MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/01/2011 02:17 PM

Lyme Diet's Effect on Blood Sugar

MysticLyme
MysticLyme  

If we normally have low blood sugar -- (every time I've been tested by my primary it runs only about 72!) -- will being on a SUGAR FREE diet harm us or help us???

Will having zero sugar in our diet cause our glucose levels to go down even lower? Too low? Or will the body adjust and be more normal than it used to be?

I haven't been tested since starting my Lyme diet (sugar/yeast/white bread/vinegar/gluten free diet) -- my LLMD tells all her patients not to have any sugar --

I'm probably at about 98 - 99% sugar free. I try to use stevia, honey, agave and maple syrup -- it's only on the rare occasion I eat out that I know there's likely some sugar hidden in the pizza sauce or something.

Just wondering if some of my frequent shakiness, weakness, headaches, nausea etc is exacerbated by the no sugar diet?? I'm scared to have my blood glucose drop lower than it already it is...

When I was a kid if I didn't eat frequently (like if traveling) I'd start passing out. My mom could give me a simple mint and I'd come to. Just a small amount of sugar and I'd regain sight & strength.

Normally we think of sugar as harming our immune system, etc but does anyone know if ZERO is harmful??? Ermm

Post edited by: MysticLyme, at: 02/01/2011 02:18 PM

02/01/2011 02:28 PM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

You know, honestly, I think this is a question for the doc. I don't think anyone could say definitively one way or the other...I would HOPE that the body compensates, detoxes, and goes back to normal insulin regulation etc...

But depending on how your body has been effected specifically I think that outcome could be different for some....Low blood sugar is a very serious thing that can lead to death..I would definitely ask the doc...

02/01/2011 07:53 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Mystic

72 isnt necessarily low. Have you been checked for hypogycemia?

Although we are suppose to be sugar free, most thing with the exception of meat which is a protien(and eventually breaks down to sugar but does it sooo slowly that it doesnt have an effect on our sugar)break down to sugar. Carrots have sugar, peas, corn, rice and potatoes are carbs and they all break down to sugar. So its not that we are sugar free, we are limiting our intake of excess sugar.

read your nutrition lables... check the carb count of the item and thats where your body is getting its "sugar" for energy.

02/01/2011 08:08 PM
VicMac
VicMac  

Mystic, I think I answered you on this on another thread you posted on. Did you see that?

02/01/2011 09:45 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

mystic, i agree; this is a question for a dr; not us.

example, i have diabetes 2; was on4 meds for it until last week when my BS were downto 49-70!

i was starting to hallucinate at 49; very woozy hanging onto walls to get from here to there.

dr. took me off 1 and said if i get low to let him know again.

how low is low to you.... 70 and BELOW!; at this point he'd cut my lisinopril inhalf used for BP and kidneys.

so again, talk to your dr. about this question ok. hugs to you on keeping it under control

betty

02/13/2011 08:13 PM
MysticLyme
MysticLyme  

Update! Smile

I heard back from my LLMD. She feels that a low sugar or sugar free diet actually helps alleviate and normalize hypoglycemic conditions. At this point she wasn't concerned for me because she is guessing my numbers will be MORE balanced on the diet

So that's good news Smile

02/13/2011 09:26 PM
VicMac
VicMac  

Good news Mystic! There has definately been a difference in my blood sugar since going on a low sugar diet.

I hope it helps you too!

02/14/2011 12:42 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

whoopie for MYSTIC; thanks for the update!! hugs

betty

02/15/2011 02:21 PM
MysticLyme
MysticLyme  

thank you Vicki & Betty!! Smile Smile

hope you are both having a good day!

hugs!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved