MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/30/2008 02:56 PM

The things that my family say...

anxiety

...that freak me out so much I feel sick.

"I'm getting awful tummy aches and bowel movements these days" - Mom, midweek

"Had awful chest pain earlier. Think it was just indigestion" - Mom, today

"Ow" - My girlfriend, after her back cracked

"Got a splitting headache" - Dad, holding his head, finding it hard to concentrate - last time I saw him 2 weeks ago

"I've been forgetting things all the time recently. All the time. Like, really simple things I would normally remember." - A friend

The list goes on and on. Can this be coincidence?

12/01/2008 12:40 AM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Ya know, I usually say I don't believe in coincidence, and that's true, to some extent, but the thing is, if you let this stuff get to you, it will. And stress is simply not good for you when you have Lyme. You have to take some of this with a grain of salt. I look around me and see everyone else with all these symptoms and think, could it be LD, but in my heart, I know that for the most part, very few of them truly have it. I believe my mom may, because I know her lifestyle is so much like mine and it's so much a possibility. However, many others, it really is just a coincidence. The people you know who could have it due to a lifestyle or true reasons, such as tick bites you are aware of, or some other reason that could be a real reason, besides just these weird aches and pains that you want to attribute, then I'd say yes, it's likely. You don't want to drive yourself nuts over something that you feel you're passing on to them based on something that's not very likely... Do you get what I'm saying? And when we have it, we start looking at everyone around us thinking they have it. It's possible, but we can't go nuts over it. We have to work on getting well and leave the rest of it alone. Based on your previous posts, it doesn't seem as though your family could have it, unless there's more to your story we haven't heard. My advice is to do your best to relax or get them to an LLMD, and stop worrying, one way or another. Smile *hugs*

12/02/2008 07:33 AM
CaseyLei13

I would ask these questions: Are you located in the NE? Are there woods around your home, do your parents and friends play outdoors? These are the things that as far as I can see, play a big part. Lyme's can present itself in many different ways, it is the great pretender, be careful.

12/02/2008 07:47 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Anxiety...

Boy did you pick the right screen name Silly Wink (lightening the mood here)...

The reality is this; the number of people who most likely have Lyme is HUGE and frightening. BUT not everyone who shares some of the more common symptoms have it.

I suspected and knew in my heart for YEARS that my mom had Lyme, but that was a reality that she wasnt ready for. Her focus for years was on me...then my sister. But she finally got to where she needs to be...and now my brother who has Autisim has it as does my youngest sister. That is the reality of it. There are a number of people, friends and family, who I would bet money on them having it (and I do not gamble). So what do you do with that knowledge? You cant force someone to see it if they dont want to. You can only educate yourself, and be supportive. And when/if they are ready, you can be there when the time comes.

But you cant stress on your worries and concerns for them. NOT while you are struggling so much. You HAVE to focus on you. I mean think about it. As you learn, you teach them. they begin to see the realities of the struggles that you HAVE to live with - both with the disease and the BS surrounding it. It is a scary reality for anyone who is having a few problems to consider for themselves. HOWEVER, if you focus on you, and they can see that you are getting better, and hopefully you get into remission...the possibility of them having it is less scary...because they have watched you take control and get your life back.

Focus on yourself for now hun...and if the time comes where your loved ones have to consider Lyme as the possible problem, you will be their light at the end of the tunnel. You will be their reality that they can accept that fate - and overcome it...

Dont stress yourself out over the maybes...you wont be good to anyone if you do...

Cool

Christine

12/03/2008 06:44 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Christine,

very well said. I second that.

it is scary, and underestimated as to how many people actually have it. fleas, ticks, mosquitos, all culprits.... some of us have better immune systems, other's don't, so it depends on how it affects us too.

i'm not thinking straight at all lately, my typing is off, so forgive me, it's taken like 15 mins just to write this.

jaime

12/03/2008 03:02 PM
anxiety

Thanks to all for replying, especially Jaime for the special effort.

Concerns eased as no complaints from any family members for a few days until today when girlfriend started complaining about her wisdom tooth and the swollen gland beneath it, and now mom said she's had chest pain for a couple days but it's gone away and she and her nurse friend agreed "probably just bad indigestion".

Yeah right, right?

I hate this. I hate all of it and I just wish it would go away. How much longer can I really live with this? And all this knowledge?

12/03/2008 03:50 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Well, anxiety, you can live with it as long as it takes, cuz you have the knowledge, and you're getting more. Just don't let it get you down. I know that you are starting to just cautiously look around every corner now, and thinking what's gonna be there when I look this time? Cuz I was doing that for a while, trust me. We've all been there, or we'll all get there, wherever we are in our own stages of acceptance/treatment/whatever it is...But it's ok.

I think that the biggest thing that's helped me is my faith, as with a lot of other people here. I've heard that time and again. Don't let your faith slide away just because you're going through a rough patch. This will really test how strong your faith is, trust me! As Christine has said to me time and again, this can make you or break you, and it definitely can break you if you let it. All of us have to be strong, for one another, and we have to be sure that we don't let it break us. I'm here for you if you ever want to talk--take me up on that whenever you need to! *hugs* Smile

Jen

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved