MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/18/2011 01:31 PM

Newbie Question

dadoffour

My family and I are on vacation and my wife found a bulls eye rash on her arm. We are in South Carolina - and there are deer everywhere. She just noticed the rash a couple hours ago.

My question is this . . . should I go to see a local doctor or wait until we get home in 3 days and see our family doctor? Is the local doctor more likely to know about lyme that mine, and is there anything that they would do differently than mine?

Also - I read something about an ELISA lyme test - does anyone know how soon after a bite that test is effective.

08/18/2011 01:53 PM
lymeinmich

I think there is a good Lyme Dr. in San Diego. Betty has the list. The Elisa teat is not at all effective.

The lab that specializes in Lyme testing is in CA. The are called Igenex.

Not sure if the test would be effective this soon. A knowledgeable Dr would start treatment based on the rash.

Starting treatment now, the success rate is high if she is treated long enough. I believe it is at least 4 weeks. Anything less, and she would likely relapse and get sick down the road.

Betty can get you the list of Dr in CA, and in your home town that are knowledgeable with Lyme.

08/18/2011 01:55 PM
lymeinmich

Also, take a picture of the rash, just in case you need it later for treatment purposes.

08/18/2011 02:21 PM
dadoffour

Thank you! We will be back in Florida where we live on Monday. Do you have a list of Florida doctors?

Also, the rash is changing. Is that normal?

08/18/2011 02:45 PM
lymeinmich

Betty, she is one of the leaders, she send the lists to people.

My rash grew. The outer ring spread and spread. Mine lasted weeks. It faded over time.

I think you need to send Betty a private message. In the title put LLMD request for FL for an adult.

Find Betty in the tabs at the top under leaders.

Good Luck. She lucky she catching this early. Just stay on top of it, don't let an unexperienced Dr. tell you she only needs 2 wks of abx.

If at any time after she stops meds, she starts having symptoms, get right back in. If you don't let this go for months or years, you are so much better off.

08/18/2011 02:48 PM
lymeinmich

Dadoffour - FYI see the new post called "Treatment Question"

08/18/2011 03:26 PM
shellyadd

Knowing what I know now about Lyme, I would not wait until vacation was over.

08/18/2011 03:40 PM
Weasy
Weasy  
VIP Member

Definitely act now! Lymes Disease isn't something you can just shake off whenever.

08/18/2011 03:58 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

welcome dad Wink

check your private messages for FLORIDA LLMDS; i just sent you ok!

wow, boy am i glad you are PROACTIVE for your beloved wife!!

1st, take photos of the rash using a COIN OR $1 bill to show the size plus TODAY'S NEWSPAPER WITH THE DATE PROMINENT in it in case you need this later on ok!! take from different angles.

yes, it can change colors; i do NOT think you are over reacting; i'm just glad you are REACTING!

yes, GO TODAY TO DR. to have them give you at least 1 MONTH OF ANTIBIOTICS! you can get more after you are home with your primary dr ok.

i just sent you my welcome letter in a private message right side; but it's posted as a sticky pin at top of SUPPORT also where the LINKS ARE HYPERLINKED THERE; pms don't allow this Sad

print off the link below dr. burrascano's lyme treatment guidelines dealing with MEDS/DOSAGES FOR ADULTS/KDIS.

take that to the dr. with you when you go showing what you need!!

your wife needs to be on antibiotics for 3 MONTHS STRAIGHT!

2 months showing NO SYMPTOMS BEFORE DISCONTINUING OR SHE CAN END UP CHRONIC LYME like the rest of us.

the other thing is this, did that dog gone tick have OTHER diseases it is carrying too?

in my welcome letter print off under LYME FACTS, dr. corson's KIDS EVALUATIONS post; it's used for adults except meds/dosages are different.

it explains the entire body and which DISEASES affects those parts so you know what to look for on your wife's reactions in future ok!!

also, at this point, i suggest start a journal too of when she was bitten, where your noticed the rash, etc.

then show any NEW unusual things happening when they start, when they stop, etc. to see if there is a pattern.

most important thing is GO NOW TO DR. OR HOSPITAL TO GET ON ANTITIOBICS PROMPTLY.

elisa is normally WORTHLESS; very few show positive !!

you can also read thru dr. c's WESTERN BLOT EXPLANATION as it talks there how long it takes to make antibodies, etc.

no blood test or tick test is 100% accurate; no tests exist to date.

again, thank you for being vigilent getting on internet and getting help now!!

our best to you, wife, and your 4 kids Wink

if you need more info, you know where to come for education and SUPPORT Wink

hugs/prayers to you all.

bettyg, llmd coordinator, iowa group leader/activist

08/18/2011 03:59 PM
rowergirl2010

I'm an Advocate

Take pictures as it changes it will help prove your case. The rash frequently disappears after a few days or is gone by the time you can see the doctor.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved