MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/25/2011 03:33 PM

what are co-infection that I should be tested for

drgmba

Have dr appt with reg dr (still waiting on llmd appointment). I'm bringing the lab slip for Medical Diagnostic Labs (MDlabs) so she can order additional test (hopefully). Definitely going to fight for it. Just looks like a lot of options between mycoplasm, bart, babes, etc.

With mycoplasma do you have to order all the separate test or are they location specific? I'm in New Jersey so I actually go there to give blood and get the test run.

Seems like each one has Elisa and PCR test -- should I just do PCR? Any difference in sensitivity?? Any additional info on exact organisms to test for and/or specific test would be great.

08/25/2011 03:49 PM
rowergirl2010

I'm an Advocate

Do not give blood with Lyme or confections they can be passed on! The confections tests really depends on your symptoms. They are expensive so many LLMDs only order those after analyzing your symptoms and history.

My LLMD tested me for bartonella which I have. It is a process really to find things that remain without testing the individual needlessly.

The first time I got tested for things from the LLMD I gave almost a pint. There were like 15 vials of blood. The nurse said she had never done so many draws.

08/25/2011 04:08 PM
drgmba

Sorry for any confusion -- I just meant give blood for testing (not donating) -- but thanks for that info as well b/c I do donate on occasion. I'm local to MD labs so I get to go right there. They have a lot of test and I'm just trying to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before my appointment this sat. I'm seeing my regular doctor b/c my llmd appointment isn't until mid-Oct. I'm bringing the lab test slip with me and figured I could tell her what I want lol Smile

08/25/2011 04:40 PM
rowergirl2010

I'm an Advocate

Ok. Fry labs do a lot of coinfection testing. They did my bartonella testing for over 300 dollars. Igenex also does a lot of coinfection and Lyme testing.

I have never heard of MD labs before. The fact that they advertise themselves as an infectious disease lab raises red flags me. I also looked at their resources, they do not list tick bourne diseases among the other diseases they commonly test for.

They maybe a great lab not sure, but without more research about them I still have questions as to their side of the Lyme and co debate.

Post edited by: rowergirl2010, at: 08/25/2011 04:53 PM

08/25/2011 05:00 PM
rowergirl2010

I'm an Advocate

Researched more... IDSA is as much against them as Igenex and Fry. Never knew another Lyme lab was so close.

08/25/2011 05:04 PM
drgmba

Actual found them on this board as a lymes friendly lab. Once I looked them up found that they were actually 20 minutes from me. Another benefit is they are covered by my insurance so I don't have to pay out of pocket.

I called them to see exactly what their WB test for and got the list of all the bands -- they do all of them (not like labcorp/quest). They also report the findings by their standards as well as CDC standards. Does anyone else have a good or bad experience they can share with regards to this lab??

I will check to see if Fry lab is covered by my health plan -- thanks again!!

08/25/2011 05:22 PM
rowergirl2010

I'm an Advocate

I wish my health plan would cover such things!

08/25/2011 05:47 PM
RavenLunatic
RavenLunatic  
Group Leader

If you want your Reg. Dr. to do some testing before you go to your LLMD appt. I would

recommend having CBCs, all latent viruses HHV1-HHV8 (w/ PCRs to see if they're

active) all herpes viruses, HIV-1, Thyroid TSH w/ T3 - T4 reversals, Liver enzymes

(palates) and a complete CD scan (esp, CD-4/CD-8/CD-57) If you're female, I would

have a complete pap smear done also. Get copies of all the labs & take them w/ you to

the LLMD, this will save a lot of time & money. Your LLMD will be able to read

between the lines of these tests & know what you should be looking into having

privately tested.

08/25/2011 07:58 PM
drgmba

rowergirl2010 -- so I'm assuming b/c they are against them that means they are a good lymes lab Smile Let me know. They are also much cheaper b/c I asked for pricing b/c initially I hadn't checked my insurance and thought I might be paying OP. prices quoted by staff was WB $96, 6C peptide $42, realtime Bb PCR $78 -- haven't received bill yet b/c labs were just drawn -- due to get results in next day or two.

08/25/2011 08:01 PM
drgmba

ravenlunatic -- thanks for taking the time to post. Are these test that most llmds will order once I finally get in to see them? I just had full Cbc and need to check on what thyroid stuff was drawn. Due for yearly visit w/ OB so can get that too. Was HIV tested with last pregnancy and no reason to think thats changed Smile What is a CD scan?? Are most of these test covered by regular insurance and can be run through any lab??

THANKS

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved