MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/06/2011 06:05 AM

ENZYMES- IMPORTANT FOR LYME & CO.

shorelinelyme
shorelinelymePosts: 1252

Here's a good article explaining the importance of enzymes for Lyme & co.

They have also been found to be beneficial for those with Fibro, CFS, MS...hmmm...

Jackie

Systemic Enzymes-By Jenna Smith,author

http://www.lymediseaseresource.com/Systemic_Enzmes.html

"An enzyme is a biocatalyst - something that makes something else work or work faster. Chemical reactions are generally slow things, enzymes speed them up.

Without enzymes, the chemical reactions that make up our life would be too slow for life as we know it. (As slow as sap running down a tree in winter). For life to manifest, as we know it, enzymes are essential to speed up the reactions.

We have roughly 3000 enzymes in our bodies and over 7000 enzymatic reactions. Most of these enzymes are derived or created from what we think of as the protein digesting enzymes.

But while digestion is an important part of what enzymes do, it's almost the absolute last function.

Natural Anti-Inflammatory.

Enzymes are the first line of defense against inflammation. Inflammation is a reaction by the immune system to an irritation.

Let's say you have an injured right knee. The immune system, sensing the irritation in the knee, creates a protein chain called a Circulating Immune Complex (CIC for short), tagged specifically for that right knee.

(The Nobel Prize in biology was won in 1999 by a scientist who found the tagging mechanism).

This CIC floats down to the right knee and causes pain, redness and swelling - the classic earmarks for inflammation.

This, at first, is a beneficial reaction; it warns us that a part of ourselves is hurt and needs attention. But, inflammation is self-perpetuating, it creates an irritation that in response, and the body makes CIC's for!

Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Celebrex, Viox and the rest of the Non Steroidial Anti Inflammatory Drugs all work by keeping the body from making all the CIC's.

This ignores the fact that some CIC's are vital to life, like those that maintain the lining of the intestine and those that keep the kidneys functioning!

Not to mention the fact that they, along with acetaminophen, are highly toxic to the liver.

Every year 20,000 Americans die from these over the counter drugs and another 100,000 will wind up in the hospital with liver damage, kidney damage or bleeding intestines from the side effects of these drugs.

Systemic enzymes, on the other hand, are perfectly safe and free of dangerous side effects.

They have no LD-50, or toxic dose. Best of all, systemic enzymes can tell the difference between the good CIC's and the bad ones.

This is due to the fact that hydrolytic enzymes are lock and key mechanisms and their "teeth" will only fit over the bad CIC's. So instead of preventing the creation of all CIC's, systemic enzymes just "eat" the bad ones and in so doing, lower inflammation everywhere. With that, pain is also lowered.

Enzymes eat scar tissue and fibrosis. Fibrosis is scar tissue and most doctors learn in anatomy that it is fibrosis that eventually kills us all. Let me explain.

As we age, which starts at 27, we have a diminishing of the body's output of enzymes. This is because we make a finite amount of enzymes in a lifetime and we use up a good deal of them by the time we are 27.

At that point, the body knows that if it keeps up that rate of consumption we'll run out of enzymes and be dead by the time we reach our 40's.

(Cystic Fibrosis patients who have virtually no enzyme production to speak of, even as children usually don't make it past their 20's before they die of the restriction and shrinkage in the lungs from the formation of fibrosis or scar tissue).

The repair mechanism of the body goes off balance and has nothing to reduce the over abundance of fibrin it deposits in nearly everything from simple cuts, to the inside of our internal organs and blood vessels.

It is then when most women begin to develop things like fibrocystic breast disease, uterine fibroids, and endometriosis.

We all grow arterial sclerotic (meaning scar tissue) plaque, and have fibrin begin to spider web its way inside of our internal organs, reducing their size and function over time.

This is why as we age our wounds heal with thicker, less pliable, weaker and very visible scars.

If we replace the lost enzymes, we can control and reduce the amount of scar tissue and fibrosis our bodies have.

As physicians in the US are now discovering, even old scar tissue can be "eaten away" from surgical wounds, pulmonary fibrosis, kidney fibrosis even keloid years after their formation.

Medical doctors in Europe and Asia have known this and used orally administered enzymes for such for over 40 years!

Systemic Enzymes also facilitate blood cleansing. The blood is not only the river of life; it is also the river through which the cells and organs dispose of their waste.

Enzymes improve circulationby eating the excess fibrin that causes blood to sometimes get as thick as catsup or yogurt, creating the perfect environment for the formation of clots.

All of this material is supposed to be cleaned off by the liver on "first pass" or the first time it goes through. Given the sluggish and near toxic or toxic states of everyone's liver these days, that seldom happens.

So the waste remains in the blood, waiting for the liver to have enough free working space and enough enzymes to clean it. This can take days or in some people, weeks!

When systemic enzymes are taken, they stand ready in the blood and take the strain off of the liver by;

Cleaning excess fibrin from the blood and reducing the stickiness of blood cells. These two actions minimize the leading causes of stroke and heart attack: blood clots..

Breaking dead material down small enough that it can immediately pass into the bowel.

Cleansing the FC receptors on the white blood cells, improving their function and availability to fight off infection.

And here we come to the only warning we have to give concerning the use of any systemic enzyme - don't use the product if you are a hemophiliac or are on prescription blood thinners like coumadin, heparin and plavix.

The enzymes cause the drugs to work better, so there is the possibility of thinning the blood too much.

Immune System Modulating.

Enzymes are adaptogenic, seeking to restore a steady state to the body.

When the immune system is running low, we become susceptible to infectious disease.

When it's cranked up too high, then the system creates antibodies that attack it's own tissues, as are seen in the autoimmune diseases of MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Lupus.

Here the systemic enzymes will tone down immune function and eat away at the antibodies the immune system is making to attack its bodies own tissue.

When the immune system is run down too low, the enzymes increase immune response, producing more Natural Killer cells, and improving the efficiency of the white blood cells, all leading to improved immunity.

Virus Fighting.

Viruses harm us by replicating in our bodies. To do this, a virus must bond itself to the DNA in our cells through the medium of its exterior protein cell wall. Anything that disrupts that cell wall inhibits the ability of viral replication by rendering individual viruses.

Systemic enzymes can tell the difference between the proteins that are supposed to be in your body and those that are foreign or not supposed to be there (again the enzyme lock and key mechanism).

Systemic enzymes have a unique feature. Side effects do not occur with systemic enzymes.

This means that raising the dosage to massive levels does not cause any problems unlike pharmaceutical drugs.

The initial dosage, which is often one potent enzyme pill three daily taken 45 minutes before or 45 minutes after a meal, can be raised by three tablets daily every few days until the desired therapeutic response develops..

A person given more than 3700 enzyme tablets in one day experienced only diarrhea from this massive capsule intake.

Of the thousands of systemic enzymes, certain combinations are found especially useful for certain conditions.

The three most important enzymes for chronic Lyme disease are Lumbrokinase, Nattokinase and Serrapeptase."

Post edited by: shorelinelyme, at: 03/06/2011 06:16 AM

enlarge text for neuros like me, bettyg, iowa leader

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 03/07/2011 01:25 AM

03/06/2011 06:29 AM
wlkthlne
wlkthlne  

Shoreline...awesome post..ya reading my mind or my past posts..thank you wanted something like this posted!

Is this the same Jenna Smith that does Jenna's Blog?

If it is...I get automatic emails from her..and crap I missed this big time. So..so glad you posted..

I knew about the Natto..and been all this time mixing it with eggs...but...I will have to did deeper..

Because what my LLMD gave me for the Biofilm aspect..is not of the three listed....

Lumbrokinase, Nattokinase and Serrapeptase."

Umm..I think there is alot more to this great topic Shoreline started..I am in hope more can add to this.

Perhaps we can make it a "treatment Thread"???

wlk---

03/06/2011 06:50 AM
shorelinelyme

wlkthlne,

Yes- I saw your post the other day!Smile I really think this is a big part of the puzzle for a lot of people. I have also recently started on the thera-zyme formulas that Tammy has had success with...so there are more than just these 3...

JackieSmile

03/07/2011 03:17 AM
shorelinelyme

Here is another important enzyme in fighting infection:

"Because of the catalase, Thera-zyme TRMA has a profound antioxidant effect on free radical pathology, which is involved in all inflammatory conditions and pathologies."

(This is one of the formulas Tammy has had success with.)

"Sendur and colleagues in a 2008 Rheumatology International Journal showed us that glutathione and catalase levels were significantly lower in fibromyalgia patients."

Catalase

"Catalase is an antioxidant enzyme that, like superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase, is produced naturally within the body.

It helps the body to convert hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen, thus preventing the formation of carbon dioxide bubbles in the blood.

Catalase also uses hydrogen peroxide to break down potentially harmful toxins in the body, including alcohol, phenol, and formaldehyde.

We need oxygen to live, yet when our bodies use oxygen they produce free radicals that damage cell membranes, proteins, and DNA.

Free radicals are chemically unstable atoms or molecules that cause other atoms and molecules in the body to become unstable as well, a process that causes extensive damage to cells and tissue, and could lead to a depressed immune system, infection, cardiovascular disease, joint disease, and mental decline.

Free radicals are also thought to be a key component of the aging process.

Catalase works closely with superoxide dismutase to prevent free radical damage to the body.

SOD converts the dangerous superoxide radical to hydrogen peroxide, which catalase converts to harmless water and oxygen.

Catalases are some of the most efficient enzymes found in cells; each catalase molecule can convert millions of hydrogen peroxide molecules every second.

Hydrogen peroxide is a naturally occurring but destructive waste product of all oxygen-dependent organisms.

It is produced in the human body when fatty acids are converted to energy, and when white blood cells attack and kill bacteria.

Catalase, which is located in the cell's peroxisome, prevents this naturally occurring hydrogen peroxide from harming the cell during these processes.

It also helps prevent the conversion of hydrogen peroxide to hydroxyl radicals, potentially dangerous molecules that can attack and even mutate DNA.

It has been theorized that one of the primary reasons cells age is the damage to DNA caused by free radicals and oxidizing agents such as hydrogen peroxide, and that elevating levels of the body's natural free-radical fighters—SOD, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase—could both improve human health and increase human lifespan.

Dr.Martin Chalfie and his colleagues at Columbia University found new evidence supporting this theory, when they recently discovered and isolated a gene in nematodes that uses catalase to neutralize free radicals and protect cells from oxidative damage.

Mutating this gene to turn catalase production on and off increased and decreased the lifespan of the nematode accordingly.

It may be that human aging, like that of the nematode, is a result of exposure to free radicals rather than the passage of time.

Catalase, superoxide dismutase, methionine reductase, and glutathione peroxidase are all manufactured in the body.

However, if you want to try to combat the effects of aging or ward off serious illness, you may want to supplement these enzymes."

http://www.vitaminstuff.com/catalase.html

Post edited by: shorelinelyme, at: 03/07/2011 04:04 AM

enlarged text for neuro lyme folks like me, bettyg, iowa leader

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 03/07/2011 09:49 PM

03/07/2011 05:19 PM
wlkthlne
wlkthlne  

shoreline, agree more and more on this Enzyme thing...It goes along with a post I put up on the "Liver"....

We don't realize other than our heart beating ..how important our Liver is...and also..this...Enzyme thing.

Here is another link...It say's more of the same...like..

My approach to chronic Lyme is to build the patient's immune system with enzymes,

nutrition and botanicals and use therapeutic doses of plant and pancreatic enzymes to digest the various stages of the bacteria.

In order to determine underlying causes of immune imbalance, it helps to do preventive lab tests and a preventive physical exam.

(See my article PDR: A Preventive physical exam). Spirochetes feed on sugar, so a low glycemic index diet is essential to controlling both Lyme and Candida Yeast

(See my article: Plant Enzymes and Candida Treatment). Also, natural remedies help to strengthen connective tissue to make it harder for the bacteria to invade.

http://lymenzymes.blogspot.com/

wlk--Cool

03/07/2011 05:42 PM
fabajenna

Okay guys, you're the experts..

I think I'm taking bogus enzymes...

It's called super enzymes, and I was to use them for digestion...

What you two are talking about seems so much different and advanced..

Mine have:

Betaine

Pancreatin 4x w/ amalyse, Protease, Lipase

Papain

Cellulase

Ox Bile Extract

Pepsin enzymes

Bromelain

Papaya powder

so what am I taking???Ermm

peace

03/07/2011 06:10 PM
neska

EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT! another one to add ....thank you!

03/09/2011 07:43 AM
sarahj725

yea i would be interested to know the difference, i am going to order digest gold + probiotic from swanson because i heard it was the best for digestive enzymes, but this seems like different enzymes.

03/12/2011 05:56 PM
forlydia
forlydia  

I would like to hear what other brands are being

used by lyme patients and what results have you

seen?

Personally, I used Neprinol and found it useful

to a certain point. Then the sides of my knees

started to hurt so I stopped them. This was the

only thing I was trying out.

03/17/2011 02:53 PM
fabajenna

Hey all-

I had an appointment with my llmd today, and asked about my enzymes that he has me take..I was right, they are for digestion.

So then I asked the magic question..shouldn't I be taking something for the biofilms..Lumbrokinase?

He said sure we can start you on Lumbrokinase...?????Unsure

I didn't bother asking why I wasn't on it already, I left that one alone!

I am to take one in the am and one in the pm...

He said some people can herx on it..I'll let you all know if that happens.Wink

peace all

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved