MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/26/2011 07:52 PM

milk thistle and antibiotics

meluveitie
meluveitiePosts: 61

My doctor wants to put me on milk thistle while taking antibiotics, but I read that milk thistle can interfere with the absorption of the antibiotic. Is there an optimal window with which to take the milk thistle? I take minocycline and rifampin twice a day. Thanks. Smile

04/26/2011 08:10 PM
inkyblck
inkyblckPosts: 446

meluveitie, your liver is very important, so supporting it is essential ... It is probably best to ask your doc ~

However, I would say that staggering the antibiotics away from the milk thistle as far as possible would make the most sense ~

Taking all the necessary things and figuring out how to space them can be really a pain ~ esp with some requiring food, and some on an empty stomach ...

I would say take the MT at least 2 hrs before or 2 hrs after the antibiotics ...

04/26/2011 08:12 PM
meluveitie
meluveitiePosts: 61

Well I've also read that milk thistle can interact with many drugs, reducing liver enzymes and causing the drugs to stay in the system longer which could be toxic. I saw Rifampin was on this drug list. Is there anything else that may be safer to use for liver support?

04/26/2011 08:19 PM
GWB

Milk Thistle is a very safe herb and one that has worked very effectively for many people in supporting their liver. It helped get my liver enzymes down to normal, so I would not be afraid to take this. I'd be more afraid not to. As inkybick said, take it a couple hours away from abx and you'll do fine. Do a google search on "Milk Thistle Benefits" and you'll see why this is a very important herb for us to take.

Gary

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved