MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/06/2011 05:34 PM

Taking Doxycycline & Ceftin simultaneously

TurtleDove

Hi,

I was just prescribed Doxycycline 200 mg, 2x / day + Ceftin, 500 mg, 2x / day, to be taken at the same time.

I'm new to all of this Lyme stuff, but I thought it was odd to be taking these at the same time, and I wonder if it's too much to be taking at once antibiotic-wise. It's like pulling teeth to get anything out of my provider (which is why I'm about to switch to a new one), so I thought I'd ask here if anyone's ever had a similar regimen.

When I tried to pin the provider down on the vague instructions, saying, "So I take these at the same time?", I got an explanation about pulsing, etc, which really didn't answer the question. So I said, "So I take them at the same time. If this is incorrect, let me know," and didn't hear anything to the contrary. Very frustrating.

Can't wait to get a new doc!

Thanks!

02/07/2011 03:36 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hi turtle Smile

pulsing means you normally take 1 med for a specific no. of days; then take the other one for certain time limit.

i'd call that dr. back for SPECIFIC clarification on how many days on each, any days OFF between meds, etc.

have you check dr. burrascano's lyme treatment guidelines in my welcome letter; another link shows the meds only that i broke up so it ws easier reading. good luck.

no knowledge on this since i'm not currently treating lyme but all the other thigns wrong with me.

betty

06/02/2011 10:42 PM
health70

Hi,

I was just given the exact same prescription.

Doxycycline 200mg twice a day

Ceftin 500mg twice a day

I decided to start with the Doxy first for a few days and then add the Ceftin, giving my body a chance to ramp up.

How did this work for you? Did you "pulse"? and what was that? I am just supposed to take both every day for a month.

Thanks for your reply!

06/03/2011 05:08 AM
Tennesseemom7
Tennesseemom7  

I was on this regiment for the first 6 months of treatment, also pulsing in tindamax every 3 weeks.

06/05/2011 08:59 AM
health70

Hi,

Could you please share your experience or results from being on this combination regiment?

Did any symptoms go away? What were the symptoms? How are you doing now? Did you have any problems being on the dual antibiotic regiment?

Thank You!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved