MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/13/2011 02:34 PM

Zithromax and Ceftin Combo?

beeniebaby12

I begin these two antibiotics in soon. I will be on Zithromax for about a

week and then on Ceftin. I will be on this combo by next week. anyone have

any experiences with these two medications. Thanks in advance!

10/13/2011 05:06 PM
Kramberry
KramberryPosts: 116

Why did your llmd space both abx every other week?

This is my 1st combo when i started treatment.

10/13/2011 05:11 PM
beeniebaby12

@ Kram, She wants me to begin with Zithromax first for a week and still take in conjunction with the Ceftin. But I don't know her motive behind the method she is using. How is this combo treating you?

10/13/2011 06:29 PM
Kramberry
KramberryPosts: 116

Did you test positive for lyme? What coinfections do you have?

Those meds treat lyme only, i still dont notice any improvement in my condition taking this meds.

Im starting to wonder if they are working.

You should be on probiotics while abx. Btw whos treating you

10/14/2011 12:08 PM
beeniebaby12

I am starting Zithromax tomorrow. What should I expect? Will I herx right away? How long will I herx? If I don't herx, does that mean it is not working? Sorry for all the questions. Smile

10/14/2011 12:46 PM
mem6583

I am on zithromax and Cefdenir, which is similar but not the same as Ceftin.

The reason for the combination is as follows (from what I understand, and paraphrasing Dr. Burrascano's March 2011 presentation to CALDA):

Lyme spirochete has 3 forms:

-basic spirochete form that has a cell wall

- spirochete from that does not have a cell wall

- cyst form

Most standard antibiotics kill bacteria by destroying the cell wall. Lyme has a form that can survive without a cell wall.

Can't remember which, but one of the antibiotics prescribed kills bacteria with cell wall intact, one kills bacteria that do not have a cell wall.

At some point in your treatment, your LLMD will prescribe a cyst-buster also.

Normally LLMD's will prescribe a combination of abx to attack the different forms of the bacteria. This may be in combination with other meds, herbs, and/or homeopathics to treat co-infections also.

Lyme bacteria has also evolved to morph easily as one of it's defenses (for more info on this, search on Tom Grier Lyme on the Brain on this forum -- 5 part series. Very good info)

In addition, Lyme bacteria (Borrelia burgdorferi or Bb) has a cycle of dormancy/activity of about 4 weeks. The antibiotics are more effective while the bacteria is active.

So this is why we tend to herx in 4 week cycles - as the bacteria awakens and becomes active, the antibiotics can kill off more of the bacteria (and we have to detox more).

Hope that makes things more clear.

Post edited by: irenwill, at: 10/14/2011 12:48 PM

10/14/2011 12:54 PM
beeniebaby12

@irenwill- thanks, this helped me understand more and I'm going to check out the 5 part series

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved