MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/16/2011 11:49 AM

Cost of IV picc Treatment???

jesusluvsyou
jesusluvsyou  

I am planning of having IV abx treatment for lyme. Can someone please break down the cost for me? I have an initial appointment scheduled with a doctor who does picc IV treatment. I've spoken with two people who have seen him : one said it cost her $33,000 for 5 months treatment and the other said $26,000 for 6 months of treatment. Where do these high figures come from?

I recently read a free e-book called "Infusing for Lymies" - (please read if you have not, its only 50 pages long and not a lot of writing on each page!!) According to this it seems like I could pay pennies in comparison to $33,000 dollars.

* I know that doctor visits are 100's of dollars a visit.

* Nurse visits once a week, how much does this cost?

* Med's can very but lets say $1,000 - 1,500 per month according to ebook infusing for lymies.

* does anyone know how much a picc cost to have put in? Does insurance cover any of this? I have Blue Cross Blue Shield.

I can not figure out how it can cost $26,000 - $33,000 for 5-6 months of treatment??? where is this other cost coming from??

Do some doctor's make you buy the medicine at their office and raise the price??

Any input would help me greatly Smile

Keep fighting this disease, never give up! God has not forgotten about you!!

06/16/2011 12:59 PM
goobered
goobered  

Hey - LOVE your name!!!

I had IV Rocephin through a PICC line at the end of Dec through the beginning of January for Sepsis. Since I had already met my total out of pocket, it did not cost a cent.

I too, have BCBS. My deductible is $2500 and then I have co-insurance that I pay 25% of everything until I have paid a total of $5000 out of pocket and everything else is covered 100%. So in March2010, I had a central line placed under general anesthesia at the hospital. Everything together - surgeon, anesthesia, hospital - was about $ 2800. A Picc line is cheaper.

I cannot find my EOB (Explanation of Benefits) from BCBS to see what their allowables were for the Rocephin IV and Home Health to administer it was. They are very good though. You can call and ask them how much their "allowables" are per day. Then make sure that whoever is used is "IN NETWORK" with BCBS so that you don't get stuck paying any more than you have to.

All plans are different. You may have a copay, deductible, co-insurance, or any combination of these. With my plan having such a high deductible and total out of pocket, I would pay $5000. total (unless the doc does not take insurance). If your doc does NOT take insurance, youstill do NOT have to buy the Rocephin from him. He can write an order for home health and IV Rocephin and your insurance cover it.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

God bless you. I pray that he guides you and that he guides the course of treatment to bring you the fastest healing!

Goob

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved