MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/26/2011 08:40 AM

dry mouth dehydrated

piccsave

Does anyone experience extremme dry mouth and feeling of dehydration during the night? It keeps waking me up. I keep a water bottle at the side of my bed and keep waking up to drink. Does anyone else go throigh this and does anyone have any idea what causes this? Any recomendations would be appreciated.

03/26/2011 09:24 PM
amanda11

I do too. I haven't found much that helps with that. I get so thirsty at night. I just keep my water by my bed, and then end up getting up to refill it a few times in the night.

I notice that its worse when I have night sweats. My night sweats are most likely caused by my babesia.

Sorry that I don't have much advice, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!

Post edited by: amanda11, at: 03/26/2011 09:25 PM

03/27/2011 12:10 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

i'm exactly like you! it's the worst part of my illnesses.

MEDS CAUSE DRY MOUTH; each of 14 RX meds say it could cause dry mouth.

i use BIOTENE toothpaste & mouthwash, but it doesn't help at night. i have water where i sip/pee all night long.

my dental tech told me i have SJOGREN'S, dry mouth; dryest tongu eshe has seen when cleaning my teeth.

perhaps toothfairy carol, dental tech, might have other suggestions for us all too; i sure hope so carol! Smile

bettyg, iowa leader

04/02/2011 01:47 PM
piccsave

Thanks for responding Amanda and Betty. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

04/02/2011 01:54 PM
hopesalive
hopesalive  

I have been on the same meds for years, yet never experienced this HORRIBLE dry mouth at night until the past year or so.

I wake up and I have absolutely NO saliva in my mouth, and it is a horrible feeling!

I have always kept water by my bedside, but for a preventative, I recently discovered something that helps me NOT wake up with this horrible feeling.

I use Biotene Oral Balance DryMouth Moisturizing Gel.

It comes in a tube, and you just need a tiny bit.

They also make toothpaste and mouthwash, but the gel is what REALLY helped me.

I did have to special order this from the pharmacist at Cub, but it was well worth it for me, anyway.

Hope this helps! Smile

04/02/2011 04:27 PM
fabajenna

Hi piccsave-

Dry mouth can be a sign of Candida...

That is what I've read.....and I also have Babesia and night sweats like Amanda...

They can both leave you dehydrated.

peace

04/02/2011 04:41 PM
Julie4848

Lucky this does not happen to me I have over 15 per night (but mine are from no HRT)...

04/02/2011 04:53 PM
fabajenna

Hey piccsave-

Here's what I found for you..

http://www.mywhatever.com/cifwriter/library/70/4941.html

Symptoms related to the mouth are prevalent at the end of life and are often overlooked by clinicians.

The mouth may become too dry (xerostomia), or patients may be troubled by excess salivary production (sialorrhea).

They may experience drooling or choking if they are unable to handle the complex steps involved in swallowing saliva.

They are also prone to a variety of infections - candidiasis, viral infections (especially herpes in immuno-suppressed patients), and some bacterial infections.

peace

Smile

Post edited by: fabajenna, at: 04/02/2011 04:54 PM

04/04/2011 08:29 AM
littletree
littletree  

i had this real bad a few months ago, but my doc and i finally figured it out, it was candita, and as soon as i started to take fluconozole, it went away....hope this helps! cause i know how bad it sucks!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved