MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/09/2011 03:06 PM

Does anyone take Xanax?

MBC25
MBC25  

I'm having a really hard time coping with everything and feel so overwhelmed at times I can't catch my breath and break down and cry...

My therapist suggested I ask for Xanax. I'm already on Lexapro...

Has anyone tried it? Had success with it?

04/09/2011 03:38 PM
GWB

If you have anxiety attacks it's a good medicine to give you immediate relief for anxiety. If you want long term anxiety relief you could go with Klonopin (clonazepam).

What you're taking now is an antidepressant. Xanax is for anxiety. If that's what you are experiencing, then yes, Xanax would be a good choice for you if your therapist recommends it and feels you'd benefit from it.

I'd suggest asking about the longer term Klonopin which is almost the same as Xanax except longer lasting. Ask you doctor what he/she recommends. You probably know this already, Xanax is highly addictive, but it can be very helpful for those who are dealing with anxiety.

Gary

04/09/2011 03:55 PM
neska

i was offered lexapro only because he didn't want to fill a long term prescription. my doctor said it was for both, depression and anxiety.

i didn't like the effect. it really didn't do anything for me. i know it takes weeks to take total effects. i think i only did 2 weeks. sample box so whatever was in that.

i couldn't take it. so i just stopped and took the zanax. i am on zanax now.

1 pill every 6 hours, 3x a day. i don't take that much. at least i try not to. i take a 1/2 as needed. sometimes by the end of the day i took 2 whole pills.

i noticed if i don't move around, it will make me tired.

the reason i prefer zanax is i can control it. i know when i don't go for the zanax, the lyme will hopefully be in remission.....and i can't wait for the day!!!!!!!

if it wasn't the lyme, i would not be on any pill.

04/09/2011 04:12 PM
espltd

Personally I prefer Ativan / lorazepam , it has the same effect as xanax for anxiety episodes, its a little slower to take effect but lasts longer.

Plus it tends to not give you that drunk feel that xanax does, just relaxation... However as GWB said its all highly addictive, personally I try to take as little of my scrip as I can, just enough to kill the freak out feeling.

Also something I take occasionally for the milder anxiety days, I ve mentioned before is the pharmaGABA supp, for me it defnitely has a mild calming effect...

04/09/2011 07:51 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

I take xanax only when I start into a panic attack. .25 works ok for me along with some other skills I have learned to talk my self out of them.

04/09/2011 08:08 PM
littletree
littletree  

MBC25 did your doctor not prescribe xanex with the lexapro? usually they come together, because celexa and lexapro can cause severe anxiety in the first few weeks! until you brain adjusts. did you notice your anxiety got much worse after starting the lexapro? if so, your doc should be a little more careful about what he prescribes...it is common knowledge in this one.

04/10/2011 04:36 AM
MBC25
MBC25  

Well I have been on lexapro for over two months and actually my mood has been a lot better including anxiety. I've just been having severe complications from my illnesses and none of my docs know what's wrong and im feeling overwhelmed.

I take 200mg of seroquel which does help my anxiety on a day to day basis

04/11/2011 07:59 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

My youngest was on Abilify and Wellbutrin until she became pregnant. The doctors have all said she is going to crash hard. Im hoping not..

04/11/2011 08:12 PM
missy33

I take Xanax when I am having a really bad anxiety day. It helps some, but it also makes me more sleepy. Thats why I always weigh the pro's. And if I am at the point of a breakdown, I would rather be a little extra sleepy than have a complete melt down... cant do that with three little ones!

I also like the fact that I dont HAVE to take it every day... only when I really need it. I only have to take about 5 a month... not bad and it is getting less as I continue treatment.

Carol, Congrats on a new grandchild! I wish your daughter the best Smile

04/11/2011 08:46 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Thanks Missy,

I will be going into the delivery room with her so I can make sure they collect the cord blood for Igenex.

It will be my second birth I am honored to be at. I have given birth to 3 girls but its a whole different world at the other end of that table. Truely a miracle.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved