MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/20/2011 03:41 AM

throbbing pain in big toe?

JDiane
JDiane  

This is the third time in a month I've woke up during the night with horrible, intense throbbing pain in my big left toe....

It feels like an ingrown toe nail (but its not) and hurts to the touch and to walk.

In general, my feet hurt, but this is very intense. No swelling, maybe a little redness. And as bad as it hurts, it goes away completely within a few hours.

Has anyone had this? Ugh......

04/20/2011 06:22 PM
VicMac
VicMac  

Hey Diane, I am so glad I found this post of yours! Hope you get my response.

You know, what you describe is something I have EXACTLY. Same toe and same symptoms.

It started up last summer and seems to come and go just like you said. I thought the same as you, that it was an engrown toenail, since it seems to make the whole toenail area hurt like hell.

When it hits, it throbs and hurts so bad I cant even sleep.

Shoes hurt it too. Havent had it for a few weeks now. But general foot pain seems to be worse when it occurs too. Very mysterious thing. I tried to post about this a while back and didnt get much response.

It is much much worse laying down at night like you said too. Keeps me awake. With me also feels like it should be massively swelling, and yet is only maybe slightly red, if that.

I actually thought I had a staff infection, because rubbing an antiboitic ointment into it religiously did nothing to help it really. Foot doc saw nothing wrong, but only suggested that I have the whole side of my toenail clipped off.

I waited, and it basically went away. If I try to cut my toenail, it tries to come back, I can feel it. It feels like it gets agitated if I disturb my toenail in any way.

Honestly, I am suspecting this is Bart under there. It is on my left foot and seems to parallel the fact that the rash and bottom of the foot pain is also on this foot.

This is also the leg that hurts the most and cramps the most.

Do let me know what you find out about this! Would love to know. And I hope it goes away for you.

Oh, have you had any kind of toenail bruises too, that mysteriously appear for no reason? At the same time my left toe was hurting like heck, my right toenail got a completely painless bruise under it in the exact same location. Weird.

04/20/2011 06:39 PM
JDiane
JDiane  

Vic,

I couldn't have said that better myself......EXACT SAME THING for me!

Really throbs, and yes you would think its swollen but just a little warm and red. I also tried antibiotic ointment, nothing......

The pain is so intense it seems to radiate to different areas of my foot.

I tried calling my Llmd but he wasn't there today so I will try again tomorrow and post what he says.

I've heard it could be gout.....and from what I read sounds like gout. But I don't know, seems like another symptom like you said.

Did anyone ever mention gout to you?

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely let you know what I find out!

J

04/20/2011 10:26 PM
inkyblck
inkyblckPosts: 446

Hi Janet Smile

Ugggh, I've had awful heel pain, and more recently the top of my right foot will feel broken at times ~ along w/ the shin ...

Everything that I have been told by my doc is that in this order, foot pain is usually attributed to

1) bartonella

2) babesia

3) lyme

Years and years ago, bartonella was refered to as "shinbone fever" ...

And when reading over the bart symptom list, foot pain is always in the top 3 ...

I would think it is definitely related to a tick bite - but which infection, it is almost impossible to tell ...

Post edited by: inkyblck, at: 04/20/2011 10:27 PM

04/20/2011 10:31 PM
inkyblck
inkyblckPosts: 446

Here's a fascinating foot reflexology chart ( it might take a minute to load in ):

http://www.kenrico.com/kenrico_reflexology.html

04/21/2011 02:34 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I've heard it could be gout.....and from what I read sounds like gout. But I don't know, seems like another symptom like you said.

Did anyone ever mention gout to you? janet

i totally agree 100% ... GOUT, URICACID buildup; mylate dadhad this all his life. PREGNISONE is what they use for it ... another NO NO for a lyme patient!

he also went undiagnosed 80 yrs+ for lyme/co-infections.

it turns red; he'd have tocome down our 2flights of bedroom stairs on his buttom to get down to main floor.

bettyg, iowa leader

04/24/2011 07:11 PM
VicMac
VicMac  

Hi Diane,

I thought it might be gout at first too, but that is supposed to be a deeper pain in the toe joint I think.

The foot doc I went to said it was NOT gout. But he did not know what it was.

My pain is centered around the toenail area, and the whole toenail will hurt. And yes, like you said, seems to radiate out to other areas.

Very weird. And it can be intense. But as I said, it has not been active too much in the past couple of months or so.

I remember I tried soaking it daily in epsom salts with very little result.

I kept thinking it was an infection, because it tends to be worse laying down when the blood is not getting down to it as much. Then standing during the day, it feels better.

I think the best thing to work on it was putting cayenne pepper mixed with aloe on it, and covering it with a bandaide.

It burned like heck, and hurt worse than ever!!! But then it seemed to go away after that for a long time.

This leads me to believe it is some kind of inflamation. Cayenne is good for that.

I do sincerely hope you get better on this Diane, but I have to be honest, I am so glad you have a ditto on so much of this!

I dont feel so crazy over it anymore! Keep me posted!

Oh Lucas, Have had the broken foot feeling too you mention. Years ago mostly on that one. And on the tops of my feet and shin bone.

Actually, I thought the pain on the bottom of my feet was coming from a bad kidney meridian all that time, until I learned about Bart symptoms from you guys!

I tell you, what a quagmire of confusion!

Post edited by: VicMac, at: 04/24/2011 07:15 PM

04/24/2011 07:37 PM
laxre

HI,

This is what exactly happened to me, right toe pain came 3 months ago and gone in minutes, after that I got same hitting pain at same spot couple of time and went away in minutes.

04/28/2011 06:23 PM
VicMac
VicMac  

Well I am just glad to know, I am not the only one with a defunct toe!

05/02/2012 10:52 AM
LDONLY1

HI I THINK I KNOW WHAT IT IS.. ITS SCIATIC.. I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN LAST NIGHT..I AWOKE TO IT.. I THOUGHT I HAD INJURED MY TOE DROPPED SOMETHING ON IT OF LIFTED THE TOE NAIL.. I PUT ICE ON IT AN IT WAS SO SORE TO THE TOUGH..

THIS MORNING ITS MUCH BETTER.. BUT I FEEL MY LOW BACK ON THE SAME SIDE TO BE A BIT SORE..

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved