MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/07/2011 11:27 AM

Need help with regarding corisol question

Holly123
Holly123  

Pls. will you tell me a way I can control my cortisol.. I am very tired during the day and awake at night.. I am just guessing this is a hormone thing caused by the lyme.. also have alot of hair loss..

Thanks so much for anyone who can help..

Holly

11/07/2011 11:43 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

Hi Holly, I found this link for you, I hope it helps. Addressing the adrenals would be your first step..

http://www.integrativepsychiatry.net/adrenal_fatigue.html

Supplements for adrenal fatigue play an important role in nourishing and strengthening your adrenal gland.

The will allow the adrenal gland to be restored to a more healthy level of functioning which could not occur without them.

It can consist of herbs, vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids.

We have listed the adrenal supplements individually but we carry many excellent adrenal supplements with most of the ingredients combined in on capsule.

Please visit our Adrenal Supplements section for information on the many professional grade adrenal supplements we carry.

**Because of the similarities in low and high cortisol symptoms it is highly advisable to obtain a saliva cortisol test before beginning any treatment plan.

If you are suffering from excessive amounts of cortisol and take adrenal cortical extracts or other supplements to raise an already elevated cortisol level your symptoms will become worse.

Adrenal glandulars, or Adrenal Cortical Extracts

This is desiccated adrenal gland. It is extremely important in the initial phases of adrenal repair since it provides raw materials to support adrenal function. It also contains some important adrenal hormones.

B-Complex

Contains Vitamin B6, niacin and other B vitamins needed as co-factors in enzymatic pathways and to restore proper adrenal functioning.

Cortisol replacement

Isocort is designed to provide adrenal support for those who have adrenal fatigue or reduced cortisol levels.

Isocort provides relief from reduced cortisol production which can result in many symptoms including, fatigue, and difficulty getting up in the morning, food cravings, allergies, anxiety, and lack of energy.

Isocort provides a standardized dose of the adreno-cortical substance (Cortisol) to supplement adrenal function .

Cordyceps:

This is a Chinese mushroom used for supporting the adrenal gland. The typical dose is one to two tablets three times daily.

DHEA

Aging and diseases associated with aging can cause a decline in critical hormones produced by the adrenal glands.

Pregnenolone is converted into crucial antiaging hormones such as dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.

DHEA supplementation may help to partly rectify hormone imbalances caused by age-induced adrenal insufficiency.

7-Keto DHEA: This form does not convert to sex hormones but will still give support to adrenal functions. It also is thermogenic aiding in fat burning.

Essential fatty acids: The reason they are called essential is that our body needs them for good health but cannot manufacture them. They aid in the healing process, increase energy, and are anti inflammatory.

L-Theanine

L-theanine is an amino acid found in green tea that produces a calming effect in the brain.

It works by increasing gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) that is a relaxer and creates a sense of well-being.

L-theanine may be taken to help modulate mood and relieve stress in many health conditions (Abe et al. 1995; Kobayashi et al. 1998; Juneja et al. 1999).

Licorice

Licorice (Glycyrrhiza) works by blocking the breakdown of hydrocortisone in the liver. the hydrocortisone level then becomes higher, and this slows down the production of ACTH (adrenocorticotrophic hormone) from the pituitary gland, giving the adrenals a much-needed rest.

Licorice is a highly prized medicinal in Chinese medicine. Glycyrrhiza may be taken in a variety of ways, including as a tea. Licorice can the be tapered off when adrenal gland function is restored.

Magnesium (Citrate)

Important for cellular energy (ATP) production. It is essential for enzyme production in the adrenal cascade.

Pantothenic Acid

Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) activates the adrenal glands.

It is a precursor of acetyl CoA (a part of the Krebs's cycle which produces cellular energy) and acetylcholine (a primary neurotransmitter).

Pantothenic acid deficiency results in adrenal insufficiency, which is characterized by fatigue, headache, sleep disturbances, nausea, and abdominal discomfort (Tarasov et al. 1985; Smith et al. 1996; Murray et al. 1997).

Pregnenolone

Pregnenolone is a precursor to many of the hormones produced by the adrenal glands. It is a raw material that supports basic adrenal function.

Pregnenolone is best taken towards the evening but may be taken earlier if it interferes with sleep. The usual dose is 25 mg.

Rhodiola rosea

A natural herb that has been found to decrease the effects of stress and fatigue on mental performance. These effects have been attributed to the ability of Rhodiola to influcence the levels and activity of monoamine neurotransmitters.

Siberian Ginseng

Supports and rejuvenates adrenal functioning, regulates neurotransmitters, normalizes metabolism. It counteracts mental fatigue, increases energy and endurance.

Trace Minerals (zinc, manganese, selenium, chromium, molybdenum, copper, iodine)

Vitamin C

Helps support adrenal functions and is best taken with bioflavanoids to be fully utilized by the body. Vitamin C is essential for the production of adrenal steroid hormones, increases overall adrenal function and stimulates the immune system.

Vitamin E with mixed tocopherols 400 IU daily

Adrenal supplements for excessive cortisol

DHEA

DHEA may help to protect against the overproduction of cortisol from the adrenal glands and enhance the immune system.

This is an important factor since too much cortisol accelerates aging and causes immune system disorders. Studies show that DHEA deficiency may actually debilitate immune status (Wisniewski 1993; Morio et al. 1996).

Vitamin C

Studies show that vitamin C and aspirin can attenuate and influence cortisol, inducing an anti-inflammatory response to prolonged exercise and stress.

Vitamin C has been shown to reduce the elevation of cortisol in response to heavy exercise. In human studies, 3000 mg of vitamin C daily counteracted a rise in blood pressure, cortisol, and subjective response to acute psychological stress ( Di Luigi et al. 2001; Peters et al. 2001a, 2001b; Brody et al. 2002).

Phosphatidylserine (PS)

Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid that is a structural component of the biological membranes in animals and plants.

In studies, supplemental PS has been shown to improve mood and blunt the release of cortisol in response to physical stress (Monteleone et al. 1990; Kelly 1999; Benton et al. 2001). A popular brand with healthcare practitioners is Seriphos which is a phosphorylated serine and is more readily absorbable.

Melatonin

Melatonin is secreted by the pineal gland and functions to regulate circadian rhythm and induce sleep. Melatonin circadian secretion in patients with pituitary- or adrenal-dependent Cushing's syndrome was shown to be significantly lower compared to healthy control groups.

Studies also have shown that nightly administration of 2 mg of melatonin increased the DHEA-S-cortisol ratio after 6 months of treatment (Soszynski et al. 1989; Bruls et al. 2000; Pawlikowski et al. 2002).

Find out more about the Adrenal Stress Test that is available!

Lifestyle changes such as:

Reduce Stress. Family, job, financial, and marital stress are factors that must be reduced or eliminated when possible. Sometimes seeing a mental health counselor to develop coping skills to deal with life's stressors can be helpful.

Eat steadily, all day long. Skipping meals is one of the worst things you can do for your body. When you're hungry, your blood sugar drops, stressing your adrenal glands and triggering your sympathetic nervous system. That causes light-headedness, cravings, anxiety and fatigue.

Skipping breakfast is particularly bad, as it is a sure fire way to gain, not lose, weight.

If you start each morning with a good breakfast and "graze" healthfully every two to four hours, your blood sugar won't take any sharp dips. You'll feel more rested and energetic.

Another drawback to skipping meals: The resulting low blood sugar can slow the speed at which you process

Exercise to relax. Walking, YOGA, deep breathing, and stretching are great stress reducers. Vigorous or aerobic exercise can deplete the adrenals. If your symptoms are severe wait until you feel a little stronger to do these.

Get 8 hours sleep or more. During sleep your adrenal glands are restored and repaired. Unfortunately, most of us place little value on sleep, and end up getting less than we need, night after night. Result: Your adrenal glands stay depleted.

Foods to Avoid in Adrenal Fatigue

Eat protein with every meal. Eat Complex carbohydrates such as brown rice. Avoid sugar, junk food, white pasta, white rice, white bread.

Alcoholic beverages in excess reduce the functioning of the immune and energy production systems

Artificial sweeteners (Stevia is okay)

Foods high in potassium make adrenal fatigue worse (bananas, all melons, dried figs, raisins, dates, oranges, grapefruit, etc.)

Chemicals, additives and preservatives such as sodium nitrate, MSG

Oysters, clams, lobster, deep-sea fish such as tuna, mackerel, and swordfish that may contain toxic levels of mercury.

Absolutely NO Caffeine

Coffee/Sodas over stimulates your adrenals. They deplete important B vitamins and alter your pH levels. Coffee does not give you energy; coffee gives you the illusion of energy. Coffee actually drains the body of energy and makes you more tired, because of vitamin and adrenal depletion.

Sweetened fruit juices

The following have been shown to relieve Adrenal Fatigue symptoms:

Sleeping until 9 a.m. as often as possible

Laughing

Exercising

Minimizing stress

Taking negative people out of your life

Eating regular meals

Chewing well

Doing something fun each day

Combining unrefined carbohydrates with protein and oils

Avoiding junk food, white potatoes, white bread, white flour, white rice, and refined sugar

Eating five to six servings of vegetables each day

Taking calcium and magnesium supplements

Adding sea salt to your diet (May add ½ tsp sea salt to 8 oz water in the morning)

peace-kim

Post edited by: fabajenna, at: 11/07/2011 11:50 AM

11/07/2011 12:14 PM
Ramilin
Ramilin  

I found mine was directly related to gluten. Take the gluten away and my tiredness went away with it. I noticed a difference in 1 week, but by month 4 felt like a new person.

11/07/2011 02:19 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

Holly,

How do you know your cortisol levels are low? Have you had them checked? I agree with you regarding your symptoms but do you know for sure this is what's causing them?

When a person has low cortisol levels some type of endocrine issue is causing this to happen, usually pituitary. Some many factors come into play, that us just can not focus on the cortisol.

If your cortisol is depleted, it could be a secondary issue pertaining to another primary, endocrine disorder or even possibly a tumor. If you do not know the true cause of the depletion, by raising the cortisol levels, you may/can be doing more damage than help.

My a.m. cortisol level was off the chart, below normal. The last thing my LLMD wanted to do was start trying to raise it & not now what was causing it. If you take care of the root cause, sometimes it will aleeve the 2nd. (cortisol) cause.

What has your LLMD said about all this?

11/07/2011 11:28 PM
Holly123
Holly123  

Hey Fabajena, Ramillin, and Ravenlunatic, great feedback I do appreciate it.. I have to say it has been one of the toughest times going through hair loss alone then after my hair started to fall out some other tough stuff going on in my life that is not fun at all ..

Ramillin, yes I do mostly avoid gluten.. Maybe I cheat every 3 months or so but I try to be strict about that thanks..

Anyway guys you have helped me so much I am going to write to you tommorow.. Fabajenna I love the info you gave me.. and Ravenlunatic.. you have a good point about getting further testing.. When my funds allow I can do that.. so far I feel based on my symptoms I have the adrenal fatigue and cortisol problems.. Hopefully no tumors I do have some sort of cyst near my spine though ... I showed my doctor he wasn't too concerned at the time.. I also have some sort of rash on my elbows yuck..

I am not against testing at all just concerned of the acurracy ofcourse of tests.. especially since I am already on so many supplements and herbals that could sway any test..

I am self treating and also using regular doctors too.. I know I probably need an endocrinologist .. I did get a script for Nature throid recently b/c I do feel I am Hypothryroid too.. I showed up on a test years ago as slighly borderline hypo.. and now I feel very hypo and also Fabejanna there is definitely adrenal fatigue too b/c I feel the throbbing of my adrenals at times... Plus I have many of the symptoms on the list of info you sent..

I have been taking Adrenal Support by Gia.. Fabajenna you said if I take the adrenal support with low cortisol it could be a problem right? Or is that I should not take them with High cortisol.. ???

I have also been taking some sea salt started again today and let me know if you think drinking sea salt will cause more hair loss pls..

Hugs,

holly

11/08/2011 12:23 AM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

Holly - Everything you are stating makes me think you have a major endocrine disorder.

The hair loss is caused by your thyroid not functioning. You can take atomic iodine for that. It will help with some of your symptoms but it will not address the real problem. Hopefully it will help keep your hair from falling out any further.

The daytime sleeping, you're right, that is your adrenal glands. I wouldn't mess with that so much right now, until you know more.

If you're not eating gluten, the rash on your elbows is most likely eczema. Try getting an over the counter cream & see if that helps until you get in & get DX.

Sea Salt will raise your HCI levels helping your endocrine system. It will not cause your hair to fall out. Since you have Hypothyroid issues I would use the Himalayan Sea Salt since it has natural iodine in it.

11/08/2011 10:48 PM
Holly123
Holly123  

HI RavenLunatic, It so cool you mention Atomic Iodine I actually have Atomodine I wander if that is the same thing?

.. I wasn't sure if it was good to take too often b/c I thought it might have some sort of chlorine in it? The ingredient is Iodine Trichloride are you familiar with Atomodine do you think it is ok to take? Maybe that is the same thing you mentioned.. Umm..As you can tell my brain is a bit foggy..

I was curious what are HCI levels? The Himalyan sea salt does help with energy..

Fabajenna and Ravenluntic and anyone else who wants to help:

Another symptom I have is itchy scalp but also when I scratch my neck or ear or when I pull my bra down and twist it around my back to unhook it I get goosebumps in my head and my hair follicles shrink again.. I wander if it is also a low testosterone issue or is this DHT maybe or some sort of nerve problem.. I thought I would mention that b/c it is such an odd symptom..

If anyone knows what this symptom is all about pls. let me know..

Love ya Lymies

11/08/2011 11:11 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

Holly, the itchy scalp is endocrine related but is most likely due to candida. Many people with endocrine issue have candida. It's almost a given with the two.

The goosebumps are also endocrine related. Something to do with body temp regulation. Not sure about which hormone is involved.

The Atomic/Atomodine Iodine I use is called "Magnascent". I'm not going to say you can't OD on it. You don't want to be taking 1/2 a bottle a day. LOL

2-3 drops a couple times a day is fine. What your body doesn't use, it will flush out. I would take that over any synthetic hormone any day. Along with the Himalayan Sea Salt. They're natural & your body absorbs/flushes them on a natural basis.

11/08/2011 11:40 PM
Holly123
Holly123  

Ravenlunatic, wow thanks so much.. I actually had also been taking Potasium Iodide pills and just read that those are not so good for me..I read that on a website that was selling the Atomic Iodine..

I have been looking up Atomic Iodine as you suggested.. Do you know a decent brand that is a good price? Also does that type of iodine stain teeth.. b/c with the Apple cider vinegar and taking the lugols.. not sure which one did it but I have managed to get a stain on one of my teeth..

I was about 25mg low on my Iodine loading test so I will take your suggestions on dosing.. thanks very much..

Yes your right the itchy scalp did remind me of a fungal issue.. it is also aggrivated by the wrong foods eg: sugar, dairy and this great soy based gluten free terriaki sauce I love.. Basically anything that tastes remotely good LOL!

Oddly enough when I eat beets it helps relieve the itch if I eat beets twice a day..

Hope your doing well tonight!

Thanks!

Holly

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved