MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/23/2011 08:47 AM

Sexual transmission/kissing and remission

dena2

I'm consummed with worry over sexual transmission of LD. I'm currently being treated for lyme @ 8 weeks after being biten by a tick, along with Babs and Bart. Unfortunately too late as it's apparent it went past the BBB. I'm making good, but slow progress. My biggest most pressing worry at this point is whether or not I'll ever have a normal sex life again. Is there anyone out there who feels it's safe to have unprotected sex while in TRUE remission? I'm also concerned about kissing. Must I live the rest of my life without every again experiencing the passion of an open mouth kiss???

10/23/2011 08:58 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

*sigh* I'm there too....

Most agree that it's better to be safe than sorry...AND that it isn't as easily transmitted this way as blood born...HOWEVER, Sad Sadly I think the consensus is that while infected it just isn't worth the possibility of transmitting to someone else...

Oh and what if someone plants an open mouth kiss on you without any warning?? Who's to blame then..geez..guilt and stuff anyway...

In TRUE remission *shrug* I have no idea...what the possibility is in that case...

10/23/2011 09:13 AM
dena2

Ugh, kissing too???

I'm in such turmoil over this. I met the love of my life and now facing the real possibility of letting him go so he can experience a normal sex life with out being at risk.

Devastated.

10/23/2011 09:13 AM
fabajenna
fabajenna  

Hi dena welcome to the group!Smile

While it is better to be safe than sorry, if you are in remission and your partner has a strong immune system, then the likelyhood of transmitting something that isn't producing any symptoms are small. You both need to have a strong immune system for no transmission.

Remission would be two-three months symptom free after stopping treatment. I prefer to lean towards the longer end with no symptoms in regards to remission.

You have been recently diagnosed, so in your case and with all active cases, it is a concern.

When there are other factors involved with having lyme, such as yeast, it is highly transferable. You need to abstain or you will infect your partner. If not, then you are battling with a back and forth situation.

You will have a normal love life again, it just takes time to build back up the immunity.

Blessings to you in your journey..please use this site for information and support with whatever you need.

peace-kim

10/23/2011 09:28 AM
waxby
waxbyPosts: 4811
VIP Member

~~~Hello dena,

~~~I hope you understand that you must treat Lyme Complex at least two months past NO symptoms, and especially extremely important now that you caught this hopefully early before it deseminates more deeply and out of reach and control and then you will become a long term member of our forum.

~~~If your present Dr does not intend and refuses to treat you accordding to the ILADS GUIDELINES, you should begin finding a proper LLDr before it gets too late and your questions will go way beyond sexual transmission.

``` ~~~from my straight jacket~~~out on a limb~~~lookin like a cocoon~~~hangin by a thread~~~waitin for a butterfly~~~under the moon~~~Lovey Dovey~~~Mitchell ```

10/23/2011 09:42 AM
dena2

Thanks to both fabajenna and waxby, very very helpful! I'm currently with a very good LLMD and treating aggressively with abx and cowden. Also, NO sugar or carbs and on a high quaility probiotic. Plan to be on some form of treatment for about a year, hope to do HBOT and Salt/Vit C as well. I totally agree...must be completely symptom free for several months before likely in remission.

I waffle between being totally devasted mentally by this to having some glimmer of hope.

Much appreciate your responses.

10/23/2011 09:49 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

dena2 *HUGS*

10/23/2011 12:08 PM
Weasy
Weasy  
VIP Member

Dena, welcome to the group!

Yeah, I can totally relate. My sex life = non existent. Lyme just seems to know how to hit you from every angle.

Can't talk to any girls or even flirt because I see it as pointless. That is even if I have the energy to leave the house =

All I can say is I know it's not forever

10/23/2011 12:34 PM
dena2

Hi Weasy, when you say it's not forever...do you mean you have hope you'll get your's under control and resume somewhat of a normal love life at some point? Have you done this before? There are many out there who don't seem to make the distinction between now and forever when it comes to transmission. I'm not sure if it's because they've given up and resigned to a life without passion and sex or if it's truly doom and gloom for us all.

10/23/2011 12:48 PM
mem2062

dena2, I can tell you by own experience that lyme can easily be transfered sexually. This is the way I got infected and because of this it took a long time to figure out what I had been infected with. It took six months before I started my lyme treatment. I hate this disease so much.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved