is released during the menstrual period.

Abdominal and pelvic pain can also be caused by underlying conditions such as an ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage, ovarian cysts, an intrauterine device (IUD) used for contraception, growth of endometrial tissue outside the uterus (endometriosis), postoperative adhesions, bacterial infection of the uterus and fallopian tubes (pelvic inflammatory disease), fibroid tumors in the uterus (uterine leiomyoma), an obstructed cervix, or congenital malformation.

Menorrhagia is the excessive loss of blood during a menstrual period (blood loss greater than 80 mL) and may be due to a period lasting more than 7 days. It is usually due to an imbalance between the hormones estrogen and progesterone, but can also be caused by any disorder that affects the uterus, including fibroid tumors, polyps, an intrauterine device (IUD) used for contraception, or a pelvic infection.

Sometimes no physical cause can be found. Menorrhagia can be a regular occurrence or may occur only once.

Metrorrhagia is uterine bleeding outside of the normal menstrual cycle. The bleeding is irregular in pattern and in the amount of blood lost. It may result from hormonal imbalances, stress, miscarriage, gynecologic disorders, or cancer (uterine, ovarian, or cervical).

Risk: Excessive exercise, obesity, hormone imbalances, and chronic stress or depression can increase risk for secondary amenorrhea. Smoking, longer and heavier periods, and family history (genetic factors) are risk factors for dysmenorrhea. Those most at risk for menorrhagia include women with bleeding disorders and endocrine disorders.

Incidence and Prevalence: Secondary amenorrhea affects about 5% to 7% of menstruating women annually (Popat). Prevalence does not vary among racial groups and corresponds to the prevalence of causative diseases. Primary dysmenorrhea, or menstrual cramps and discomfort in the absence of pelvic disease, may affect as many as 50% of menstruating women and usually manifests within the first few years following the onset of menstruation (Calis).

Secondary dysmenorrhea, or menstrual discomfort caused by underlying disease or pathology, is found in 5% to 7% of menstruating women (Popat) and is most frequently encountered in women between ages 30 and 45 (Calis).

Ten to twenty percent of all menstruating women experience menorrhagia; most are older than age 30 (Shaw).

Post edited by: RavenLunatic, at: 11/14/2011 05:41 AM

Post edited by: RavenLunatic, at: 11/14/2011 05:59 AM

11/14/2011 05:51 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

Blessings all-

Raven, that's a great article, good find!

I had an IUD for years and bled for months at a time..it was horrible. They gave me the copper IUD which was supposed to be safer at the time, this was in the 90's..

Last year when I found out I had heavy metal poisoning and sensitivities, it all made sense..my body was continuously rejecting it.

Ladies, please be aware of what you put into your body, it can cause so many imbalances in so many ways..

Amberm-Lyme and yeast both affect your menstruation..treating for both will help regualte them eventually.

Acupuncture helped regulate mine.

peace-kim

11/14/2011 06:53 AM
jomomma

I wish I would have know that I had Lyme, I maybe I could have done things differently. I started to bleed longer & then in between my periods when I was 20. (I got married right after I turned 19, yesterday was our 18th wedding anniversary)

They took me off the birth control pill I was on & I was to use another form of birth control, well I got pregnant shortly after, which is what i wanted anyway but we were not planning on it.

After I had our son I tried to go back on the pill it made me sick... so we were just careful for the 2 weeks & tried some other things.

It took over 5 years before we got pregnant again, not planned but we figured it would happen if it was going to .

I had my tubes tied, (wish I didn't) after that my periods got longer & longer & more painful so I ended up having an ablation done ( a d&c where they burn the uterine lining so that scaring will occur so that you no longer have a period or it isn't as bad.

I still get pains like i am getting my period but I believe it is Lyme related...

I hope you get it figured out and it gets under control for you, but I would have to yes Lyme at least played a part in this.

11/21/2011 09:56 PM
beeniebaby12

Is it safe for us women to get the Depo shot? Because I am noticing longer than usual periods too

11/21/2011 10:55 PM
equestrian06

I would never, ever get the Depo shot. I have known FAR too many women with horror stories. And all the women in my family that have tried it? Had psycho hormonal/emotional upheavals on them for MONTHS, not just a single dose.

11/22/2011 07:39 AM
beeniebaby12

Well I have had it in the past before I got sick, I was fine. But I wonder about the safety of it now?

11/22/2011 12:10 PM
mem6583

Have you been checked for an ovarian cyst or tumor? That can cause longer periods or more frequent periods as well.

11/22/2011 12:13 PM
beeniebaby12

no iren, I have not. Good point though, I'm going to make an appointment with my OB to get checked out. ThanksSmile

11/22/2011 12:47 PM
Jensen16

my kid is having trouble with irregular ones, but there were problems before lyme, so not sure if it is a side effect from lyme or something previous. recent ultrasound up for abd pain was negative for cysts and twisted tubes. next gyn appt in jan. about a year before she got sick, was seeing a ped endocrine, I thought she had PCOS, but the tests were negative.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved