MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/24/2011 08:59 AM

Can one take too much Milk Thistle

PosionIvy
PosionIvy  

Please don't answer with, "Everything in moderation" and things like thatSmile

I have excruciating spleen pain, have been to 7 different docs and they see nothing abnormal.

However, ibuprofen/Tylenol doesn't touch the pain, nothing works....except Milk Thistle.

I take 5-8 (525 mg) tabs daily, and I can breathe and not lay around in agony. It's wonderful!

Has anyone else had this? I'm currently using P73 Oreganol and garlic, nothing else. I'm sure it's a toxin-thing.

Please share any experiences, feeling pretty alone in this.

Thank-you so muchSmile

Ivy

Post edited by: PosionIvy, at: 10/24/2011 09:01 AM

10/24/2011 09:11 AM
lymeinmich

I have not found anything to support the possibility of too much milk thistle.

It helps me too.

10/24/2011 09:22 AM
PosionIvy
PosionIvy  

Wonderful! It gets scary when you depend so heavily on somethin (and can't cope without it)!! Thank-you, T!!

How are you, Dear? Been thinking of you!

Ivy

10/24/2011 09:28 AM
lymeinmich

Found this on a drug site:

There are not many milk thistle side effects.

All the side effects of milk thistle basically boil down to taking too much.

Over consumption is one of the main reasons why people experience side effects with health supplements.

Because milk thistle is a natural herb, there aren't any health risks you need to worry about. If you follow the milk thistle dosage that is recommended, you should be fine.

There are much more milk thistle benefits than side effects.

However, if you do consume too much, you might experience:

Nausea

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Headaches

Again, these side effects are rare and avoidable. Follow the instructions on the label.

In many of the scientific studies on milk thistle, humans experienced very few side effects.

When very large dosages were taken, some people experienced a laxative effect from the herb.

10/24/2011 10:40 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

I want to add here that some people just can't tolerate it...me being one of them.

I took the recommended dosage, and it made me nauseous and my kidneys hurt.

My doc told me to stop taking it.

Everyone is different..Ivy, I'm so glad it helps you!

You'd think that if I can take dandelion and artichoke...I could never figure it out.

peace-kim

10/24/2011 10:47 AM
Weasy
Weasy  
VIP Member

PoisonIvy

I don't know about the Milk Thistle but I actually just read in one of my books that enlargement of the spleen is a symptom of Lyme Disease

I hope this is of some help to you in some way!

10/24/2011 11:56 AM
neska

milk thistle is support for the liver. i asked my LLMD if i could take the milk thistle and he says i am not taking any medicine that will affect the liver......so he knew what the milk thistle was for....

i do eat raw garlic.....cleans out the old pipes!

i do take P73 from time to time. it is very potent. it will kill and i am sure you are experiencing bacteria die-off, a herx.

10/24/2011 12:44 PM
PosionIvy
PosionIvy  

They have checked for spleen enlargement and everything looks fine. I've had some strange renal issues, and had a stent put in last month. My cardiologist ignores me when I mention Lyme (as do all doc's here in Chi-town).

This can be so very isolating at times.

Kim, that kidney pain is duly-noted, I thought my k pain was from my surgery...maybe it was my MThistle.

All I know is that when that spleen pain hits, the pain takes over and I can't even think straight. With that level of pain one would stop at NOTHING to relieve it. Turns you into a fiendWink

Thank-u all so very much!

Ivy

10/24/2011 05:21 PM
neska

oh boy poisonivy....are you too far away from a LLMD?....even if it is a 3 hour drive; you really should make it.

i have someone drive me two hours for mine.

for me, the appts well the first one was a month away because i had two test done and the others are two months apart.

if you can a LLMD, i am sure he will able to help you.

i know from my tests that i have had in the past, everything was normal. no one thought to give me a celiac disease test or a mono test due to my weight issue and my tiredness.

i do pray that you will be able to find someone who will help you. i know how hard that is when all else fails.

there are members here who also do homeopathic remedies who may be able to help you get on track with their experiences.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved