MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2011 08:19 AM

what does positive/negative mean???

melissajl
melissajl  

Hello, I just had the w.b. test done for lyme and some coinfections. I got only SOME of results back before the dr went on vacation.

Now the nurses won't or can't tell me anything. I have to wait. However what I was told last tuesday by office staff was that my vitamins D and B12 were low...cholesterol a bit high and that "some" lyme came back positive but everything wasn't back yet.

I asked what "some" meant. She said it came back positive/negative. She also said that she thinks I showed antibodies for it and then she said something about the word REACTIVE.

Please can anyone ellaborate on what positive/negative would mean and also reactive. I'm going crazy because I have to wait for my next appt after the dr comes home from vacation but at least i have a few clues.

Post edited by: melissajl, at: 05/04/2011 09:39 AM

05/04/2011 09:22 AM
fabajenna

Hey Melissa-

To me it sounds like you are positive for lyme..maybe negative for the CDC, which you don't have to care, it just means they won't count you officially in your state.

The reactive part someone else will have to clarify, but I'm guessing that you might have a case where you are showing the antibodies, but not a strong infection at this time.

Regardless, you are positive for lyme it seems..start doing some research and learn as much as you can about it if you haven't already..

That way when you have your appointment with your llmd, you will be able to understand more of what he's saying and will know what direction you want to take to treat it..

I'm sorry you were diagnosed with lyme, but at least you know and will be able to treat it and be well in time..

Blessings to you..I'm hoping this has helped some.

And Melissa..welcome to the family!

peaceSmile

Post edited by: fabajenna, at: 05/04/2011 09:23 AM

05/04/2011 09:27 AM
melissajl
melissajl  

yes it has, thank you! I hate being confused and hate that I wasn't able to talk with the dr about it yet.

Also, having some of the results pending before she left is not so fun either. hahaha

Anyway, I'm attempting to do as much research as I can...finding out how the western blot test works....looking for the word reactive so on and so forth.

I keep pulling info up about bands etc...and I have no idea which bands showed up until I can speak with her.

I guess I just wish I had more info. Sad

But thank you.... anything with a positive in it helps me for sure. I've been having symptoms for years and I'm finally getting answers!!!!!!!

Post edited by: melissajl, at: 05/04/2011 09:38 AM

05/04/2011 09:40 AM
melissajl
melissajl  

oh and what are the cdc standards???

05/04/2011 09:58 AM
fabajenna

Hey Melissa-

If you go to this link, Betty has compiled a lot of information regarding the tests and their explanations..

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/general-support/13194-dr-c-mo-explanation-of-western- blot-igm-igg

It is a lot to read, but maybe this will help to explain more..

Happy reading, and please feel free to keep asking questions..someone will join in I'm sure..

peaceSmile

05/04/2011 10:49 AM
krystle2

I just want to recommend that any tests you have in the future always get copies mailed to you.

05/04/2011 11:10 AM
fabajenna

That's a very good point to bring up krystle, thank you for telling her that!Smile

You are absolutely right.

peace

05/05/2011 07:31 AM
melissajl
melissajl  

Thanks, I will get copies of my test results from now on. That's a great idea.

Also, thanks for the link...I read it all and printed it out. It lead me to more which i read too.

Now I'm very very interested to see what dr says and I can't wait to SEE what bands i have.

From looking at a few others I realized you could be right. It might be negative by cdc standards which seems like nothing to worry about if I'm seeing an llmd, which i am.

And looking back at what nurse said...I think they are wanting to put me on meds and then test again to get more positive results..which can happen.

But honestly I don't know...all i know is now I have to wait for my dr to come back from her vaca!!!!! so stressful!!! There were more results i was waiting on... I hate waiting as you can tell!!!

Thanks again!!

Post edited by: melissajl, at: 05/05/2011 07:32 AM

05/05/2011 08:03 AM
fabajenna

Hi Melissa-

Waiting is the hardest, and it's unfortunately what happens when we become ill with these diseases..

Just know that we are all here for you, whenever you need to vent or need support, we're right here.

Try and get through this time as stress-free as you possibly can, I know it's easier said than done..

Let us know how you do and you're in our thoughts and prayers.

peace

05/05/2011 08:09 AM
melissajl
melissajl  

thanks! I find that doing research helps...and talking to others who I know have it, especially those who had to search for their answers.

I'd like to say I want to get my mind OFF it, but i simply can not so I find that doing things like finding these forums is what is getting me through!!!

So thanks again. I'll def be letting you know what the dr does say about test results, treatment...etc... and yes, I've waited like three years...I can wait a week!! Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved