MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/12/2008 02:46 PM

Breathlessness

alyssao
alyssao  

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing OK today. I had an interesting day today. I went to bed last night feeling like I couldn't get a good breath of air. This has happenes a lot since my diagnosis, but it is usually better by morning. On my way into work I thought I was going to have to pull over because I just couldn't breathe. It got better for a while then kicked in again while I was at work. I went to see the nurse practitioner at my health center and she listened to my lungs and heart, got my temp pulse and pulse-ox, all fine. Then she sent me down for a CBC, EKG and a breathing test that I had a hard time doing. Everything checked out fine, but I still left there out of breath.

I went home and rested for a couple of hours and it went away. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a bout of breathlessness and gone to get it checked out? The nurse suggested that it could be anxiety related which might be so since I'm entering a herx I think, but I thought I'd come here to see what others have gone through.

As always, thanks for your help everyone!

11/12/2008 02:58 PM
Jenn56
Jenn56  

Hey ,YES YES YES,It has been one of my biggest problems the last year,It kinda comes and goes i feel i cant get any air in,and i hate that feeling but i do have heart problems due to lyme,But 4 some reason i dont think its fr my heart,im always out of breath,They also told me anxiety,I have to go 4 that sleep test in 2 wks it also happens when im sleeping i jump up rt out of my sleep,,I hate it

11/12/2008 03:00 PM
Jenn56
Jenn56  

O yeah,i do smoke and im sure thats not helping,,

11/12/2008 03:06 PM
alyssao
alyssao  

give up the butts! Wink

11/12/2008 03:24 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Alyssao,

Question, is there any pain with it in the chest. Is there any inflammation of the breast area?

I have similar issues but pain accompanies it. I was diagnosed with costchrondritis...inflammation of the chest wall - due to the lyme.

I also get the gasping for air feeling when the nerves in my spine go on the fritz...

Dont know if this helps at all...

Cool

11/12/2008 04:43 PM
KStuff
KStuff  

Yes, I've heard that this can also be a symptom of a co-infection. I want to say Bartonella, but don't quote me on it. My understanding is that lyme can effect the autonomic nervous system that's responsible for regulating breath and other unconscious processes. Once, the air hunger was so bad, that I was afraid to go to sleep. I didn't trust my body to keep breathing while I was not awake. What antibiotic are you on? Bactrim made my air hunger worse.

11/12/2008 05:05 PM
Jenn56
Jenn56  

Well i always have chest pain kinda by my heart but they said that fr my heart beatiing so fast,on meds 4 that.But when i get the air thing no pain just cant get a breath of air feeling ,i was at the hosp,last winter at least 3 times a wk 4 this,They keep saying anxiety,but i did hear that lyme can do this,So im not sure,JENN

Post edited by: Jenn56, at: 11/12/2008 17:06

11/12/2008 05:09 PM
Jenn56
Jenn56  

Yeah its kinda like a gasping 4 air feeling,But it happens alot and will go away 4 a wk and then come rt back..

11/12/2008 06:15 PM
alyssao
alyssao  

I'm on Amoxicillin, Clarithromycin, Probinicid and Hydroxychloro-something-or-other. He threw in a daily dose of Fluconazole to take care of the yeast.

11/12/2008 06:17 PM
alyssao
alyssao  

Yeah, no pain really, just the out of breath feeling. It came back for about an hour tonight and has gone away now. Hopefully it will stay away! Thanks everyone! I see my LLMD on Friday and will see what he thinks.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved