MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/17/2011 02:51 AM

Insomnia

NJdrummer

For the first time in about three years, I can't sleep. It's 6 in the morning, and I'm paranoid and nauseous. Everything was going fine, and now it's like the disease and my stresses hit me at once. Any ideas?

It's so frustrating. I'm so tired of digressing. I wish I could seek extreme treatment but have no idea where to start.

My disgression phase usually doesn't last long, so here's to hoping...

08/17/2011 03:55 AM
shorelinelyme
shorelinelymePosts: 1252

I also had trouble sleeping at the beginning of my treatment. Melatonin really can help with sleep.

I take a sublingual melatonin supplement now- called Midnite and it really works well. Proper sleep is so crucial to healing from this illness.

Jackie

Post edited by: shorelinelyme, at: 08/17/2011 03:58 AM

08/17/2011 08:06 AM
TRL
TRL  

Me, too. The doctor prescribed ambien. My script is almost up though and I was thinking of switching to the melatonin.

When I am having a bad herx, I can't fall asleep because the pain in my limbs is intense, then when I do fall asleep, I too wake up anxious and can't go back to sleep.

Try to take naps whenever you can, even if you just lay there for an hour- rest is so important!

Good luck!

08/17/2011 10:07 AM
steelers

there is a natural herb called seriphos that will shut down the cotisol production from the adrenals at night so you can sleep. most people think the melatonin is the answer but your body wont produce it if the adrenals are stressed.

Steelers

08/17/2011 10:47 AM
waxby
waxbyPosts: 4829
VIP Member

~~~Hello NJd,

~~~Don't stress out about it. Until you solve this problem, perfect opportunity to meditate.

~~~from my straight jacket~~~out on a limb~~~lookin like a cocoon~~~hangin by a thread ~~~waitin for a butterfly~~~under the moon~~~Lovey-Dovey~~~Mitchell

08/17/2011 07:23 PM
purpleyogamat
purpleyogamat  
Group Leader

Hi,

Insomnia is a chronic symptom for me. I just don't sleep well at all. So understand your frustration. Mine gets worse with the pain, but stress will do it as well. Sometimes I have no idea why I can't sleep.

Not sleeping makes me crazy... I'm tired but can't sleep and it makes the days and nights so long.

Some ideas...

- Try a hot bath before bed. Put some lavender oil into the water. Sometimes if I can't sleep, I take a bath (even if it is 2am) and that helps.

- No TV or computer 1 hour before bed. Try to keep lights dim.

- Do some breathing exercises and mediation

- Try keeping a journal by your bed so you can write all your stresses or worries if they are keeping you up. Make a list then tell yourself you can think about them all again tomorrow, but for now they are written down for safe keeping so you can go to sleep (sounds weird but can work)

- Melatonin can help. I've tried melatonin and other herbal sleep aids and sleep medication... nothing helps my insomnia.

If all else fails and you are just stuck in this insomnia cycle and know it will be short lived - put on a movie or read a book. Rest, rest, rest. Nap during the day if you can.

Hope that helps.

-purple

Post edited by: purpleyogamat, at: 08/17/2011 07:24 PM

08/17/2011 07:51 PM
lymeinmich

I don't have a problem falling asleep.

I do have a problem staying asleep.

I usually wake up after about 4 or 5 hours max, and I never fall back into a deep sleep after that.

08/17/2011 09:16 PM
VicMac
VicMac  

Sad Drummer, bummer. I can so relate to the feeling of paranoia early in the AM like that.

I feel for you, having to go through that and have your sleep messed up. We need that rest.

I rarely ever get a decent night. I dont understand why so many feelings of dread and paranoia come up for me at night, but that has ALWAYS been my worse time with this disease.

I have mentioned this before, that at least in my case ( and I would suspect probably some others' here, ) that a seizure disorder is what is responsible for some of it.

I had this tested by EEG, and found out I have it, even though I have never actually had a seizure. The fact is though, that the test showed that my brain is firing off eradic signals and spiking abnormally when I try to sleep.

This never happened until I got Lyme. My doc explained that seizure activity will affect mood and emotions - especially at night when I am at rest and it seems to fire off more eradically at that time. It explains the strong tremors that happen at night too.

Because of this, I cannot take melatonin. It really does something weird to my brain firing.

Anyway, what does help me from being a whole lot worse, is taking CoQ10. If I stop it, I dont sleep at all. I take 200mgs. of it daily.

Calcium helps too, and Magnesium. Steelers, thanks for the info on that herb. Going to look into it.

08/17/2011 09:19 PM
NJdrummer

Thanks everyone. I wish I could nap, but I'm so busy during the day, which makes the day that much more exhausting.

I think I just psych myself out, which the meditation and herbs could stop. Don't know which herbs to buy first though. Aren't they expensive?

My eyelids being so heavy brings so much pressure to my head though. That makes my head and face twitch, which is another awful symptom.

I am currently keeping a journal, which is going well. Hopefully soon there will be all good posts.

Hope you all are doing well. Smile

08/17/2011 10:56 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

drummer, sending you soft hugs/prayers to overcome your paranoia, to relax, and sleep.

wonderful suggestions givento you above by the many members.

do you wake up gasping for air?| have you been tested for sleep apnea especially if you are a larger person with a thick neck like me? i think it was the same yr. of my correct dx for sleep apnea too, restless leg syndrome, and my test results showed i get NO DELTA 4 SLEEP where the body heals from injuries and you wake up feeling refreshed!

Kissing bettyg, iowa group leader...

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved