MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/01/2009 06:06 PM

has anyone had this symptom?

kelm42
kelm42  

so for the longest time ive had this incredibly odd symptom..like since i was in 8th grade its only happened maybe a total of 7/8 times...but now that my lyme has flared up, it seems to happen more often....well i try to fall asleep (when im hungry and anxious ususaly) and it feels like right as im about to fall asleep i jolt up feeling like i stopped breathing, and im all out of breathe...so then i try to fll asleep again, and it keeps happening...i will ususally get up and get something to eat and then try to go to sleep again and i have no problems...has anyone had anything similar to this?? no one knows what im talking about!
--- The discussion has been locked ---

01/01/2009 06:33 PM
thegreenone
thegreenone  

I might also get something similar to that, maybe I've had it about 10-15 times here and there. Mine is more like just the jolt right before I am about to go to sleep and it usually wakes me up and startles the hell out of me. I haven't had it for a while though. I don't have the out of breath thing. I think when I am really tired it can happen more often when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Occasionally, I also get this really weird feeling like I'm going to pass out right before I fall asleep. I can't really describe it too well. I think it happens right between consciousness and sleep. I force myself to wake up somehow, but it seems to take forever. I feel like I'm going to pass out but at the same time it feels like my head and neck are filled with lead. It feels like if I don't wake myself up when this happens I will pass out or something bad will happen. It's really the strangest thing. Probably not a Lyme issue, just a weird altered state of consciousness thing I guess.

01/02/2009 01:54 AM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm with thegreenone. I get the jolt. I get electrical shocks down my hips and even sometimes now down my shoulders and down my back as my on the verge of sleep. I also get my back going completely numb where I can't feel anything, but I think that's just when I lay down, not necessarily as I'm on the edge of sleep. Perhaps the out of breath feeling is just from shock, and not necessarily as a part of the jolt itself, or it's associated with it because of the shock of it? Does that make sense? I know what I mean to say, but not sure how to formulate it! Lyme brain...whoo!

Anyway, I get that jolt. A lot... It actually happens less now than it has in a while, since I've been on a treatment protocol. But, I think that's probably part of the Lyme syndrome of symptoms, IMHO. And mine is definitely NOT associated with flying or anything like that, not with a dream. It's right before sleep, right on the edge...

Hope that helps and makes you feel a bit better.

Thegreenone--that sounds very similar to sleep paralysis... You might try googling it to see if it sounds familiar. I've been there and done that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what was going on with you. It doesn't feel to me like passing out, tho. Just an altered state of consciousness and heaviness, but you can't move... And you feel a sense of dread. I never have felt like I was gonna pass out, just paralyzed.

*hugs*

Jen

01/02/2009 04:07 AM
TiffanyL
TiffanyLPosts: 73

I have sleep paralysis too...but never had it until I had Lyme. And it's only happened once or twice since I started treatment. Before I knew what it was, I thought I was going to die. I would feel like I was screaming to my husband to help me when in reality he was thinking I was peacefully asleep. I felt like I was trapped inside my body and trying to kick and scream my way out.

I've also had the jolting awake thing right before I fall into a deep sleep, but I'm with the others - I don't think it's a Lyme thing. I remember that happening when I was a kid, and know lots of people that have had that happen too. You might want to talk to your doctor about it though, cause I think things like that happen more often in people with things like sleep apnea...especially if you're out of breath afterwards.

01/02/2009 06:31 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Yep. Have had that too...Also still get it when i go to the dentist. I am a real white knuckle patient, so the anxiety is up. I have to tell a new dentist that if I stop breathing to shake me back. And I come back with a jolt. But I have had it many times years ago in relation to sleep. I'd get the full body jolt, and getting up with loss of breath. I dont recall if eating ever helped. It did often come when i had extreem difficulty sleeping.

Also have had sleep paralysis too...

What fun!

Christine

01/02/2009 06:52 AM
zoemajik
zoemajik  

Hi! I've had the jolt and the sleep paralysis, where I can't move and I'm screaming but I'm really not, and when I finally am able to scream, my husband isn't aware that I was panicking - he said I was breathing normally and quiet each time. But sometimes he says I suck air in harder while I'm asleeep, since I've been on treatment. And sometimes I'm out of breath afterwards, like I'd had a bad nightmare (except I'm awake!). I've only had these feelings since I started my medication, and when my neck is really swollen. It's scary! ((hugs)) - Valerie

01/02/2009 10:24 AM
thegreenone
thegreenone  

Just an altered state of consciousness and heaviness, but you can't move... And you feel a sense of dread. I never have felt like I was gonna pass out, just paralyzed.

Before I knew what it was, I thought I was going to die. I would feel like I was screaming to my husband to help me when in reality he was thinking I was peacefully asleep. I felt like I was trapped inside my body and trying to kick and scream my way out.

Hi! I've had the jolt and the sleep paralysis, where I can't move and I'm screaming but I'm really not, and when I finally am able to scream, my husband isn't aware that I was panicking - he said I was breathing normally and quiet each time.

Thank you. Wow, all your comments sound just like what happens to me, you described it a little better than I did. I had done a little bit of research on sleep paralysis before. Maybe I'll look into it a little more closely. Just seems so fascinating in a way. Definitely not fascinating during the time that it happens though. It probably happens on average once or twice a month. The jolt now happens maybe 2-3 times month. The jolt used to happen more often for me.

kelm42- I did not mean to hijack the thread, sorry about that Whistling

Post edited by: thegreenone, at: 01/02/2009 10:24

01/13/2009 10:31 AM
JohnC

Hello Kelm,

I found this group and your posting by doing a symptom search of my own. As far as I know, I don't have Lyme Disease, but the symptoms that I am having with sleep is very close to what you discribed. I read further in the post but it seems that the other posters may have started talking about something slightly different. It just happened last night so it's very fresh in my mind.

As I'm falling asleep everything is fine, I'm very relaxed and peaceful, but just as I'm crossing over into deep sleep, my heart and rest of my system seems to shut down slowly. It's as if someone shut down a large electric grid and you can hear and feel the power wind down to a halt. It feels as if I'm in the process of passing out. I get lightheaded and start to lose consciousness. Then I get scared and make myself move to shake it off. If I don't, it feels like I would simply lose consciousness, stop breathing, and...well, scary. This happened for about an hour. Each time i would calm myself down and start to fall asleep, it would happen again, until finally i guess I fell asleep ok.

Is this what's happening to you too. Anyone else? last night was the worst that it's happened (multiple times) but I started to notice it happening from time to time about 8 months ago. Maybe once a month or every other month. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John

01/13/2009 10:47 AM
Jenn56
Jenn56  

Hey i also have it to...My llmd had said that he believes its fr my heart,,Because i do have alot of heart problems fr lyme.I get were i kinda feel like i cant breath or stop breathing and my body kinda just jumps up,,,I hate it some nights its soooo bad were i think im gonna die,,,

01/25/2011 09:08 AM
CanOnlyBme

If i get over heated in my home i tend to feel like i am Passing out , forced to sleep and in the process I feel like i stop breathing and I am jolted from my sleep either choking or feeling like i can't breath.I dont want to freeze everyone out so i got to sleep in the livingroom where it is much cooler.Feeling Dehydrated all the time, to the point of even my eyes and throat feel completely dry...Theses symtoms come on very fast with no warning.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved